Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wanna go film,need pointers!Thank you!

Default Re: Wanna go film,need pointers!Thank you!

Yes, but those second-hand shops don't sell second hand cameras that cheaper either. It is usually a better deal to get in BS. Within your budget, you can get a good 2nd hand, 2nd from top or 3rd from top models, but if you get first hand camera, you may just get an amatuer range camera.

For canon, I'd rather you pay for a second hand EOS 30 than a first hand EOS 300.

Quote Originally Posted by cantaresg View Post
    Yes, but those second-hand shops don't sell second hand cameras that cheaper either. It is usually a better deal to get in BS. Within your budget, you can get a good 2nd hand, 2nd from top or 3rd from top models, but if you get first hand camera, you may just get an amatuer range camera.

For canon, I'd rather you pay for a second hand EOS 30 than a first hand EOS 300.
    agree..

canon eos 30?that is quite a middle range model,i mean between the prof eos1v,2 and beginner model eos 300,i suppose?can i get it from the b/s?for how much?
    My Flickr Gallary,Welcome!
    135L since APR 5, 2008

I do suggest that you save up for a cheap dSLR instead. As for the film camera for you to try for the time being, I have already gave you the solution in the PM. ;-)
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Can get EOS 30 at about 300 dollars and EOS 300 for 100 dollars. Both are body only. Try your luck posting at b/s and see if you have any replies.
    Alternatively, there are also a few Nikon SLR on sales in b/s. You may wish to consider that?

can also consider eos 33...same as eos 30 but without eye control. should be about $250.

Film cameras user dun have to worry about dust on sensor. Major headache. Also, have many choices of wide lenses that can be used without those cropping factor.

A Nikon F/N80 looks good as well.

I still have my EOS 30 and planning to keep it cos it's really a very gd mid-range SLR.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

how abt rental? is it a viable consideration to tide over your assignment?

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    how abt rental? is it a viable consideration to tide over your assignment?
    If one needs to try before making a final decision to buy, then rental is viable.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    If one needs to try before making a final decision to buy, then rental is viable.
    hmm.. anyone renting out film cams? would also like to know..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    hmm.. anyone renting out film cams? would also like to know..
    U can try in the consumers corner.

actually with current 2nd hand prices of film slr, i dont think you will lose much if you sell it off subsequently. in fact...might be cheaper than renting if its over a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by madmacs; 18th August 2007 at 12:37 AM.

Guys,thank you for all your inputs.
    Finally,I bought one,I planned to get a EOS 30, but just could not find any, so I bought a EOS5QD, it exceeded my budget and I am indebt now, but I guess it is worthwhile, the new toy just feels fantastic! The eye control function is marvellous. I haven't started shooting yet as I am still reading the instruction set now and can't wait to try it out.
    My Flickr Gallary,Welcome!
    135L since APR 5, 2008

EOS 5 is a very good cam i'm sure you will have lots of fun using it

Oh... I have one of that toy as well... First time I used it, I fell in love with it to... Simply amazing. Hope you enjoy the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by freebsdntu View Post
    Finally,I bought one,I planned to get a EOS 30, but just could not find any, so I bought a EOS5QD, it exceeded my budget and I am indebt now, but I guess it is worthwhile, the new toy just feels fantastic! The eye control function is marvellous. I haven't started shooting yet as I am still reading the instruction set now and can't wait to try it out.
    The EOS 5 is an excellent body and should serve you well for many many years (too bad mine kinda died after ALOT of use - was formerly used by a photojournalist).

Get used to the controls so you can concentrate on shooting rather than fumbling around with the settings. Remember to turn off the date function when shooting, lest you want those date stamps cluttering the corner of your shots.

Wink Re: Wanna go film,need pointers!Thank you!

Heya, hope you have fun with the new camera and shoot more!

I think there's no need for me to lend you my camera le.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Hi all, I am planning to get a film SLR for the following reasons:
    1) No matter how I save, just cannot afford a DSLR within a short period of time.
    2) I am taking a photography course and film cameras are discussed and I need to take photos for assignments.
    3) I also joined a photography club in NTU, and the guy in charge said I can access the darkroom.
    By the way,I am currently using a Canon S3IS,I just feel a need to upgrade to a SLR, since I cannot afford a DSLR, so I wanna get a film one first to play around. I know little about film SLR and film development, so I really need pointers here regarding which camera to get, how much is one roughly and what film to get.
    Looking forward to your suggestions,thank you!
    Hello fellow BSD admin (btw, good choice of UNIX...)

I am a very devoted digital shooter who has just gone back to film (started film, went digital, now full circle). Got more digital than I know what to do with but I decided to go back to film.

What I can tell you...you will enjoy it. Yes, be prepared to make mistakes, but be prepared to enjoy the adventure. I certainly am. I'm breaking all the rules and loving it.

I am only familiar with the Canon series, so the recommendations I give are out of familiarity NOT because I want to put down other systems. (alternatively I could recommend things like the Contax 645... be prepared to get a heart attack at the price tag...you WILL need people to carry you out..)

I'm using a Canon Elan 7NE, which is a really nice camera. Canon has the Rebel film series (300X, 300V), I suggest you give those a miss. They lack a lot of useful midrange features. Edit: I just saw you bought the EOS 5 QD. The 5 is a very nice camera.. I considered buying one myself before I went with the 7NE (also called 30V in Asia and Singapore). Congrats on the camera.

The EOS 1V is the super high end pro model: read "Very expensive". I don't feel it's worth the cost.

A basic zoom will be fine. Avoid the ultra-cheap econo consumer zooms, those are terrible. I paired a 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 with the Elan, works great and is VERY, VERY sharp (yes, I tested against my L lenses on digital.. I couldn't believe my eyes). Other small prime lenses like Canon 50/1.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.0, are affordable and reasonably good.

Tips and tricks for keeping film costs down - buy a bulk loader and refill your own cans. Cost is roughly halved compared to retail film. However, at the same time, buy a whole variety of different films and try.. part of the fun is trying. I have literally 9 different kinds in the fridge now because I am sampling a little bit of everything. (1 or 2 rolls of each lah.. not a 20 pack )

Developing yourself or in a darkroom will keep your cost down. I estimate that the consumables are costing me less than $1 per developing run of 36 frames. It could be even lower, Streetshooter posted his sticky thread where he used 5ml of HC-110 per run. At that dilution, a $30 bottle will last FOREVER (100 rolls!)

My developing process is 'hybrid digital'. I process the film myself, but instead of printing, I scan on a flatbed scanner.

Carry your S3 IS and use it as a 'digital preview'. If you are not sure about spending film on a shot, use the S3 and experiment and check the LCD to get feedback. When you're confident, shoot it on film. This can help ease the learning curve.

If you need to go EVEN cheaper, try an old Canon FD SLR. The Canon FD system is technically 'dead' since the lenses are not compatible with Canon EF digital SLRs (at all), but that also means you can get lenses and SLRs really, REALLY cheap. I bought my 28/2.8 SSC for $24.95.....SONG!! the only bad thing is that you will never be able to use these on a modern DSLR. (you can...well...be prepared to saw off the lens mount and other extreme measures like that, you get what I mean.).

Films.. there are the Great Classic films like Kodak Tri-X, Pan-X. Ilford FP4, HP5. The saying "nobody ever got fired for buying Kodak" - boh sa lah - cannot really go wrong with Kodak stuff. Tri-X is very easy to develop and very forgiving of mistakes, and is probably a film you want to start with. You will eventually find your favorites, but I can definitely recommend Tri-X to start with. I also recommend that as your experience grows, try other films. Every film has its unique character.

If you need a few more hints, see my thread:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=304248

or PM me.
    Last edited by sloth; 21st August 2007 at 10:15 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast