Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123471227 ... LastLast

Thread: Odex Directors wanna sue anime downloaders in Singapore.

Default Re: Odex Directors wanna sue anime downloaders in Singapore. WTF

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    how about paypal and/or internet banking
    Internet banking? Not a viable mode of payment other than used in forums as mass order, etc.

Even the local websites usually use eNETS, cashcard and credit card. However, for the earlier 2 methods, an additional reader need to be purchased seperately.

Paypal is not too commonly used in Singapore as well. I'd think more common for overseas website.

yeah businesses need to embrace the internet for distribution

maybe the content owners should do it instead
    cut out the middle men and reduce prices

post the vids on itunes
    how about quality vids and fan club membership
    agreed with your first point and 2nd, but unforuntately odex right now seems to be more interested in their current profit margin and not the long time customer loyalty or repeat buying. I dunnoe about the rest of you but i'm not buying any odex product, period.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    agreed with your first point and 2nd, but unforuntately odex right now seems to be more interested in their current profit margin and not the long time customer loyalty or repeat buying. I dunnoe about the rest of you but i'm not buying any odex product, period.
    so right now, someone should speak with the content owners and discuss an online deal
    just remember to give me a treat when you make money

yeah businesses need to embrace the internet for distribution

maybe the content owners should do it instead
    cut out the middle men and reduce prices

post the vids on itunes
    alot of original anime makers are small time businesses, they don't have the capacity to run global distribution, unless they make their animes free for download directly from the internet (but then they'll need to live on grass until they get famous)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    Internet banking? Not a viable mode of payment other than used in forums as mass order, etc.

Even the local websites usually use eNETS, cashcard and credit card. However, for the earlier 2 methods, an additional reader need to be purchased seperately.

Paypal is not too commonly used in Singapore as well. I'd think more common for overseas website.
    i can only give suggestions, they will need to do their own research and find their own solution

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    I wonder how many will go for paid downloads considering they can download elsewhere for free. It's the same situation for other media, music, movies, TV serials, etc. The way to fight back is not by suing the downloaders (who may be potential customers) but to offer more value for the paid version, like nowadays, if you buy a music CD, you get fancy packaging, manual, sometimes even a video thrown in. Real fans will be attracted to buy these original sets.
    I totally agree on that.

Example

Pirated DVD SGD 5 to 7 dollars.
    Quality might be excellent or lousy depending on luck
    Audio can be crappy and most of the time subtitles are done by jokers that cant spell to save their lives.

Legal DVD SGD 14 to 17 dollars
    Just movie alone

Legal DVD SGD 20 to 25 dollars
    With making of, interviews etc etc

Most important of all with the extra few dollars I pay, I am assured of good quality picture, good audio and correct subtitles, I would buy legal.

However if legal discs are priced at 40 and above..... give me pirated anytime man.....

anime market is actually a very free market, not every single anime can get popular, and it's only through unlimited distribution via internet that some get famous ... but it's true that end of the day, very often the middlemen are standing there and making loads by not doing very much, time to cancel the middlemen from the picture

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    I totally agree on that.

Example

Audio can be crappy and most of the time subtitles are done by jokers that cant spell to save their lives.

Just movie alone

Most important of all with the extra few dollars I pay, I am assured of good quality picture, good audio and correct subtitles, I would buy legal.

However if legal discs are priced at 40 and above..... give me pirated anytime man.....
    A copy of the Legal DVD ... priceless? horhor
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    .......... The way to fight back is not by suing the downloaders (who may be potential customers) but to offer more value for the paid version, like nowadays, if you buy a music CD, you get fancy packaging, manual, sometimes even a video thrown in. Real fans will be attracted to buy these original sets.
    Maybe they can get more money by suing a few downloaders than making everyone pay a fee....
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    A copy of the Legal DVD ... priceless? horhor
    bad joke.

I am just wondering if Odex have the distribution rights to ALL anime made in Japan?

What if the downloader's particulars given to Odex, downloaded anime that Odex doesnt have rights to distribute? How to filter??

Who's the genius that tot of this??? $5000 bucks fine? The article mentioned about 3,000 downloaders.. thats S$15Million

Odex have the rights to distribute the anime but they don't own the IP rights, the animation company that developed the anime should be the one sueing, not the distributer. There's also no mention from Odex that they would share the money from the fines collected with the animation companies they 'seemed' to represent.

Its all about greed
    Last edited by FooFighter; 16th August 2007 at 05:24 PM.

bad joke.
    Bad lamer joker me horhor..
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    I totally agree on that.

Example

Just movie alone

you forgot games

$69.90 for one freaking game!!!? pirated

i'm not following you about their biz model...can explain?
    Plain and simple.

What is the standard technology for media releases these days? DVD right?
    What do u see displayed so prominently and nobody wants to buy? VCD eh?
    Tell me how dated the shows are and when u're at it, tell me which are the anime megahits of the yester-years that are released on VCD?

Cosplay, anime gatherings, did u see them sponsoring and holding a prominent spot around? I don't recall. Plz correct me on this if I'm mistakened.

Licensing information. Did u see them appearing in public or making press releases on the anime that they had acquired?
    Their homepage is a perfect example of "seriously backdated"

Marketing. When was the last time did u see them making TV ads on new products?
    When was the last time did u see newspaper ads?
    In fact did u see them doing serious and proper marketing of products? Its like seeing a magic show in VCD shops these days, "Hey! It wasn't here last week!" thing.
    As a layman (I'm not calling in the Marketing experts around), u think that's good marketing at the very least?

And this entire legal sticking point. The press announcements they had made and stuff on their stand about their sales and the so-called 'illegal downloads' seems to be pointing towards an extremely slanted point-of-view that illegal downloads are the sole cause of their serious drop in sales. Sole cause? Hmm... SOLE cause? Can someone please tell me about cause & effect?

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter View Post
    I am just wondering if Odex have the distribution rights to ALL anime made in Japan?

What if the downloader's particulars given to Odex, downloaded anime that Odex doesnt have rights to distribute? How to filter??

Who's the genius that tot of this??? $5000 bucks fine? The article mentioned about 3,000 downloaders.. thats S$15Million

Odex have the rights to distribute the anime but they don't own the IP rights, the animation company that developed the anime should be the one sueing, not the distributer.

Its all about greed
    mmmhmmm don't buy odex! o and maybe ot but Vote for Claudia in Ivan's Election!!! lol
    Last edited by garou12; 16th August 2007 at 05:30 PM.

Good good. Hopefully that will deter people from illegally downloading anime.
    They bought the rights as distributor, the buy it for a reason (rationally, I think it's for money right?), not just for fun.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    anime market is actually a very free market, not every single anime can get popular, and it's only through unlimited distribution via internet that some get famous ... but it's true that end of the day, very often the middlemen are standing there and making loads by not doing very much, time to cancel the middlemen from the picture
    true, if the anime maker can select one distributor for whole www distrbution, that should cut down a lot of middlemen, and safe the fans quite some money. They just need to have the subtitle ready. And the local don't need to wait so long.

Not sure about censorship though
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    you forgot games

$69.90 for one freaking game!!!? pirated
    Pirated wiped out liao........... no choice.... and put it this way.... pirated games always got problem. Have crashed a few desktops on pirated software.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Plain and simple.

Tell me how dated the shows are and when u're at it, tell me which are the anime megahits of the yester-years that are released on VCD?

Cosplay, anime gatherings, did u see them sponsoring and holding a prominent spot around? I don't recall. Plz correct me on this if I'm mistakened.

Licensing information. Did u see them appearing in public or making press releases on the anime that they had acquired?

In fact did u see them doing serious and proper marketing of products? Its like seeing a magic show in VCD shops these days, "Hey! It wasn't here last week!" thing.
    As a layman (I'm not calling in the Marketing experts around), u think that's good marketing at the very least?

And this entire legal sticking point. The press announcements they had made and stuff on their stand about their sales and the so-called 'illegal downloads' seems to be pointing towards an extremely slanted point-of-view that illegal downloads are the sole cause of their serious drop in sales. Sole cause? Hmm... SOLE cause? Can someone please tell me about cause & effect?
    Well said I never heard of Odex until I read the article on net.

Btw I think its wrong that the Odex guy is getting death threats.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Plain and simple.

That's not marketing. Its not even sales. Its fly by the seat of your pants laziness!!!no wonder their sales suffering...not even willing to do any work to at least tell customers hey we're here and we have this!

p.s. ot: Vote Claudia!

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123471227 ... LastLast