Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Audiophile CS-ers?

Originally posted by ckiang
    Oi, better don't start. Otherwise, we will have fortnightly HIFI SEEDs liao.
    (buy cable, buy tube, buy accessory, buy speaker, CD player, CD tweaks, etc etc )
    Regards
    CK
    Better than photography SEED, isn't it?
    you can tweak hifi equipments, but can you tweak camera & lenses?

Originally posted by tsdh
    Better than photography SEED, isn't it?
    you can tweak hifi equipments, but can you tweak camera & lenses?
    Actually you can, to a certain extent. Got people remove the IR blocking filter in their DC to improve IR performance, etc.

But yeah lar, hifi is more fun to tweak.

Regards
    CK

Ckiang wrote:And yes, ultimate will be to digital out your PC to a 24/192 external DAC, to a pre/power combo, then to speakers of your choice.

Originally posted by scanner
    Err...might as welll invest in a Home Threater system, then can play AC3 Audio CDs, that what I called digital.

However, as a audiophile, I would rather use analog connection. The sound is much better than a transitor sound.
    Maybe one of these day, we can sit down to talk about HIFI other than photography.
    Heh..not to nitpick, but using analogue connections for a CD source is no different from using an external DAC, the source is still digital. And AC3 format is a lossy compressed format meant mainly for squeezing many audio channels into a movie LD. Using it for audio isn't exactly good for sonics.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    Ckiang wrote:And yes, ultimate will be to digital out your PC to a 24/192 external DAC, to a pre/power combo, then to speakers of your choice.

Heh..not to nitpick, but using analogue connections for a CD source is no different from using an external DAC, the source is still digital. And AC3 format is a lossy compressed format meant mainly for squeezing many audio channels into a movie LD. Using it for audio isn't exactly good for sonics.
    That's why we have SACD, and DVD-Audio with uncompressed PCM as well. Want analog, try LPs with tube amps.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by Zerstorer

Sorry, I think you might got the wrong impression. What I'm comparing is a audiophile system to a PC audio system. Pls. read the previous posts.

But, one thing for sure. The feeling of AC3 Audio system is very different from a "traditional" audio system (2 speaker output, be it tude amp, LP, or from a CD source). Think of the sound stage...imagine if you're right infront of a live performance........got it?

But, one thing for sure. The feeling of AC3 Audio system is very different from a "traditional" audio system (2 speaker output, be it tude amp, LP, or from a CD source). Think of the sound stage...imagine if you're right infront of a live performance........got it?
    Agree about the ambience that can be generated by a multichannel setup but I still don't think AC3 encoding is that hot..

Sorry, I think you might got the wrong impression. What I'm comparing is a audiophile system to a PC audio system. Pls. read the previous posts.

AC3 can't quite cut it to get that live feeling. You need multichanel uncompressed PCM audio.

Regards
    CK

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234