Page 1 of 19 123611 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 376

Thread: Selling photos on stock photo sites

  1. #1

    Default Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Hi all,

    Just wanted to see if anyone is selling their photos via stock photo sites?
    Any success?

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Currently living in Nankin
    Posts
    462

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by djchris View Post
    Hi all,

    Just wanted to see if anyone is selling their photos via stock photo sites?
    Any success?
    I do, I uploaded on Dreamstime and Shutterstock.

    Success, you may have, if you can work full time, you'll make money after one or two years, but your photo must be high pro quality.

    With 500 photo, I make a few US$ per day. That gives you an idea of what is needed to make huge money.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by stougard View Post
    I do, I uploaded on Dreamstime and Shutterstock.

    Success, you may have, if you can work full time, you'll make money after one or two years, but your photo must be high pro quality.

    With 500 photo, I make a few US$ per day. That gives you an idea of what is needed to make huge money.
    Agree totally, it is a long term investment, no instant returns if you are desperate. I upload to Dreamstime and istockphoto and I've got only abt 86 on dreamstime and 30+ on istock

    total so far made about $30 USD, slow but nevertheless possible

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I discussed a bit about microstock at my blog. You can take a look if interested
    http://fearstar.blogspot.com/search/label/Microstock

    (Do take note that the links to the microstock sites are my referal links, don't click them if you don't want to)

    I am not making much from microstock as I am not shooting the 'hot' pics, but some CS members here are doing very well.
    Nice link!! very informative

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I am not making much from microstock as I am not shooting the 'hot' pics, but some CS members here are doing very well.
    Phildate is probably the most successful one here:

    http://www.istockphoto.com/user_view.php?id=410000

    Another successful one is Nikontiger who unfortunately is not here anymore. He was once enjoyed the distinction of being a featured photographer in istockphoto.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,406

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Just a few questions for those who have successfully sold pics.

    How do they transfer the money over after selling the pictures?

    Do you need to sell up to a certain sum b4 the money is being transferred over?

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Just a few questions for those who have successfully sold pics.

    How do they transfer the money over after selling the pictures?

    Do you need to sell up to a certain sum b4 the money is being transferred over?
    Once you hit a certain amount (eg. US$100), they will pay you either thru Paypal or cheque. Paypal is more convenient and you won't have to pay too much for the fee.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,406

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by ndroo View Post
    Once you hit a certain amount (eg. US$100), they will pay you either thru Paypal or cheque. Paypal is more convenient and you won't have to pay too much for the fee.
    So for example, u only sold off 5 photos but didn't hit the US$100, they won't pay you?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    thinking of setting up a local site to sell photo? Selling in prints. What do you guys suggest?

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Currently living in Nankin
    Posts
    462

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    So for example, u only sold off 5 photos but didn't hit the US$100, they won't pay you?
    You really want the 1$ on a cheque and pay 50S$ fee to put it on your bank account ?

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
    Posts
    8,242

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by stougard View Post
    You really want the 1$ on a cheque and pay 50S$ fee to put it on your bank account ?

  12. #12
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,931

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by vinlee View Post
    thinking of setting up a local site to sell photo? Selling in prints. What do you guys suggest?
    Hmm with the number if stock photo sites around,the problem is that this idea might not take off.There muz be something to attract ppl to the site.Setting up a local site is a nice idea but muz have ways to attract ppl to come to your site instead of visiting the already established sites

  13. #13
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    So for example, u only sold off 5 photos but didn't hit the US$100, they won't pay you?
    There are people who wait for a long long time to hit USD$100.

    Nothing comes easy. You've got to work on it.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,406

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    There are people who wait for a long long time to hit USD$100.

    Nothing comes easy. You've got to work on it.
    Got it... thanks.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Got it... thanks.
    Go the sites and study what are the types of photos that sell.

    Don't just shoot what you like to shoot. Shoot what the market needs if you want to make some money.

    Keep composition neat, simple and unclattered.

    Making some money out of photography is not a rocket science but more than a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Sion; 15th August 2007 at 01:03 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    How successful you are will largely depends on how proactive you are. If you're thinking of uploading your favourite images hoping they will sell, then you probably will not earn much. You have to understand what the buyers need and provide whats needed accordingly. Which is why it would be a good idea to study the trends e.g. festive seasons, sports, etc. Before you upload your images, make it a point to consider what they can be used for. Shuttlestock is prety strict for newcomers. If your images are rejected initially(3 times I think), then you won't be able to upload anymore for a long period of time.

  17. #17
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,406

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Go the sites and study what are the types of photos that sell.

    Don't just shoot what you like to shoot. Shoot what the market needs if you want to make some money.

    Keep composition neat, simple and unclattered.

    Making some money out of photography is not a rocket science but more than a piece of cake.
    Will do that.. its just of some things that i would like to check first. cheers!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinlee
    thinking of setting up a local site to sell photo? Selling in prints. What do you guys suggest?

    Hmm with the number if stock photo sites around,the problem is that this idea might not take off.There muz be something to attract ppl to the site.Setting up a local site is a nice idea but muz have ways to attract ppl to come to your site instead of visiting the already established sites
    __________________
    Lets Flickr!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marky
    So for example, u only sold off 5 photos but didn't hit the US$100, they won't pay you?

    You really want the 1$ on a cheque and pay 50S$ fee to put it on your bank account ?
    __________________
    Modern traditions



    At least, photographer dun have to pay a fee to put cheque into his bank account.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    It can be done, but study the trend. You can survey all the stock sites and see what area you need to specialize and go take good and CREATIVE photos.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Selling photos on stock photo sites

    but why not join istockphoto or dreamstime where its free and u still earn? mine is my signature below and its earning, slowly it might be, but surely. i do post on istock too, with 51 uplaods as compared to dreamstime 189 uploads, my istock made more sales. One picture sold repeatedly which explainswhy.

    so i got hope and say HUAT AH!

Page 1 of 19 123611 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •