Thread: How do i sell my pics?

Exclamation How do i sell my pics?

Since i'm in photography,i was thinking how could i do the above mentioned? For example when there's some public event going on and i'm there shooting pics.Is there any way that i can sell the pics to maybe a newpaper company or somewhere,just for small cash.

Default Re: How do i sell my pics?

i would love to know as well.

unless you are exclusively paid to cover the event, what makes you think anyone would want to buy your shots when there are tons of other wannabes who are there shooting with you and so willing to give them for free any any slight chance of recognition?

Quote Originally Posted by XC Pictorial View Post
    unless you are exclusively paid to cover the event, what makes you think anyone would want to buy your shots when there are tons of other wannabes who are there shooting with you and so willing to give them for free any any slight chance of recognition?
    So whats your point? Answering a question with a question...

Quote Originally Posted by Duinchlfc View Post
    So whats your point? Answering a question with a question...
    he meant that if it was an event, there are bound to be many other people taking photograph of the event itself. Furthermore, they are willing to give the photos for free instead of selling them. Other than that I think most important events there will be official photographer who will already by doing the coverage.

Sell your photos as as stock photos. PM me if you want to know more

If the photos are something news breaking and very special that the media companies miss out, you can contact them and tell them what you have.

Otherwise this approach of speculative sales is very difficult to make a buck as the media companies will have their own photographers stationed at the best vantage points in an event.

Essays with photos are probably easier to sell if you can develop feature stories. You may want to talk to the editors before incurring the time, energy and expenses to shoot and write a feature to see whether they will be interested in such a project.

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    he meant that if it was an event, there are bound to be many other people taking photograph of the event itself. Furthermore, they are willing to give the photos for free instead of selling them. Other than that I think most important events there will be official photographer who will already by doing the coverage.

Sell your photos as as stock photos. PM me if you want to know more
    Thanks for the tip

I think usually the problem is getting people who want to buy your photos rather than how to actually sell them. With tonnes of far better photographers out there there isn't a market for your shots 99% of the time(the 1% being when you actually get lucky and stumble onto an event where you're the only photographer available). The only exception to this would be if you're at the top of your game, which of course very few are since the spot at the tip of the pyramid is quite minuscule. If you're in this position, you'd know because people would be offering to buy your images or hire you without you having to ask.

To be frank, a good majority of photographers(including myself), aren't nearly good enough to make a living without active solicitation of work. And even with active solicitation, 90% will not find people that want their level of work in the first place. If you're thinking that photography is a way to make a quick buck, it's quite a misconception because it's far harder to make a living from photography than it looks.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Blog Entries

unless you have captured something that no one else have and is very newsworthy you can try to contact the publications for an exclusive rights sale

yes! I want to be paparazzi!

Why don't you try stock photography? Sell you photographs to sites like Getty Images, istockphoto etc..

With Stomp.... you can forget about selling your "i happen to be there events photographs" to any printed media in singapore

Stock photography is not easy either. Perfecting the art of the generic photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Stock photography is not easy either. Perfecting the art of the generic photograph.
    Yup, you said it! And conforming to stricter and stricter reviews doesnt help much either!