Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

Bose... overpriced + average sounding. 749 is seriously ridiculous. With 749, I can get a pair of ESI nEAR studio monitors and still get back change...

Get the behringer monitors. You can hook it up via a coaxial digital cable (vs normal analogue) and get full digital sound from your existing setup... all you need is a 3.5mm -> RCA converter plus a length of quality coaxial cable.

Best part is you'll be getting 24/96 quality straight from the speakers!
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 14th August 2007 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    ok. from so many suggestions. i will just forgo the upgrade of the onboard sound then.

and i will dump my Audigy 2 and 6.1 then..... (who wants my them ?? )

i will now look into soundsticks and creature II,

but no offence, the creature II looks kinda puny ? the speakers are so small.

i like the soundsticks.... i have the cover the subwoofer.. haha... used to be manufactuered in singapore. hahaha.. i have about 6 pieces.. maybe can customise it.

soundsticks look good.......

creative products tend to be rather lasting ? i dun know. but i know my speakers lasted me at least 6 years before having "microprocessor" problems..
    personally i wun go for the soundsticks. it's just a line array wannabe that isn't implemented properly. The sound will be very directional and at different positions/height you will be missing out on certain notes and sound.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

I'm not a fan of Creative but I've found this set to be surprisingly good for its price. Slightly bright but soundstage, depth and vocals are good. I'm able to enjoy George Solti's intepretation of Mahler Symphony No 8 with these speakers.

BTW, the link is for the 4.1 system but I've got the 2.1 (can't find 2.1 on Creative). Same speaker and bass.
    http://www.creative.com/products/pro...26&product=446
    Things I've learnt on photography
    [S5Pro][28-70 f2.8][ZF 35 f2][85 f1.4][sb800][Elinchrom D-Lite 4]

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    personally i wun go for the soundsticks. it's just a line array wannabe that isn't implemented properly. The sound will be very directional and at different positions/height you will be missing out on certain notes and sound.
    ok noted....

that day i saw the creature 2 over at the apple showroom at funan centre.

IIRC, rather small leh.. not like bose. but just small...
    not ur ideal de ah? nvm lo, diff ppl like diff thing. tot like tt tiny size.

recommend oni, not sponsor hor?

will wait for JBL to introduce Monster II!
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 14th August 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    not ur ideal de ah? nvm lo, diff ppl like diff thing. tot like tt tiny size.

recommend oni, not sponsor hor?

will wait for JBL to introduce Monster II!
    I don't mind if u sponsoring.

Monster II ? nahs...... Monster "n" would be good.

COMEX IS COMING...

i guess i hold my purchase until comex.... confirm gt bargain sales for these speakers one...

COMEX IS COMING...

i guess i hold my purchase until comex.... confirm gt bargain sales for these speakers one...
    gd idea. but i think u should still head 4 d shops to sound out ur favs. dun think u can heard any diff at Comex, would b noisy there.

i have a portable harmon/kardon that sounds terrible w headphone out from my laptop. but sounds excellent w my ipod. think bottom line is still a good sound card or DAC first. if you are sticking to 150, better to get a good sound card/DAC and a reasonably good speakers...but don expect superb sound. or maybe buy card first then get better speakers later.

Altec Lansing

I still remember my very first AL -- a 2.1 clam shelf speaker.....play doom with it and the sound effects and gun shots really freaking me out

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Altec Lansing

I still remember my very first AL -- a 2.1 clam shelf speaker.....play doom with it and the sound effects and gun shots really freaking me out
    Nowadays .. quality not that already ...and yes - the clam shell speakers are still being used by my dad's PC.

The 621/641 was the last ... then after that only the ATP3 can make it...

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    i have a portable harmon/kardon that sounds terrible w headphone out from my laptop. but sounds excellent w my ipod. think bottom line is still a good sound card or DAC first. if you are sticking to 150, better to get a good sound card/DAC and a reasonably good speakers...but don expect superb sound. or maybe buy card first then get better speakers later.
    That's why i stressed getting the behringer monitors. They do have a smaller sized one though. Those are one of the few monitors that sound decent and accept digital input.

Next on the list are the ESi nEAR speakers.

wah.. dun burn my pocket leh....

i'll see if creative have good bargains for their soundcards ornot. i'll decide to get something reasonable for a soundcard.

as for the speakers... i wil head down on 1-2 days before comex lor.

wahhhhh...

but if i kenna odexed.. den i can lppl liao..

(0.0)y

hahahaa.. me loggin in from KL.. muhahaha...

i am visiting a few speakers sites; and apparently they will tell me what kind of materials they used for their cones.

for example. creative has glass fibre cones, some has aluminum, and some have kevlar.

so what do i look out for ?

these Gigaworks T20 has glass fibre cones... <-- good ornot ?

while of course i've seen and heard those from audio shops and the speakers have kevlar cones, and they do kinda sound impressive and cost "IMPRESSIVE" also.

whats your take ?

do i still look into creative speakers or do i divert my attention else where ?

think its time to head for d shops for real life demo. to any layman even myself i would not read too much into a products fancy material or some cutting edge tech tt may not live up to its claim.

material of product (cones, cabinet, & all), brandname (namesake alone), physical size, RMS (current it draws) & other i cant remember specs may not mean d product is worth it price. specs r IMO jus specs.

i hav OEM Infinity Black Tower from May 2003 & still works! oni $35 for a 2.0 speakers.

not every1 likes Creature II but i do. trust ur ears!

haha i just bought a pair of Logitech s200s on thursday

46 dollars at fuwell

cheap and goood.

hahahaa.. me loggin in from KL.. muhahaha...

i am visiting a few speakers sites; and apparently they will tell me what kind of materials they used for their cones.

for example. creative has glass fibre cones, some has aluminum, and some have kevlar.

so what do i look out for ?

these Gigaworks T20 has glass fibre cones... <-- good ornot ?

while of course i've seen and heard those from audio shops and the speakers have kevlar cones, and they do kinda sound impressive and cost "IMPRESSIVE" also.

whats your take ?

do i still look into creative speakers or do i divert my attention else where ?
    Personally, the T20s are under powered.

You got to crank the volume past 12 o'clock to get a decent level of enjoyment from them. Sound quality - normal sounding... but would give other 2.0 setups a run for their money...

Another set of speakers you can consider is the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0

I've got speakers of all cone composite - polypropylene, aluminium DLDA drivers, paper cone ... except kevlar - B&W ... don't really fancy them, tested them at my cousin's place, only find them so so... Only find they add BLING to the look.

My advice - go listen to the few recommended ones without looking at the price tag first and then decide from there. Asking everyone to recommend when it doesn't satisfy your listening taste is another problem ...
    Last edited by dEthANGeL; 19th August 2007 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    think its time to head for d shops for real life demo. to any layman even myself i would not read too much into a products fancy material or some cutting edge tech tt may not live up to its claim.

material of product (cones, cabinet, & all), brandname (namesake alone), physical size, RMS (current it draws) & other i cant remember specs may not mean d product is worth it price. specs r IMO jus specs.

i hav OEM Infinity Black Tower from May 2003 & still works! oni $35 for a 2.0 speakers.

not every1 likes Creature II but i do. trust ur ears!
    yah.... its only 4 years old... so its still surviving, havent reach lifespan mah.. mine 5.5-6yrs old only..den die....

ha.

definately have to go listen to the systems at Funan..

Quote Originally Posted by FLiNcHY View Post
    haha i just bought a pair of Logitech s200s on thursday

46 dollars at fuwell

cheap and goood.

hahahhaha..... good buy good buy.. comex around the corner leh !

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Personally, the T20s are under powered.

You got to crank the volume past 12 o'clock to get a decent level of enjoyment from them. Sound quality - normal sounding... but would give other 2.0 setups a run for their money...
    The Gigaworks T20 is not quite flat but once you run it through a properly set EQ (I use the Behringer MINIFBQ FBQ800), it sounds much better but there is still some spikes and dips at certain frequencies which cannot be corrected with the 9 band EQ.. It would not make sense to pay for a more expensive EQ for such a pair of speakers. I like them for the size. Its hard to find another pair of small 2.0 speakers with such good lows.

IMO, the obsolete Inspire M85D is better value for money.

Hi can i recommend you this 2.1 system.
    Is the Aego M from Acoustic Energy.
    You can check out the review here
    ttp://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2006/05/17/Acoustic-Energy-Aego-M-Speakers/p1

I personally own one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast