Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Macro close up filter with 50mm

  1. #1

    Default Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Hi guys

    May I know which close up filter i should use if I intend to use my 50mm as a macro lens?

    I dont want to invest in a macro lens as yet, so was considering a close up filter to see how my macro taste goes. Brands of filters and their pros and cons most welcomed.

    Thanks!
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

  2. #2

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    I got the Hoya +4 closeup filter for abt $20.

    Sample photo with 50 1.8 & Hoya +4 closeup filter
    http://genegoh.multiply.com/photos/photo/30/1

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bukit Batok!
    Posts
    330

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    i think a closeup filter is just a piece of magnifying glass.


    taken with 50mm and ordinary magnifying glass mounted on it. not really sharp but the magnification is good
    i am slardar

  4. #4

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Ya, I would agree that the closeup filter lowers quality the most, but it's the cheapest.
    For me, I hardly ever take macros, so it's ok for me. =)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by genegoh View Post
    I got the Hoya +4 closeup filter for abt $20.

    Sample photo with 50 1.8 & Hoya +4 closeup filter
    http://genegoh.multiply.com/photos/photo/30/1
    Sorry, OT a bit, is the price of filter around this range in most of the reputable shops mentioned in forum? Would love to get one and try too.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    thanks guys for your feedback.
    are there particular brands and types that i must look out for? for eg +4 brings me closer, but will there be quality loss?

    will +4 have more quality loss as compared to +2?
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    I'm using two +4 Hoya closeup filters on my 50mm. Here's an example of the result.

    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    1,355

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm









    not sure what the filter is.. most probably a +4
    Last edited by aloyyolaaloy; 16th August 2007 at 08:57 PM.
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

  9. #9
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Benji77 View Post
    thanks guys for your feedback.
    are there particular brands and types that i must look out for? for eg +4 brings me closer, but will there be quality loss?

    will +4 have more quality loss as compared to +2?
    The single element close up filters might have an acceptable sharpness in the small centre of the lens but the periphery is very soft. A dual/multi element close up filter performs better, and is a better buy.

    Hoya has a +10 dual element filter. Other brands include the Canon 250D, Zoerk , Raynox

    Ryan

  10. #10

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Benji77 View Post
    Hi guys

    May I know which close up filter i should use if I intend to use my 50mm as a macro lens?

    I dont want to invest in a macro lens as yet, so was considering a close up filter to see how my macro taste goes. Brands of filters and their pros and cons most welcomed.

    Thanks!
    There are a few ways for you to use the 50mm lens.

    #1: Simplest is to get close up lens.
    But there are different quality and hence cost. Usually they work best at higher focal length, but still ok for larger insects for smaller focal length.

    so depends what you want to take. DF, butts, than maybe ok. Spiders...than CU filters may not get the magnification you want.

    So what dioptre value? The higher the dioptre, the lesser the DOF. And closer the working distance, so thats the trade-off. But you get a larger magnification.

    Poor quality CU lens are single element lens. Cheap, and good image at center of lens, but at the edges, the quality drops.

    Double element lens cost more and have better quality as they are achromatic. They give good results thru out. E.g. can see here:
    http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/ach...l?200620#chart
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html


    #2: Reverse your 50mm lens. It will be a >+20dioptre CU lens.
    See here:
    http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg...Date=1/10/2005

  11. #11

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    impressive close up.
    btw, how did u guys manage to capture such close up pic without the insects running for their lives?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    1,355

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by cool-gal View Post
    impressive close up.
    btw, how did u guys manage to capture such close up pic without the insects running for their lives?
    we dope them
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

  13. #13

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    hmmm...seems like i need to select carefully then.
    i may have to help out with some macro shots (for work)
    and i have been toying to get a macro lens recently.
    just the cost is weighing me down.

    maybe i will just try out a +2 with my 105mm & 50mm and see
    the results.

    oh yes, aloyyolaaloy, your 2nd shot of that green bug is cool!
    if I can do that with a +4, i am happy already!
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

  14. #14

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by tchuanye View Post
    There are a few ways for you to use the 50mm lens.

    #1: Simplest is to get close up lens.
    But there are different quality and hence cost. Usually they work best at higher focal length, but still ok for larger insects for smaller focal length.

    so depends what you want to take. DF, butts, than maybe ok. Spiders...than CU filters may not get the magnification you want.

    So what dioptre value? The higher the dioptre, the lesser the DOF. And closer the working distance, so thats the trade-off. But you get a larger magnification.

    Poor quality CU lens are single element lens. Cheap, and good image at center of lens, but at the edges, the quality drops.

    Double element lens cost more and have better quality as they are achromatic. They give good results thru out. E.g. can see here:
    http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/ach...l?200620#chart
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html


    #2: Reverse your 50mm lens. It will be a >+20dioptre CU lens.
    See here:
    http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg...Date=1/10/2005
    Thank you. this is very good info for me.
    what kind of cost am i looking at if i go for double elements?
    would i be better off saving for a proper macro lens in a way?
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Instead of spending your $$$ on filters that will only fit your lens thread why not just get extension tube that can fit most of your lens!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by cool-gal View Post
    impressive close up.
    btw, how did u guys manage to capture such close up pic without the insects running for their lives?
    Depending on types of insects. Damselflies are usually slower and let u take them very close-up, similar to dragonflies, grasshoppers and spiders.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    toa payoh
    Posts
    1,355

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Benji77 View Post
    hmmm...seems like i need to select carefully then.
    i may have to help out with some macro shots (for work)
    and i have been toying to get a macro lens recently.
    just the cost is weighing me down.

    maybe i will just try out a +2 with my 105mm & 50mm and see
    the results.

    oh yes, aloyyolaaloy, your 2nd shot of that green bug is cool!
    if I can do that with a +4, i am happy already!
    im far from good lah..
    just got very good shifus...
    i love your shots
    Mountain Training #101: Crouching Photographer Hidden Ladder

  18. #18

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    I have a canon 250D close up filter (52mm thread). I only have the Nikon 18-135 kit lens with 67mm thread. Any idea if I can mount it on my kit lens or should i keep it till I get my 50mm 1.8 which also uses 52mm thread?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by aloyyolaaloy View Post
    im far from good lah..
    just got very good shifus...
    i love your shots
    ummm..sorry, what shots of mine?
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Singapore of course
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Macro close up filter with 50mm

    Quote Originally Posted by aloyyolaaloy View Post








    not sure what the filter is.. most probably a +4
    How to take a picture with "BLACK BLACK" background???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •