Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Audiophile CS-ers?

Originally posted by alloy
    Actually it really boils down to the mentality of individual hobbyist. If he/she is the type thats easily contented, then like u said, pocket jus a little hole can liao. But those who are very into it and wants the best and reaches for the optimum, then sad to say, its really a bottomless pit. Theres jus too many components to change, mix and match, and upgrade.
    Its exactly the same with photography. Some are contented with a rather basic camera setup that will serve their needs, whereas some will nitpick about everything and upgrade all the while for the latest and greatest. But like i always say, its their money, if they are happy, why not ? If i got all those spare cash i would too spend it on things that i really fancy.
    Well said guys! I've vowed to stop upgrading unless something is spoilt. The equipment craze is exactly like in photography except everything's a lot more expensive!!!

After all, the question is whether you are a 'music lover' or an 'equipment collector'. IMHO, no point having super fancy equipment just to play your one and only chesky "test cd".

Deregistered

Audio engineering in studios & live sound considered anot?

I use recording studio equipments for listening.
    Love Telarc & Sheffield Labs recordings.

Favourite mastering engineer, Doug Sax

I consider myself an audiophile, but no equipment freak. I listen to music, not equipment. Pretty basic mid-range hifi which cost a mere $3k in total.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    I consider myself an audiophile, but no equipment freak. I listen to music, not equipment. Pretty basic mid-range hifi which cost a mere $3k in total.

Regards
    CK
    Yes, you can consider yourself an audiophile. You can't listen to equipment, but good equipment gives you best quality sound. If it doen't exist, people don't spend huge of money for sound engineering studies. Believed me, not only the equipment produced sound, even the power cable can make the differences.

Its about individual taste. Just like the BMW and Honda, both cars are good but why some people choose BMW?

Just my 2 cents. No harm.

Cheers.

Originally posted by suhaimig
    Yes, you can consider yourself an audiophile. You can't listen to equipment, but good equipment gives you best quality sound. If it doen't exist, people don't spend huge of money for sound engineering studies. Believed me, not only the equipment produced sound, even the power cable can make the differences.

Its about individual taste. Just like the BMW and Honda, both cars are good but why some people choose BMW?

Cheers.
    Totally agreed with you. Not only the equipments but also the set up of the listening room makes lot of difference too.....sometime back I tested a pair of ELAC speakers, the reproduction of the notes is so accurate and the control of the bass is superb, then I went back home to listen to my JMLab it just didn't sound quite right ........

[B]Yes, you can consider yourself an audiophile. You can't listen to equipment, but good equipment gives you best quality sound. If it doen't exist, people don't spend huge of money for sound engineering studies. Believed me, not only the equipment produced sound, even the power cable can make the differences.

I/B]
    Yup, i agree with you. It's unlike photography where the "It's the photographer, not the camera" theory holds.

Originally posted by NitroTech
    Yup, i agree with you. It's unlike photography where the "It's the photographer, not the camera" theory holds.
    No you will have:

"It's not the recording, its the equipment"

"It's the recording, not the equipment"

"It's the performance that sucks, the equipment is fine"

"The performance is good, the recording engineers, suck the playback equipment suck.."

"The performance is good, but the equipment can't boogie coz it ain't a Naim."

and...many more... much greater variety actually.

Originally posted by SMM
    Totally agreed with you. Not only the equipments but also the set up of the listening room makes lot of difference too.....sometime back I tested a pair of ELAC speakers, the reproduction of the notes is so accurate and the control of the bass is superb, then I went back home to listen to my JMLab it just didn't sound quite right ........
    You are 100% correct. My experience is firstly selection of speakers. Some speakers require very much space and some don't. Don't tide with the discount thing. Secondly, in smaller room, the sound bounce through the wall and floor created alot of unpleasent sound. Use carpet or anti sound bounce panel to eliminate this. Thirdly every items attached the system count.

Cheers.

You are 100% correct. My experience is firstly selection of speakers. Some speakers require very much space and some don't. Don't tide with the discount thing. Secondly, in smaller room, the sound bounce through the wall and floor created alot of unpleasent sound. Use carpet or anti sound bounce panel to eliminate this. Thirdly every items attached the system count.

Cheers.

That's why I haven't found the perfect system yet....

Good equipment is not necessarily cost sky high, and good equipment may not always come from a highly prestigious brand with the latest hi-tech design.
    Don't be surprised if an old CJ PV-1 or Marantz-7 which were produced more than 20 years ago still sound good even for today's hi-end standard.
    Some people listen to the sound, to the music, blindfolded to the equipment. But some people listen with their eyes looking on the brand of the equipment, that's the problem.

Originally posted by SMM
    That's why I haven't found the perfect system yet....
    Yup! You can spend hundreds to thousands of dollars just to match the right combination. There are 1001 combinations (configuration).

I think the most cheapest way to re-configure is to change the interconnect or speaker cables. (bright become warm or the other way).

HIFI + photography = burn big hole in the pocket.

Originally posted by tsdh
    Good equipment is not necessarily cost sky high, and good equipment may not always come from a highly prestigious brand with the latest hi-tech design.
    Don't be surprised if an old CJ PV-1 or Marantz-7 which were produced more than 20 years ago still sound good even for today's hi-end standard.
    Some people listen to the sound, to the music, blindfolded to the equipment. But some people listen with their eyes looking on the brand of the equipment, that's the problem.
    There is also a great divergence on what consitutes good sound.

There are some who want tonal accuracy, timber, dynamics, warts and all performance.(Traditional Audiophile)

There are some who want the music to glow, to be rich and beautiful.(Euphonic-Camp)

There are also some who are more concerned with the soul, energy and rhythm of the music.(Flat-earther)

Originally posted by scanner
    Yup! You can spend hundreds to thousands of dollars just to match the right combination. There are 1001 combinations (configuration).

I think the most cheapest way to re-configure is to change the interconnect or speaker cables. (bright become warm or the other way).

HIFI + photography = burn big hole in the pocket.
    I have another suggestion......change the room.....

Originally posted by Zerstorer

There are some who want tonal accuracy, timber, dynamics, warts and all performance.(Traditional Audiophile)

There are some who want the music to glow, to be rich and beautiful.(Euphonic-Camp)

There are also some who are more concerned with the soul, energy and rhythm of the music.(Flat-earther)
    And there are some who prefer the boom box......

me using a setup with cost not even enuff to get a decent DSLR with lens and flash (D30?)...Monitor Audio spk (600), Rotel Amp (449), Marantz 63Mk2 (160 - 2nd hand)...cheap cheap..

Cheers.

Your equipment is only as good as your room. So no point having the super high end amps, speakers, garden hose cables, etc when your room is sucky.

And I've heard my fair share of:
    1. Super high end equipment which sucks
    2. Cheap, low end equipment which sound great.

Regards
    CK

Hey everyone...
    I am more towards HT than hifi.... But I'm not those hardcore to get Martin Logans or Krells.

Just to ask, anyone knows where can I get my hands on the Denon MD-31?
    I want to put this in my own room... heh!!

Originally posted by ckiang
    Your equipment is only as good as your room. So no point having the super high end amps, speakers, garden hose cables, etc when your room is sucky.

And I've heard my fair share of:
    1. Super high end equipment which sucks
    2. Cheap, low end equipment which sound great.

Regards
    CK
    Don't blame others if you at fault

Don't make any justification, just to cover up your problems

Everyone has

Be honest with yourself

You would be happier with what you own

Cheers.

Don't blame others if you at fault

Don't make any justification, just to cover up your problems

Everyone has

Be honest with yourself

You would be happier with what you own

Cheers.
    Get a reasonably good system you can afford, then like they say "Enjoy the music"

Warning: DO NOT attend hifi shows.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    Yes, you're right. A good sound is much depend on the taste of individuals, just like an art.
    A hifi system is considered perfect if it can reproduce the sound undistinguishable from its original. But who can distinguish it? many of us are actually never listen to the original sound directly, so it is hard (or impossible) to identify the difference.
    Adding to complexity; half of the story was hold by the recording process, the mastering and mixing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast