Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you deal with junk mail?

Off the shoulder of Orion, near the Tannhauser gate

Default Re: How do you deal with junk mail?

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg View Post
    Not cannot get is dont understand your context.

Anyway no point talking to people like you who dont run business. when you run your own business then you know. Sigh.... complain complain complain.... only know how to complain. Everyone else is crap only one's self is correct no wonder our leaders say we are a bunch of whiners.
    Look CE, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. And whether I have run a business or not is irrelevant. Anyone who runs a business should expect criticism if what they do annoys or irritates people. Besides, its not good business practice if it loses people's goodwill.

Just like the business practices of some shops at Sim Lim - you hear a lot of complaints about them on CS. Its the same with this thread. I cannot accept the excuse that they are just trying to make a living. Its how you do it that separates the good and the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RSU View Post
    Look CE, I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. And whether I have run a business or not is irrelevant. Anyone who runs a business should expect criticism if what they do annoys or irritates people. Besides, its not good business practice if it loses people's goodwill.

Just like the business practices of some shops at Sim Lim - you hear a lot of complaints about them on CS. Its the same with this thread. I cannot accept the excuse that they are just trying to make a living. Its how you do it that separates the good and the bad.
    As I said before it is junk to you if you dont find it useful, however if you find the information on the paper useful then it is gold to you. I cannot understand how does a leaflet advertising legit stuff like locksmiths, housing agents be considered something so "evil".... as I said let and let live.... if you dont find it useful then just throw them away. Dont have to make such a big fuss over it as if it will choke you to death. As I said many times over, many of these small time biz dont have the money to go do big time ads. Why push them over the edge when it is already so hard to make a living here in Singapore..?

I actually do have a folder named SPAM where I keep useful SPAM mails and faxes (received eletronically on a PC, so no paper is wasted) such as printer supplies, cleaning and renovation services and so on. I might actually need these services one day, then I know where to go.

Yahoo has a good spam filter, so does my own mail host. Not much problem looking through for familiar names. As for paper junk mail, I just chuck into recycle box. Those with blank one one side I will use for printing stuff.

Like the joke RSU - just shared it with some others.

CE - some suggestions:

I agree with you in part. Some people like looking at junk mail and flyers and some people don't care, they find it a waste of resources (trees and energy in our new environmentally caring world) and a waste of time. Every month a tree comes through my door that I try to politely tell the offending companies I do not want their services. IN fact I like roygoh's suggestion.

Anyway how do businesses find the people who like receiving information? You give people the option of taking/obtaining the information by (in no specific order):
    - Have a one page website and advertise with someone like Google. You have free space with your ISP
    - Handing flyers on the street
    - Putting the information up on community boards
    - Put a "take a leaflet" stand where people wait, e.g. next to toilets, bus stands, mrt stations, entrance/exits of supermarkets
    - Putting flyers in mailboxes that want the information. For mailboxes that have been sealed up or have a notice such as "do not want junk mail/flyers/free newspapers" on their box, we expect businesses to respect that (which does not appear to happen!)

To measure how successful the flyers are, have a "return this flyer back to get x% discount or something with your first order".
    Last edited by Lady Ice; 18th August 2007 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    CE - some suggestions:

I agree with you in part. Some people like looking at junk mail and flyers and some people don't care, they find it a waste of resources (trees and energy in our new environmentally caring world) and a waste of time. Every month a tree comes through my door that I try to politely tell the offending companies I do not want their services. IN fact I like roygoh's suggestion.

Anyway how do businesses find the people who like receiving information? You give people the option of taking/obtaining the information by (in no specific order):
    - Have a one page website and advertise with someone like Google. You have free space with your ISP
    - Handing flyers on the street
    - Putting the information up on community boards
    - Put a "take a leaflet" stand where people wait, e.g. next to toilets, bus stands, mrt stations, entrance/exits of supermarkets
    - Putting flyers in mailboxes that want the information. For mailboxes that have been sealed up or have a notice such as "do not want junk mail/flyers/free newspapers" on their box, we expect businesses to respect that (which does not appear to happen!)

To measure how successful the flyers are, have a "return this flyer back to get x% discount or something with your first order".
    yes your ideas are good, at least it gives small time business a chance to advertise and also collect data.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12