Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

  1. #1
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    I am going to discard my 6.1 Creative speakers for a new one, i would prefer something good and lasting.

    Maybe below $100 would be nice. i've seen the few Creative 2.1 speakers. kinda good.

    i like the design of the SBS A300, M2600....

    I would like to hear from fellow csers on the other brands beside Creative who offers 2 piece speakers with subwoofers thou.


  2. #2
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    also recommend a good sound card too.. my audigy 2 cmi too..... thinking of changing to a entry level sound card.

    both my speakers and soundcard around 6-7yrs old already... back to those time when the AMD Tbird 1Ghz was a super fast CPU....

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    i own JBL's Creature II currently. still selling at South Asia Computer at Funan a little under $150. sounds gd, looks gd (its subjective lah), price reasonable.


  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    I am going to discard my 6.1 Creative speakers for a new one, i would prefer something good and lasting.

    Maybe below $100 would be nice. i've seen the few Creative 2.1 speakers. kinda good.

    i like the design of the SBS A300, M2600....

    I would like to hear from fellow csers on the other brands beside Creative who offers 2 piece speakers with subwoofers thou.

    Bose MediaMate

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Talking Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    Heard Harman Kardon SOUNDSTICKSII are good!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    both my speakers and soundcard around 6-7yrs old already... back to those time when the AMD Tbird 1Ghz was a super fast CPU....
    Does your soundcard have a handle which you have to crank up when you want to play the sound?

    And the speakers are two large trumpet-shaped horns?

  7. #7
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Does your soundcard have a handle which you have to crank up when you want to play the sound?

    And the speakers are two large trumpet-shaped horns?
    thats a gramophone leh......

  8. #8
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    i own JBL's Creature II currently. still selling at South Asia Computer at Funan a little under $150. sounds gd, looks gd (its subjective lah), price reasonable.

    wah.... slightly under $150... over my budget...

    i trying to solve my speaker and sound card problem for $150....

    i dun think the onboard soundcard is good anyway...

    what you guys think ? use onboard ?

  9. #9
    Member Retro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    East Wing, Dungeon #8
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    I too am searching for a set of 2.1 speaker systems. Found the BOSE to be quite good, but a little pricey. JBLs are probably another good pair to consider. If you're not too particular about fantastic pristine sound, then SLS has got quite a good selection to offer mate! But chances are you will be even more after that. Hahaha

  10. #10
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    yeah retro. gotta agree on that.

    i went to SLS last week... there were too many choices.

    I know Bose, Harmon Kardon are good brands. but they tend to be a little on the pricey side.

    my concern is that i am using the onboard sound which was provided by the Asus P5N-SLi board.

    i do not know what is the capablity of the sound card and how good it performs anyway.. and my Audigy 2 which is around 6yrs old is dead, and my 6.1 speakers are dead.

    so yah... i have around $150 to work with.. anything more than that will bust my funds for my "ship jumping"

  11. #11
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    so if someone can answer the question to whether my onboard sound is "capable", i wouldnt mind pumping extra moohlah into the soundsticks II...

    afterall.. i am pretty sure it will work GREAT with my ipod...

  12. #12
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    http://sg.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...74&modelmenu=1

    this is my mobo model...

    didnt write about my mobo's specifications.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    hi Glennyong,

    i not sure abt soundcard d capabilities, but i dun hav d most up-to-date de oso. its more den 2yrs old liao. but d Creature II is d best at tt price at tt time i buy, IMO. d JBL Duet (2.0) could b had for under $100 if u can find- it was my original target.

    when it comes to sound preferance do play a part in deciding which 1 is for u. i hav my sub on a DIY isolation platform to bring out finer levels of sonic detail & reduce detortion.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 11th August 2007 at 10:38 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    creature 2 ?? thanks for recommendations...

    so now we have the Soundsticks II, and creatures.

    so now it all boils now to whether sound card is critical to produce quality sounds from a good speaker...

    or a good speaker and a onboard soundcard and produce wonderful results.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    what diff can you hear from onboard sound and sound card?
    getting a 'better' sound card but skimping on a set of good speakers is equally as useless. Similiar to getting good cam bodys but buying el-cheapo lenses that cannot deliver sharp images.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  16. #16
    Senior Member scandisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    4,617

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system


  17. #17
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    what diff can you hear from onboard sound and sound card?
    getting a 'better' sound card but skimping on a set of good speakers is equally as useless. Similiar to getting good cam bodys but buying el-cheapo lenses that cannot deliver sharp images.

    so from your point of view, can i say that i should forgo the idea of getting the sound card and pay more for a good pair of speakers then ?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    For a budget speaker, I quite like the sound of the Logitech X230. As for soundcard, depending on your budget, maybe you can consider an external DAC like Fubar. If not the Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic should be good enough, or you can consider the EMU 0404.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    so from your point of view, can i say that i should forgo the idea of getting the sound card and pay more for a good pair of speakers then ?
    This would be a better alternative. If you can increase your speaker budget, then you can consider the likes of Klipsch or Aego M.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Recommend me a 2-3 piece speaker system

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    creature 2 ?? thanks for recommendations...

    so now we have the Soundsticks II, and creatures.

    so now it all boils now to whether sound card is critical to produce quality sounds from a good speaker...

    or a good speaker and a onboard soundcard and produce wonderful results.
    here's d link on Creature II
    http://europe.jbl.com/home/products/...aspx?SerId=HMM

    my original target was
    http://europe.jbl.com/home/products/...at=HMM&ser=HMM

    & my DIY isolation platform is 2 spare homogenous tiles stacked together isolated w/ round-ended nut from hardware store. oh ya, there r other colors still avail for tt Creature.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •