Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

  1. #1

    Default Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    I'm looking to buy a new printer, and my wife wants one with a scanner. The 3-in-1 models all claim to be able to print photos, but I'm sceptical about the quality. Anyone in the forum uses such printers to print photos?

    Does separate ink tanks affect the quality of the print-outs? The salesgirl said that separate ink tanks only save you money when changing cartridges, but has no difference on print quality.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by red_ryder View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new printer, and my wife wants one with a scanner. The 3-in-1 models all claim to be able to print photos, but I'm sceptical about the quality. Anyone in the forum uses such printers to print photos?

    Does separate ink tanks affect the quality of the print-outs? The salesgirl said that separate ink tanks only save you money when changing cartridges, but has no difference on print quality.
    Look for the 6-ink models by Epson. The number of inks make a difference.
    http://www.epson.com.sg/products/all...to_RX650.shtml
    http://www.epson.com.sg/products/all...to_RX590.shtml

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    I've tried some photos from my Canon MP600 vs. my i9900 A3+ printer and the MP600 isn't too bad but the inks aren't good enough to last, no matter what the paper.

    Epson sells the RX models, which have photo inks but all Epsons tend to clog, if you don't use them a few times a week. (I know...I've thrown away 2.)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Hmm...maybe it would be better for me to just get the cheapest all-in-one solution and buy a separate 4R photo printer.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by red_ryder View Post
    Hmm...maybe it would be better for me to just get the cheapest all-in-one solution and buy a separate 4R photo printer.
    If you're printing 4R, then you should just go for a 4R photo printer. It's not economical to print 4R with A4 photo printers.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    I've tried some photos from my Canon MP600 vs. my i9900 A3+ printer and the MP600 isn't too bad but the inks aren't good enough to last, no matter what the paper.

    Epson sells the RX models, which have photo inks but all Epsons tend to clog, if you don't use them a few times a week. (I know...I've thrown away 2.)
    For Canon, only the ChromaLife100 inks will last. The other inks fade/discolour very fast!
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 10th August 2007 at 04:38 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    458

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    me using Canon MP780 ( old model) to print photo, the quality ok-ok only
    http://www.dreamstime.com/Ionsoon_info
    So much Creativity So much Technology

  8. #8

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    If you're printing 4R, then you should just go for a 4R photo printer. It's not economical to print 4R with A4 photo printers.
    Why ?

  9. #9
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    If you're printing 4R, then you should just go for a 4R photo printer. It's not economical to print 4R with A4 photo printers.
    Not too sure about 4R, did you take into the fact the original ink and the original paper ?
    ( if 3rd party ink and paper will be cheaper .. ) i always thought the price of 4R out there already pretty low.

    Epson Ultrachrome K3 suppose to be one of the more favoured pigment inks now in the market, with their paper suppose to be really archival. Each A4 / S8R print can be just shy of the market price for developing outside.

    If u ask me if there is a diff with the usual AIO printers.. definitely .

  10. #10

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Why ?
    The paper is expensive, more expensive than sending to lab.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Not too sure about 4R, did you take into the fact the original ink and the original paper ?
    ( if 3rd party ink and paper will be cheaper .. ) i always thought the price of 4R out there already pretty low.

    Epson Ultrachrome K3 suppose to be one of the more favoured pigment inks now in the market, with their paper suppose to be really archival. Each A4 / S8R print can be just shy of the market price for developing outside.

    If u ask me if there is a diff with the usual AIO printers.. definitely .
    Don't ever use 3rd party ink. You'll kill the printer pretty fast! I am using Fuji photo paper, just bought Ilford to try.

  12. #12
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    I use a Canon i990 six ink printer for my A4 size printing..... and a Canon Selphy C710 portable printer for 4R printing.

    i990 = large size printing

    C710 = cheap (108pics for $30 = $0.27 a photo), long lasting colour

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  13. #13

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to just go to a store to print your pics? Price for 4R is about 40 cents/each or less now.

    Printer = $299
    Paper = $10
    Ink = $20+???
    Repair bill + time spent at the service centre = ???

    You could've print hundreds of 4R photos at a shop with the money saved from not buying your own printer.
    Last edited by p7m13; 11th August 2007 at 10:20 AM.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,644

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    For Canon, only the ChromaLife100 inks will last. The other inks fade/discolour very fast!
    It seems that way but I noticed that my i9900 uses ChromaPlus inks and I've left photos out in the heat and light and humidity and haven't had problems with fading or discolouration yet though I've only had it for 3 years.

    My MP600 is noted to have ChromaLife100 inks, but the lack of gamut really makes it less desirable.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    try those with photo printing function for 3in1 and esp if it is using individual ink. quality better.
    i used my lexmark to print n the ink just smudge like mascara kana water..
    -_-

  16. #16
    Moderator diver-hloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere North
    Posts
    5,201

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by p7m13 View Post
    Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run to just go to a store to print your pics? Price for 4R is about 40 cents/each or less now.

    Printer = $299
    Paper = $10
    Ink = $20+???
    Repair bill + time spent at the service centre = ???

    You could've print hundreds of 4R photos at a shop with the money saved from not buying your own printer.
    My real life example -
    Came back from my diving trip.... printing 200+ photos. One pack of 50 pics Canon 4R photopaper cost $12.90. 1 ink cost me $15.90 (cheapest i could find for my i990).

    50pics x 4 = 200pics ($12.90 x 4 = $51.60)

    I need to change all my ink at least once for a 'big' project like this.....

    6 ink x $15.90 = $95.40

    Total = $51.60 + $95.40 = $147 !!

    Using my Canon Selphy C710.....

    108pics photopaper + ink = $30 (MS Colour at AMK)

    Total = 108pics x 2 = 216pics ($30 x 2 = $60)

    Sooo...... which is better for purely just printing 4R photos...

    Scuba & Father... For Life

  17. #17
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Don't ever use 3rd party ink. You'll kill the printer pretty fast! I am using Fuji photo paper, just bought Ilford to try.
    I am not using any 3rd party for now. But I am trying out the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl and the Premium Pearl Paper

    My rough estimate - printed 30 pieces of A4 B&W with full cartridges almost emptied
    photo black ink cartridge and the gloss optimizer, along with approx 20% of the other inks
    Each cartridge bought at the comp fair ( ~ $20 per cartridge / will be more expensive in shops )

    $20( photo black ) + $20 ( gloss optimiser ) + 20%(6 cartridges x 20) = 64 bucks
    Each Epson Semigloss ~ $1/piece
    comes up to be about $3+ per print

    * note this is just an estimate, i have no percentage of how much black areas per print

  18. #18

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    I am not using any 3rd party for now. But I am trying out the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl and the Premium Pearl Paper

    My rough estimate - printed 30 pieces of A4 B&W with full cartridges almost emptied
    photo black ink cartridge and the gloss optimizer, along with approx 20% of the other inks
    Each cartridge bought at the comp fair ( ~ $20 per cartridge / will be more expensive in shops )

    $20( photo black ) + $20 ( gloss optimiser ) + 20%(6 cartridges x 20) = 64 bucks
    Each Epson Semigloss ~ $1/piece
    comes up to be about $3+ per print

    * note this is just an estimate, i have no percentage of how much black areas per print
    You all forgot about profiling the papers.... That cost $$$ also..

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    BUKIT PANJANG
    Posts
    1,997

    Default Re: Anyone uses 3-in-1 printers to print photos?

    i use a canon selphy to print pics
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •