Thread: First attempt at HDR

Default First attempt at HDR

First attempt at HDR, after seeing how pretty they look.
    Used photoshop. Issit supposed to look like this? I tried adjusting the levels, but it still doesnt look dramatic. any suggestions?
    I think the pics are taken at -1, 0, 1.

Last edited by RoBeY; 11th August 2007 at 01:22 AM.

Default Re: First attempt at HDR

hi there, im a noob myself, but here's what i do for my hdr shots..

(1) Set the camera to aperture mode and use ~ F8, depending
    (2) Use spot metering and meter for the darkest and brightest parts of the frame
    (3) Take note of the shutter speed for both the darkest and brightest parts of the frame
    (4) Switch camera to manual mode and use the same aperture as (1)
    (5) Mount the camera on a tripod
    (6) Start with the shutter speed you got with metering for the darkest or brightest parts of the frame
    (7) Take the shot
    (8) Multiply the shutter speed by 4
    (9) Take another shot
    (10) Continue doing this until you've exceeded the value of the shutter speed of the darkest or brightest parts of the scene, depending on which you start with

To minimize vibration, use a remote, or something...

thanks for your reply.

i used my cam's autobracket function. can autobracket be used to create HDR pics?

i was reading on net about HDR. it says that this is "used to record a greater range of tonal detail than a given camera could capture in a single photo".
    how do i decide what exposure to use? and how many pics i take?

i tried editing again in photoshop to sharpen it, does it now look better? or does it look unnatural?

TIA.

Hi RoBeY,

I think you first pic is quite ok....but the adjustment needs to be fine tuned to make the pic more natural....unless you want a surreal pic.

Since you are using in-cam auto bracketing try +/-2 stops in the feature. If you can, take 5pics with +/-2 stops apart each shot. ALWAYS use Aperture mode...if you set in Shutterspeed mode, than all the shot will have different DOF due to the change in aperture.

After merging to HDR in CS, you still need to so some adjustments, like, leveling, curve, shadow/highlight, whichever applicable to make the pic more natural.

If the scene is bright enough for fast shutter speed, you can just handheld and fire your autobracket in "continuous" mode of shutter. If not a tripod is a must.

Below are 2 HDR which I took over the weekends, handheld, 3 exposures +/-2 stops apart:

for the 2nd pic, I was trying to make it more natural (like now my eyes see it), that's why I did not "brighten" the shadowed corridor under the shelter of the building too bright. But now viewing it in my office monitor, may be it should be brighter....I dun have a callibrated monitor lah.

As for how to expose the pic, you can use what dkjc explained if you are using manual compensation. If you are using autobracketing, you have to expose the midtone as the cam will auto compensate to +2 and -2 stops for the next two shots. How to get the midtone, set the aperture to the DOF you want, meter the brightest highlight and the darkest shadow and set the cam to the average shutter speed and thats it.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBeY View Post
    thanks for your reply.

i used my cam's autobracket function. can autobracket be used to create HDR pics?

i was reading on net about HDR. it says that this is "used to record a greater range of tonal detail than a given camera could capture in a single photo".

i tried editing again in photoshop to sharpen it, does it now look better? or does it look unnatural?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBeY View Post
    thanks for your reply.

TIA.

You first pix looked nicer and more natural than the 2 pix.