Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

I don't know how much you know and understand about photography.

From the question you've asked, I presume that you're completely new except probably have been using a compact digital camera to shoot in auto mode just like most casual photo takers are doing.

You may want to start with a prosumer camera (1st hand = $600-$950 or 2nd hand still within 1 year warranty= $400-$700) and still have some money for a tripod ($30-$80), filter, extra memory card, extra battery (or battery charger and rechargeable batteries), flash etc.

Spend 6-months to 1 year reading, shooting and learning, and to find out how strong your interests in photography is.

After that period, you would be in a much better position to decide whether you are willing to spend a lot more money for photography equipment. If you decide to spend more and go into DSLR world or give up photography, then you can still sell off you prosumer camera (probably at a loss of between $100-$400). Possibly too, you may decide a prosumer camera is just what you need and stay put.

Some forumers may strongly advice you to jump straight into DSLR mostly because :
    either
    a) they have either gone through the prosumer camera route and now into DSLR, and now think that they should have gotten into DSLR from the start.

However, these people are those whose interests have been sustained and intensified, and therefore are willing to spend much more on photography. So naturally, from their own experience, they would advice strongly going into DSLR straight away instead of going through the prosumer camera route. At the same time but unseen, they are also many who started with a prosumer camera but eventually gave up photography and are no longer here to give advices.
    or
    b) they have jumped straight into DSLR for various reasons (e.g. have the budget and/or sheepishly listening to others and/or passionate about photography, following friends, already an old hand in SLR etc.).

Again, they are the ones who have already ascertained their interests in photography by now and so their decisions to get straight into DSLR turn out to be correct. However, they are also many who regretted jumping straight into DSLR but are no longer around photography forum to give advices against jumping in.

Learning photography takes time, money and some hardwork. Your willingness to spend time, money and hardwork depends very much on the strength and sustainability of your interests and how deep your pocket is.

So don't take advices wholesale. Do your homework and think carefully. Different people have different passions, situations and financial positions.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 16th August 2007 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasoh View Post
    Hi, I'm a noob in photography so much so that I would like to go for an entry level cameras such as D40 but the price really puts me down. I guess this can only come true in near future.

Previously, I got a KM X50, which is a digicam and I would like to upgrade to a better one. I read through the newbie corner and found out that most of the threads here relates to dSLRs and none of it to digicams. I did some research and found some preferences ranked in my choice;

1) Sony DSC-H9
    2) Canon PowerShot S5 IS
    3) Sony T100

I don't know if I can get any guidance for this but apart from still images, I would also like to capture images from fireworks and in huge concert hall. My gf prefers my 3rd choice due to its design but I don't know what to say to convince her.

I'm waiting for Comex to get one of these. Though dSLRs seems to be a better choice in photography but I guess I have to wait for a couple of years more before I could afford it. Right now, I guess I have to get the best out of my $900/- budget.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    Looks like you need to browse around the photographic shops and you will get some ideas of prices of cameras.
    With a $900 budget, oh my, you can get a lot out of it : Nikon D40 - $850, Canon S5is - below $800, Sony H7 - Below $700, Canon G7, Canon A640, Canon 710is, Canon 570is, Fuji ........... and I have not yet included Pentax 110D, and Olympus superzooms that you can check. They should be within your ' grasp ', for lack of a suitable word off hand.

Don't go for second hand cameras. If you have $900 budget, go to some of the bigger camera shops and the salesman will be very happy to serve you, whether you end up buying or not.
    Last edited by bukit98; 16th August 2007 at 07:09 PM.

clockunder, your advice is great. i'm adding to the newbie thread.

Hi, just wondering have you all heard of this model Canon EOS 10D? I got a colleague selling.. He claims to bought it in April 2007 at 1k+. He wants to sell and ask me how much can I offer.
    Hope you haven't promise or agree to buy, cos he is clearing lying to you and wanted to cheat you.

Canon EOS 10D is a very old and out of production model some years ago, it subsequent model 20D (which I'm currently using for more than 4 years now) is also out dated model, the current 30D model is also in the process of getting out of the trend with the release of 40D next year.

If you think you just want a workable DSLR camera to 'play' with for the start, then offer him no more than $200 for it cause he is lying.

Looking through the Buy/Sell Forum and see if any model that fits your budget will be even better.

Tell him (a tinge of suan-ning) about that camera's age. And ask: "You got that 4 months ago at 1k+??", smirk in your face and walk away.

;-p
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder View Post
    I don't know how much you know and understand about photography.....................So don't take advices wholesale. Do your homework and think carefully. Different people have different passions, situations and financial positions.
    Wow~ I'm really amazed and touched to receive such reply. Thanks! I have pmed you for some doubts. Thanks.

Hi,

yesterday was a kind of 'tempted' day for me. With all the info I read in the forum and the good reviews of using a dSLR, I really thought of buying one. After a night of reflecting and the advice from Clockunder, I guess I was almost at the impulse buying stage and need more read ups.

I found out that my interest is shooting night scenes including fireworks and concert 'happenings'. And now is the point of which prosumer cameras offers the best.

Really excited to see such a union in this community. Well done the bros of ClubSnap!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder View Post
    You may want to start with a prosumer camera (1st hand = $600-$950 or 2nd hand still within 1 year warranty= $400-$700) and still have some money for a tripod ($30-$80), filter, extra memory card, extra battery (or battery charger and rechargeable batteries), flash etc.
    With D40 in the price range of the better prosumers, I don't see why anyone should get a prosumer instead. Just treat it like a prosumer with the advantage of negligible shutter lag, faster AF, less noisy images at high ISO.

If the interest in photography is really there, it will take one further down the road before the need to upgrade. If not, then it being a DSLR would probably command a higher 2nd hand value.

Exactly. A dSLR without the upgrades, is just like a prosumer. But lots better.
    APAD | Blog

Hi,

I found out that my interest is shooting night scenes including fireworks and concert 'happenings'. And now is the point of which prosumer cameras offers the best.

Thanks.
    Fireworks, you need a tripod.
    Concert happenings, you need a flash.

However, the shutterlag in a prosumer class is gonna frustrate you the most for the above mentioned scenario.
    APAD | Blog

Blog Entries

actually the DSLR is better at night shots and concert happenings than a prosumer, mainly due to the lower noise from the larger sensor.
    do more research

don't rush into it, try out the camera if you can.

Hi, just wondering have you all heard of this model Canon EOS 10D? I got a colleague selling.. He claims to bought it in April 2007 at 1k+. He wants to sell and ask me how much can I offer.
    Your friend is not honest with you. Maybe he bought a reused DLSR from someone around that price. I can said D20 model is easily more that 5 years old.
    Last edited by wranger; 17th August 2007 at 10:25 AM.
    UK HMS Photojournalist

Hi,

yesterday was a kind of 'tempted' day for me. With all the info I read in the forum and the good reviews of using a dSLR, I really thought of buying one. After a night of reflecting and the advice from Clockunder, I guess I was almost at the impulse buying stage and need more read ups.

Really excited to see such a union in this community. Well done the bros of ClubSnap!

Thanks.
    Ah! Now you see, you are interested in night shots and concerts. These 2 kinds of shots requires very good exposure & shutter, this is often achieved by using the Manual mode, especially for fireworks.

However, I can see that you may not know exactly what you want yet or what really interest you yet. Don't be surprised that you will lost interest in shooting fireworks after sometime, when you used to be so crazy over it.

Perhaps, my suggestion to you is(dare not advise lah..hehe), read up more on features of each type of cameras, try them out, to see their pros and cons.

I agree with what clockunder said, having a DSLR is not just about the body + a lens, you need to consider about other necessary accessories, so if you really not sure what suits your needs, I suggest you take yr time to read up on camera features and basic photography concepts.

Here are some basic concepts you might like to read up on :
    1) Shutter speed
    2) Aperture
    3) ISO
    4) Exposure compensation
    5) Metering
    6) Composition

Of coz there are more about photography than just these 6 concepts, but if you know how to play around with these 5 settings, I think you should get a reasonably good picture.

With the above knowledge, you will be able to see what a DSLR, Prosumer or Digi-compact can do for you & their limitations. And then when you know about what all these are about, you can understand the camera specs better.

I always believe in doing my homework rather than a lot of hear-say.
    Last edited by iprospect; 17th August 2007 at 11:46 AM.
    Life is short, enjoy it!;)

Hi,

After days of reading and asking for advices, I have decided to get the Olympus E500. Yes, a dSLR. It's a 2nd hand one priced at $650 with standard package and 14-45mm lens. I'm not sure if it's a good one but from what I have read, I believe that its the person using it that makes the difference. So it's time to brush up my skills. Thanks for all and I do hope forward to learn more from the professionals here.

Cool. Enjoy your camera.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Hi,

After days of reading and asking for advices, I have decided to get the Olympus E500. Yes, a dSLR. It's a 2nd hand one priced at $650 with standard package and 14-45mm lens. I'm not sure if it's a good one but from what I have read, I believe that its the person using it that makes the difference. So it's time to brush up my skills. Thanks for all and I do hope forward to learn more from the professionals here.
    I think it should be good for a start! Enjoy shooting!

It's great to see your enthusiam for photography , and to finally take the plunge.

I too have some comments for you:
    - dSLR cannot take movies of fireworks ( in case u didn't know )
    - Comex 07 is only less than 2 weeks away. I suppose many distributors will be having lotsa promos on digicams, as the last one in June was very quiet. Do wait until then to see if you can get a NEW dSLR with kit lens.

Hi,

yah, in a way, those who cope well with their devices shows the photos. in a similar way with hand phones, it is a matter of getting used.

as for E500, search for the pictures by a forumer "E500". He produces some of the best night photography among others like hosea, eikin and hamzee. some portraits are done also very well.

Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post
    It's great to see your enthusiam for photography , and to finally take the plunge.

- Comex 07 is only less than 2 weeks away. I suppose many distributors will be having lotsa promos on digicams, as the last one in June was very quiet. Do wait until then to see if you can get a NEW dSLR with kit lens.
    do they offer good prices for dslrs? probably cheaper than recommended retail but more expensive than the market retail. and hard to be cheaper than the 2nd hand.

Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post

Looks like you just told me something to make me regret..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast