Thread: Campaign against bottled water

Exclamation Campaign against bottled water

http://www.earthaction.org/en/water.html

Time to think a bit before drinking from that bottle of mineral water...

In contrast to tap water, which is distributed through an energy-efficient infrastructure, transporting bottled water long distances involves burning massive quantities of fossil fuels. Nearly a quarter of all bottled water crosses national borders to reach consumers, transported by boat, train, and truck. In 2004, for example, Nord Water of Finland bottled and shipped 1.4 million bottles of Finnish tap water 4,300 kilometers (2,700 miles) from its bottling plant in Helsinki to Saudi Arabia.
    Fossil fuels are also used in the packaging of water. The most commonly used plastic for making water bottles is polyethylene terephthalate (PET), which is derived from crude oil. Making bottles to meet Americans’ demand for bottled water requires more than 1.5 million barrels of oil annually, enough to fuel some 100,000 U.S. cars for a year. Worldwide, some 2.7 million tons of plastic are used to bottle water each year.

After the water has been consumed, the plastic bottle must be disposed of. According to the Container Recycling Institute, 86 percent of plastic water bottles used in the United States become garbage or litter. Incinerating used bottles produces toxic byproducts such as chlorine gas and ash containing heavy metals. Buried water bottles can take up to 1,000 years to biodegrade. Almost 40 percent of the PET bottles that were deposited for recycling in the United States in 2004 were actually exported, sometimes to as far away as China—adding to the resources used by this product.
    Studies show that consumers associate bottled water with healthy living. But bottled water is not guaranteed to be any healthier than tap water. In fact, roughly 40 percent of bottled water begins as tap water; often the only difference is added minerals that have no marked health benefit. The French Senate even advises people who drink bottled mineral water to change brands frequently because the added minerals are helpful in small amounts but may be dangerous in higher doses.

Default Re: Campaign against bottled water

then hotels should not bottle their shampoo, alot more plastic is wasted containing so little content.

since sg's infrastructure is said to be the best in the world, i think we can start by something in this fashion...

vending mineral/drinking water machine, u put your own cup or bottle into the machine, then press the amount of water to fill, swipe your ezlink card, then it will fill it up. every vending machine will have choice of Newater (5 nozzles) Evian (1 Nozzle) Ice Mountain (2 Nozzles) Polar (3 Nozzles) Perrier (1 super exclusive gold tap nozzle)

i think it will kill coca cola & pepsi in no time...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Sadly environmentalism isn't convenient. Just look at plastic bags at the supermarket...

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    since sg's infrastructure is said to be the best in the world, i think we can start by something in this fashion...

vending mineral/drinking water machine, u put your own cup or bottle into the machine, then press the amount of water to fill, swipe your ezlink card, then it will fill it up. every vending machine will have choice of Newater (5 nozzles) Evian (1 Nozzle) Ice Mountain (2 Nozzles) Polar (3 Nozzles) Perrier (1 super exclusive gold tap nozzle)

i think it will kill coca cola & pepsi in no time...
    Hahaha then open up all coming from one tap right, teehee!

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    then hotels should not bottle their shampoo, alot more plastic is wasted containing so little content.
    A lot of them reuse, I think..

Unless the happy travellers kope the bottles and zhao!

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    No good. Cup and bottle are still made of plastic.

I suggest we build water tanks to collect rain water all over the island. You drink from it and it's free. Because it's the heaven water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post

I suggest we build water tanks to collect rain water all over the island. You drink from it and it's free. Because it's the heaven water.
    u never read properly... i say bring your own cup or bottles liao mah... purchase cups from vending machine, additional 1buck...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    A lot of them reuse, I think..

Unless the happy travellers kope the bottles and zhao!
    I went to some people homes and saw the shampoo bottles in their toilets had names like Hilton Hotel, Le Meridien Hotel, Meritus Hotel, Marriott Hotel, Orchard Hotel, Royal Plaza Hotel etc.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Hahaha then open up all coming from one tap right, teehee!
    u wan, i think if my proposal goes thru, i can let you have special membership, 1 year unlimited at 20k per person. then you can mix different drinking water for the ultimate taste...

(someone should employ me to give this proposal man...)

I went to some people homes and saw the shampoo bottles in their toilets had names like Hilton Hotel, Le Meridien Hotel, Meritus Hotel, Marriott Hotel, Orchard Hotel, Royal Plaza Hotel etc.
    maybe they collecting mah...

imagine 1 with Hotel 81, Fragrance Hotel... every outlet...

Aiya, charge money for water coolers la.

Swipe credit card/ tap EZ link card for 30 seconds of Evian, teehee.

when i thinkof vending machines i think of d variety of products it caters.

if we can do d same for liquid dispensers...

as long as it cuts cost, i m up for it! cos every bottle tt is produced d same material can b put to betta use.

Here in the U.S.A., the waste is really bad and you'll find plastic bottles alongside many roads and sidewalks. We use plastic containers for almost everything now from soft drinks and water to liquid laundry detergent. Recycling programmes differ from area to area but, being that the country is over 4500 km wide, it's even more important that we be conservative with resources.

I keep a filtered water pitcher in the refrigerator and I have a filter on the ice maker/water dispenser of the refrigerator, mostly for cooking purposes. Do people in Singapore use such things in place of bottled water or are household water filters available?

I always drink tap water straight in HK, Singapore, Holland, I think the US is also safe? Unless you don't like the taste, there is no need to filter.......

There is no need to filter water when you use it for cooking lah! You are going to boil it anyway at least for a couple of mins ;-)

HS

By the way, some industries thrive on instilling fear onto the people, as if it is safer to drink from bottled water in countries where it is perfectly allright to drink straight from the tap. Distilled water does take minerals away from your body, this is the reason some companies add salt (3-5% Sodium Chloride) to their distilled water......

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    I always drink tap water straight in HK, Singapore, Holland, I think the US is also safe? Unless you don't like the taste, there is no need to filter.......

There is no need to filter water when you use it for cooking lah! You are going to boil it anyway at least for a couple of mins ;-)

HS
    The taste is quite a bit better with the filter, though I still don't like drinking it without coffee or tea in it. Noodles and rice taste better cooking with filtered water.

U.S. city water is almost always safe, barring some accidental water main break but they do put a lot of chemicals in the water to make it safe and sometimes, they will slip and put too much chlorine, for instance. However, many people use water from their own well and there is often an abundance of rust and/or sulfur so filtering is almost always a good idea.

Smile Re: Campaign against bottled water

well, firstly, i do recycle my plastic bottles. eventually, i do dispose of them. read something about the recycleable plastic, with the triangular sign with '7' in it. what does it signify?

Even paper packed drinks, your da bao wrappers, carriers...