Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

Buy the kit lens, not sure how much Nikon kit lens is second hand.

You could also consider other lenses other than the kit lens, kit lens is usually either 18-55 or 18-70.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Buy the kit lens, not sure how much Nikon kit lens is second hand.

You could also consider other lenses other than the kit lens, kit lens is usually either 18-55 or 18-70.
    Sorry to ask but 300mm lens are dedicated for what kind of shots?

Quote Originally Posted by nicholasoh View Post
    Sorry to ask but 300mm lens are dedicated for what kind of shots?
    Huh?

300mm lenses are VERY long. Can be used for a lot of things, depending on what context, setting and situation as well as what you wish to portray. Same goes for many many other lenses. Start with a good comfortable range, e.g. 17-50, 18-55, 18-70.

Huh?

300mm lenses are VERY long. Can be used for a lot of things, depending on what context, setting and situation as well as what you wish to portray. Same goes for many many other lenses. Start with a good comfortable range, e.g. 17-50, 18-55, 18-70.
    Lol.. I guess it's a nonsense question that I have asked. I just went through the Lenses and Flashes section under Marketplace and indeed seems alien to me.. Is this what I'm suppose to get?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=303042

Lol.. I guess it's a nonsense question that I have asked. I just went through the Lenses and Flashes section under Marketplace and indeed seems alien to me.. Is this what I'm suppose to get?

18-70 is a good range, if you ask me.

Not sure about the lens, I use Pentax, wait for the Nikon people to tell you.

In the meantime you might want to read these posts by zoosh, roughly about lenses. He has a good guide to DSLR photography here.

Post 1
    Post 2
    Post 3
    Post 4

Not a nonsense question, we all learn.

There is a good article here, 4 pages on focal lengths.

In general though, anything small is usually used for landscapes (e.g. 10 to 35mm range), anything in the mid range should be used for humans (~50-105 therebaouts) and portraits, anything in the long range (70 mm and above) has a lot of different usages, sometimes for nature, etc. BUT note that this is a mix and match thing, you can use wide angle lenses for portrait shots, and telephoto lenses for landscape shots; it all depends on purpose like I said.

Beginners should start out with a zoom lens, I think. No use getting prime.

Blog Entries

Alamak Ortega, got 80IS for Canon?
    sorry lah, typo error

should be IXUS 800 IS

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Aiyo, look at the TS 1st post leh. He wanted an entry level dSLR, just that not enuff budget for now.

So he DEFINATELY, EVENTUALLY will get dSLR.

Thus, we just tell him, with that kinda budget ($900), can already get a second-hand one (with spare cash some more).

Just that he don't like 2nd hand stuffs.

With a $900 budget, just top up a little more (~$50) can get a new D40 kit.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    With a $900 budget, just top up a little more (~$50) can get a new D40 kit.
    But I search over cnet and saw it more than 1k..

But I search over cnet and saw it more than 1k..
    That's probably the list price. Call up Alan Photo (SLS) -63360922 and ask. Guess what, I just did, they quoted me $835 (before GST) for D40 Kit. That works out to be about $893.45, which is within your budget.

You probably could get similar prices at MS Colour, TK Foto, Cathay, etc...
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th August 2007 at 01:15 PM.

the pricing in cnet is usually not the cheapest you can find. probably the price when it was just launched.

looks like d40 is the least expensive dslr around?
    i am slardar

Quote Originally Posted by slardar View Post
    the pricing in cnet is usually not the cheapest you can find. probably the price when it was just launched.

looks like d40 is the least expensive dslr around?
    I think Pentax is not too expensive also?

There are pricelists in the respective forums also. This one is for Nikon.
    http://clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292045
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 16th August 2007 at 01:38 PM.

Hmm.. Looks like D40 cost cheaper than DSC-H9 and for what I know D40 is better as it's an dSLR but I was thinking what is the difference between it?

Hmm.. Looks like D40 cost cheaper than DSC-H9 and for what I know D40 is better as it's an dSLR but I was thinking what is the difference between it?
    Donch get D40, lenses need special kind, very expensive.

Come, now is time to try to turn you to Dark Side.

Come to Pentax!

This is too high le. Find a D50. It is better then D70.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Up your budget a bit & you can get this already.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=303713
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Hi, just wondering have you all heard of this model Canon EOS 10D? I got a colleague selling.. He claims to bought it in April 2007 at 1k+. He wants to sell and ask me how much can I offer.

It's an old model. Heard that the 40D is coming out soon. I can't advise much cos I am not a Canon user. You can read the review here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...non_eos10d.asp
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

My presonal view..... get a 2nd hand DSLR..... because in the end, U will still comes into the 'darkside'......

Scuba & Father... For Life

A lot of newbies tend to think only the cost of a 2nd hand camera body + kit lens and therefore erroneously think that the cost of going into DSLR is comparable to using a brand new prosumer camera.

For DSLR, you will almost for sure need to buy more lens + accessories (such as tripod, filters, extra batteries, extra memory card, flash, etc.) and also costs and time for maintenance (dry cabinet, sensor cleaning etc.).

For e.g., just a single good lens can easily cost as much as the camera body; a good tripod will cost >$300 and a good flash is between $300-$600.

Eventually, you will need to spend more than $2,000 easily even if you buy a 2nd hand DSLR body with kit lens at below $1,000.

You really need to find out what you want : type of photography (macro/close-up, candid, still life, abstract, sports, landscape etc.) and what kind of image quality you desire and the type of light condition you shoot mostly in.

Some types of lenses and camera bodies are more suited for certain types of photography and lens quality varies very widely. A cheap 70-300mm lens with small aperture cost only about $200-$400 but a good one costs over $1,000-$2,800.

Moreover, many people's interests in photography wane not very long after getting into it. Those who have gotten into DSLR and eventually exited not very long after are no longer here to give you advices. While many of them have sold their gears in the buy/sell section of clubsnap, many still have their equipment sitting in their dry cabinet but no time (due to waned interests) to shoot.

At the end of the day, you need to first find out what you want to shoot, the costs of various equipments and see whether your interests in photography can be sustained before deciding on what type of equipment is appropriate within your budget.

My advice is : if you don't know yet, don't fall into the pithole which many newbies fell into : buy into a cheap DSLR camera body + kit lens which falls within their low budget and then slowly realise that they need to spend much more than what they have thought because they didn't do enough homework before hand.

Hi, just wondering have you all heard of this model Canon EOS 10D? I got a colleague selling.. He claims to bought it in April 2007 at 1k+. He wants to sell and ask me how much can I offer.
    The 10D is super old already ...came out in the 1st half of 2003.

Its successor 20D was introduced towards the end of 2004 while the latest is 30D which was marketed in the 1st half of 2006.

Now people are already talking about 40D coming out in early 2008 or may be even earlier.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast