Thread: digital and aperture

Default digital and aperture

some interesting armchair thoughts on digital bodies and lens aperture:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID6/2397.html

My own prediction - some day the noise level in digital image sensors will be so low that cameras will have one more mode - auto ISO.

ISO, shutter speed and aperture. The photographer can pick any 2 to be manually selected, and the camera will automatically adjust the 3rd parameter to ensure correct exposure.

Currently, these 2 modes are available:

- Photograher sets ISO and aperture, and the camera selects the most appropriate shutter speed. Although this is commonly called aperture priority, it is essentially aperture and ISO priority.

- Photographer sets ISO and shutter seed, the camera selects the most appropriate aperture. Although this is commonly called shutter priority, it is again ISO and Shutter priority.

The new mode that I think will be created is then Shutter and Aperture priority, where the photographer selected the aperture and shutter speed (based on DOF and motion freezing requirements), and the camera will adjust the ISO automatically.

Makes sense?

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

roy, actually the D100 already got that function.

it's just hidden in the Custom Settings. i also didn't know about it until Jed alerted me to it. but then i dunno how useful it'll be now, given the current state of technology & the noise of high ISO settings.

Originally posted by Larry
    roy, actually the D100 already got that function.

it's just hidden in the Custom Settings. i also didn't know about it until Jed alerted me to it. but then i dunno how useful it'll be now, given the current state of technology & the noise of high ISO settings.
    Wah! Sometimes I think I must patent all my ideas.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

vince123123
    Guests

Hehehe you cannot patent it cos the D100 is already the prior art :P
    hehe