Thread: CRT vs. LCD

Default CRT vs. LCD

I'm looking for a new desktop monitor to replace my 5 years old 17" CRT. I am looking at purchasing either a 19" CRT or a 17" LCD.

I've weighed the pros and cons of the two and it's true that both do have major cons to them. For the 19" CRT, its definitely the bulk. And as for LCD, it's the colour reproduction and refresh rate. And also the native resolution of 1280x1024, but I am willing to live with that.

As a graphic designer, I am leaning more towards a 19" (in this case, I'm looking at the Sony G420) having used them in school and absolutely fell in love with the picture quality. It's sharp and vibrant - but very very bulky. I could really do with more desktop space, and I'm sure many of you do too.

So I'm wondering, as a graphic designer and avid photographer, is LCD still a viable option for me? The only thing i'm worried about is the colour reproduction, so I would be extremely grateful if anyone could share their experiences with colour on LCD screens, and hopefully recommend me a LCD screen that could really give the G420 a tough fight.

Thanks!

-Mark

Sell the PC, move over to the Mac platform, then get the absolutely fabulous 22" CinemaDisplay.

Regards
    CK

In terms of size, I think a 17" LCD has as much space as a 19" CRT monitor (or at least, my 17" LCD is slightly larger than my 17" CRT monitor in terms of screen real estate). Refresh rate I think is pretty okay for LCD monitor. There's no real need for high refresh rate for LCD monitor.

As for color reproduction, you might want to get a monitor that allows greater flexibility for adjustment of brightness, color and support of color management profile.
    Last edited by mpenza; 16th April 2003 at 07:54 AM.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Originally posted by ckiang
    Sell the PC, move over to the Mac platform, then get the absolutely fabulous 22" CinemaDisplay.

Regards
    CK
    I wouldn't have to get the mac since I already have a TiBook.. but that's besides the point! :P Now if only Apple Displays were compatible with PC.. then I could have the best of both worls