Thread: vivid color

Default vivid color

My photographs does not have the vivid color as the pictures posted here. Please share some tips on your camera settings, I use Nikon D70.

Default Re: vivid color

Sometimes, there's only so much a camera can do with regards to colour. Much of it depends on the amount and quality of lighting falling on your subject. You might want to show a few photos of yours just to give others an idea on how to help you.

Hi Sister Act,

Please could you give some more background of your workflow.

e.g You take your camera out and shoot in auto mode or do you use a program mode. What exposure are you using etc - also what metering mode.

If you are not yet sure of the above questions maybe you could advise if you are shooting in Jpeg or RAW. Shooting in RAW will give you alot more potential to draw out contrast and details.

The after shooting what program are you using to extract and edit images. There are so many options out there and this is also an important part of getting the best out of your work.

Please feel free to post an image or give us a link to a pic that you feel is of particular interest to your question and then I am sure you get alot of kind assistance here to help you find an answer to your question.

Cheers,

d

Thanks Kit & d! Points taken! It's just that seeing the images posted here, especially in the wedding section make my images pale (literally & figuratively) in comparison. The pictures here are vivid, saturated & has high contrast, just how I want my images too look. I just don't know their workflow to achieve that look.

I still don't know how to post images here yet. I shoot in A & M modes, use portrait for enhancement & shoot in jpeg. Post production, I use curves & color balance and selective color. Anything you can add to my workflow to get my desired look? Well, apart from Kit's advice on the creative aspect of photography.

I can't afford to shoot in raw because it's too time-consuming for me.

Hi there, as much as most people will tell you any lens can be used to take photos and it will be good enough, in actuality, a good lens will go a very long way to providing nicely detailed photos. Most of the wedding photos aren't done using kit lenses, etc, but by the more expensive lenses. This is especially true with colour saturation. Using colour curves can only goes so far before the details get obscured.

besides good lighting like has been mentioned,
    the sensor plays a part in the colour. Like fuji dslrs have very good colour out of camera right away.
    Nikon is not as contrasty(as Canon) and usually not that saturated, so you usually can try adjusting saturation in custom options(or choose vivid ).

But ultimately if you really want very good colour u should shoot in raw and take time to adjust them in PS.

Quote Originally Posted by sister act View Post
    Thanks Kit & d! Points taken! It's just that seeing the images posted here, especially in the wedding section make my images pale (literally & figuratively) in comparison. The pictures here are vivid, saturated & has high contrast, just how I want my images too look. I just don't know their workflow to achieve that look.

I still don't know how to post images here yet. I shoot in A & M modes, use portrait for enhancement & shoot in jpeg. Post production, I use curves & color balance and selective color. Anything you can add to my workflow to get my desired look? Well, apart from Kit's advice on the creative aspect of photography.

I can't afford to shoot in raw because it's too time-consuming for me.
    Are you shooting in Auto White Balance? Many a time, only the correct WB will produce the best colours.

The cameras do play a part too. Some DSLRs just do not do a great job with AWB. Fuji's S5pro is an example of a camera that does a fantastic job on AWB.

hmm, like above with all the white balance and curve, lately my liking is to use selective colouring to enhance colours. Along with masking to make the colours i like stand out. I'm into vivid colours too..quite hard to not like it isn't it?

Ok Sister Act - here goes. Color 101

I really think you should try to move over to RAW but for the purpose of this mini tip guide you can try it on Jpeg.

The first thing you want to do with any image is make the blacks black and the whites white.
    To do this properly you need to see your color values on a digital meter etc.

At a minimum take the white balance tool and click on a white t-shirt or anything white in the picture. Be careful not to click on a part of the image that is overexposed. e.g on a bridal dress you may actually get the best result by clicking onto a part of the dress that you are sure is not glaring because of reflection. I sometime go into a neutral area which is not the most white just in case I hit an over exposed area.

Once you have done this you can then play with you contrast a little just to make the blacks pop a bit.

Then go to your saturation slider and add a little to taste

Finally go back and play with the colour temp to add some warmth or cool the shot depending on the final look you are after.

Don't be afraid to play with sliders etc - pull them hard either way so you can actually see what it is doing.

A good rule of thumb is to use broad strokes first and then fine tune at the end.

Going back to your workflow:-

- What ISO settings are you using indoor/out?
    - What metering settings are you using / familiar with?
    - What software do you have?

This is perhaps one of the most rewarding parts of photography and once you learn the basics you are well on your way to finding what suits your style.

David

Thanks a lot for your replies! Some of the replies were not the ones I'm expecting but it turned out to be the ones that answered my questions.

To Shojibake, I agree with you a hundred percent! I used to shoot in film with fast prime lenses in various focal lengths and I love the result of my pictures. I was disappointed the first time I saw my raw images taken with my kit lens. It's just that I can no longer use some of my film lenses with my digital camera.

To ZeroDivine & enghong17, you gave me an idea to try other camera brands!

And yes, thanks David for the comprehensive color 101! The first time I tried the levels tool in photoshop, the results were so contrasty I abandoned using it. Now I know I didn't do it right.

I really find adjusting the WB on camera the toughest of all! I have tried using all of them & liked the preset. But I can't use it as much as I want with the different and ever changing lighting situations in weddings so I use Auto, adjusting only the lower and upper part. Do you find using WB on camera tough, too? Is there an easy way with it?

Quote Originally Posted by sister act View Post
    My photographs does not have the vivid color as the pictures posted here. Please share some tips on your camera settings, I use Nikon D70.
    hi, u may edit them with paintshop or others, however i seldom need to becos Sony Alpha pics are vivid by default.