Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64

Thread: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

  1. #1

    Default Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Hi, I'm a noob in photography so much so that I would like to go for an entry level cameras such as D40 but the price really puts me down. I guess this can only come true in near future.

    Previously, I got a KM X50, which is a digicam and I would like to upgrade to a better one. I read through the newbie corner and found out that most of the threads here relates to dSLRs and none of it to digicams. I did some research and found some preferences ranked in my choice;

    1) Sony DSC-H9
    2) Canon PowerShot S5 IS
    3) Sony T100

    I don't know if I can get any guidance for this but apart from still images, I would also like to capture images from fireworks and in huge concert hall. My gf prefers my 3rd choice due to its design but I don't know what to say to convince her.

    I'm waiting for Comex to get one of these. Though dSLRs seems to be a better choice in photography but I guess I have to wait for a couple of years more before I could afford it. Right now, I guess I have to get the best out of my $900/- budget.

    Thanks in advance for any guidance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Do look at the forthcoming Panasonic FZ18. Should be launched at Comex end of the mth.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    491

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Welcome to Clubsnap.

    Please browse through the various forum categories and look carefully, it's not just about DLSRs, there are plenty of discussion of compact and prosumer digi cameras as well.

    And compact cameras can also taken quality photographs. Like someone said before, it's not about the camera, but it's the person who is behind the camera.

    And you are most welcome to join us at the 2nd Newbie Outing:

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=302784
    Last edited by Bored Dad; 16th August 2007 at 07:59 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Hi Nicholas,

    Welcome to the big family. Enjoy your stay here.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  5. #5
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,125

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Welcome to CS
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasoh View Post
    Hi, I'm a noob in photography so much so that I would like to go for an entry level cameras such as D40 but the price really puts me down. I guess this can only come true in near future.

    Previously, I got a KM X50, which is a digicam and I would like to upgrade to a better one. I read through the newbie corner and found out that most of the threads here relates to dSLRs and none of it to digicams. I did some research and found some preferences ranked in my choice;

    1) Sony DSC-H9
    2) Canon PowerShot S5 IS
    3) Sony T100

    I don't know if I can get any guidance for this but apart from still images, I would also like to capture images from fireworks and in huge concert hall. My gf prefers my 3rd choice due to its design but I don't know what to say to convince her.

    I'm waiting for Comex to get one of these. Though dSLRs seems to be a better choice in photography but I guess I have to wait for a couple of years more before I could afford it. Right now, I guess I have to get the best out of my $900/- budget.

    Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    $900 can get a 2nd hand DSLR here with lens and some accessories le.

    Go for a D50 in the B/S Section here. Beats ANY of the aboved mentioned PnS.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Welcome to CS!

    For the compacts/PnS, you'll need to refer to the various manufacturer/brand sections to read about them. dSLRS were more discussed in the general sections as they are pretty similar in construction, and hence some queries applies across the board.

    Got tons of useful info when I was searching for the Pana FZ-5 a few years back!

  8. #8
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasoh View Post
    Hi, I'm a noob in photography so much so that I would like to go for an entry level cameras such as D40 but the price really puts me down. I guess this can only come true in near future.

    Previously, I got a KM X50, which is a digicam and I would like to upgrade to a better one. I read through the newbie corner and found out that most of the threads here relates to dSLRs and none of it to digicams. I did some research and found some preferences ranked in my choice;

    1) Sony DSC-H9
    2) Canon PowerShot S5 IS
    3) Sony T100

    I don't know if I can get any guidance for this but apart from still images, I would also like to capture images from fireworks and in huge concert hall. My gf prefers my 3rd choice due to its design but I don't know what to say to convince her.

    I'm waiting for Comex to get one of these. Though dSLRs seems to be a better choice in photography but I guess I have to wait for a couple of years more before I could afford it. Right now, I guess I have to get the best out of my $900/- budget.

    Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    Welcome to CS. For a budget of $900, you can get a 2nd hand DSLR with a basic lens to start with. Try looking at the marketplace. And then you progressively move on to get a semi-pro DSLR like the Canon D30, D40, or Nikon D80 if you are really serious in photography.
    UK HMS Photojournalist

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Welcome dude.

    As usual, whenever a newbie appears everyone attempts to convince him to buy DSLR. I hope you have a strong mind to decide what you really want, there is no right and wrong really. And peer pressure on the Internet is really inexistant - exists only in your mind.

    You may want to read something I wrote, some of the prosumers you have mentioned above are mentioned inside, and you can also find out the pros and cons of getting a prosumer over a DSLR. Cheers!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    $900 can get a 2nd hand DSLR here with lens and some accessories le.

    Go for a D50 in the B/S Section here. Beats ANY of the aboved mentioned PnS.
    \
    actually D40 kit 2nd hand goes for much less than ur budget, if this is the model u want

  11. #11
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    upgrade your skills first
    a P&S can take better pictures than DSLR, it depends on the user

    eg.


  12. #12

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Alamak Ortega, got 80IS for Canon?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Welcome dude.

    As usual, whenever a newbie appears everyone attempts to convince him to buy DSLR. I hope you have a strong mind to decide what you really want, there is no right and wrong really. And peer pressure on the Internet is really inexistant - exists only in your mind.

    You may want to read something I wrote, some of the prosumers you have mentioned above are mentioned inside, and you can also find out the pros and cons of getting a prosumer over a DSLR. Cheers!

    Thanks bro.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by huggable View Post
    Welcome to CS!

    For the compacts/PnS, you'll need to refer to the various manufacturer/brand sections to read about them. dSLRS were more discussed in the general sections as they are pretty similar in construction, and hence some queries applies across the board.

    Got tons of useful info when I was searching for the Pana FZ-5 a few years back!

    Thanks bro. I'm with the jargon. What's compacts/PnS? Any simple elaboration?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Hi,

    Thanks to everyone for the prompt and useful reply. I was thinking about 2nd hand products. I don't feel good to this and moreover, I have some bad experiences with 2nd hand products. Not to mention that I'm a complete noob in this and does not know what to check when it comes to transaction.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    Do look at the forthcoming Panasonic FZ18. Should be launched at Comex end of the mth.
    Thanks bro. I took a glimpse at cnet and realize that it's only selling in US around Sept. Not sure will it be here in time for Comex.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    If that is the case, Do not go for Sony PnS. (PnS = Point and Shoot Cameras). The noise is too much.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  18. #18
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasoh View Post
    Thanks bro. I'm with the jargon. What's compacts/PnS? Any simple elaboration?
    PnS/Compacts are the small pocket sized cameras (eg. your X50)

    Prosumer are bigger cameras with more controls but cannnot change lens like a DSLR (eg. Sony H9/F828)

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholasoh View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks to everyone for the prompt and useful reply. I was thinking about 2nd hand products. I don't feel good to this and moreover, I have some bad experiences with 2nd hand products. Not to mention that I'm a complete noob in this and does not know what to check when it comes to transaction.
    You can try looking for those with warranty ones. Actually the cameras in the Buy/Sell forum here are pretty good as our fellow CSers do take care of their stuff and you can always bring someone more experienced to help you to check the cam before payment. You can also request for personal warranty if the shop warranty is over but this is usually pretty short (usually about a week only).
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Welcome dude.

    As usual, whenever a newbie appears everyone attempts to convince him to buy DSLR. I hope you have a strong mind to decide what you really want, there is no right and wrong really. And peer pressure on the Internet is really inexistant - exists only in your mind.

    You may want to read something I wrote, some of the prosumers you have mentioned above are mentioned inside, and you can also find out the pros and cons of getting a prosumer over a DSLR. Cheers!
    Aiyo, look at the TS 1st post leh. He wanted an entry level dSLR, just that not enuff budget for now.

    So he DEFINATELY, EVENTUALLY will get dSLR.

    Thus, we just tell him, with that kinda budget ($900), can already get a second-hand one (with spare cash some more).

    Just that he don't like 2nd hand stuffs.

    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  20. #20

    Default Re: Is this forum only for dSLRs?

    Hi bros..

    I was looking around at the marketplace and found this.

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=302752

    I think its a good buy but how come lens doesn't come with it? A bit odd with selling a camera without lens. How to shoot in this case?

    How much does the lens cost?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •