View Poll Results: Which first d SLR should I get???

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Low entry like D40 / 400D, later then upgrade to better one.

    44 42.31%
  • Jump straight to mid range like D200, 30D, save upgrading money

    60 57.69%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 100

Thread: First dSLR - what to get???

  1. #61

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ...

    "If there really were only one decisive moment, one would only ever take a single photograph of any subject."

    Roger Hicks

    Not true, it depends on what subject, and how good you are with using your equipment. Obviously P&S will be more limited, but that does not make them trash
    perhaps I have not finished exploring the full use of a consumer/prosumer camera. I guess when the time comes for a dslr is the time when you have really make every good use of a consumer camera and it starts limiting your potential of going further in photography.

  2. #62

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by IONSOON View Post
    my advice, save up more abit and get the D80, no regrets.
    I use a D80 too. The only thing is that it comes with the kit lense. Good for starters, but after a while, u want to upgrade (like I did), waste of money

    Clem

  3. #63
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by littlejt View Post
    get the d3x lol
    Quote Originally Posted by tato View Post
    D3
    1Ds Mark III if vitamin Ms excess..

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yew Tee, Singapore
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    My suggestion:
    It depends whether you have the time (period) to slowly learn photograpy.
    If you are young and abundant of time, start slow. Learn everything as much as possible at the "lowest cost"

    The Buy and Sell section (B&S) is a good start. Buy things from there and you won't loose too much $$$ in your hobby. But beware of pitfalls:

    - learn how to sniff out the good deas,from the bad ones.
    Learnt the hard way yourself, just like me,
    or get some experienced guy to be with you during deals.
    - learnt to distingusih those genuine hobbyist from those who prey on innocent buyers
    make some mistakes and learnt to be smarter in dealings
    - you spend a lot of time in searching B&S but save a bundle too.
    - being a hobbyis site. The B&S carry lesser risk, but doesn't mean no risk though.
    - Next time, you know how to sell your stuff at lesser loss.

    If you don't have time, don't like the idea of bargaining or afraid being cheated,
    then buying new and high-end will be your choice. It is a one time deal and after that
    less frequent need for shopping upgrades.

  5. #65

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by cavemonkey View Post
    perhaps I have not finished exploring the full use of a consumer/prosumer camera. I guess when the time comes for a dslr is the time when you have really make every good use of a consumer camera and it starts limiting your potential of going further in photography.
    Actually there is no such thing as surpassing your equipment.

    To use it well, you need to understand your gear, and when you understand your gear, you'll know what it can and cannot do. Once you know that, then you won't go forcing it to do something it cannot.

    That said, in recent years the major manufacturers have been producing crap and more crap where PnSes are concerned.

  6. #66

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Actually there is no such thing as surpassing your equipment.

    To use it well, you need to understand your gear, and when you understand your gear, you'll know what it can and cannot do. Once you know that, then you won't go forcing it to do something it cannot.

    That said, in recent years the major manufacturers have been producing crap and more crap where PnSes are concerned.
    Agreed.

    But of course using a prosumer would usually dictate that you are more limited and constrained than compared to using a DSLR, with the precursor that you are adept at using both.

    Agreed on last point, yesterday someone sent me a PM regarding prosumers and I went to read the reviews of the newer models from each manufacturer, like Panny, Sony, Canon, etc.. Nothing much has improved other than on paper. Some even deprove. I prefer my H2 based on what I see from the H7/9 reviews, ha.

  7. #67

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Agreed on last point, yesterday someone sent me a PM regarding prosumers and I went to read the reviews of the newer models from each manufacturer, like Panny, Sony, Canon, etc.. Nothing much has improved other than on paper. Some even deprove. I prefer my H2 based on what I see from the H7/9 reviews, ha.
    What's even worse is that they are squeezing way too many pixels on a too small sensor - all marketing BS. Right now it is what? 12mp crammed into a 1/2.5" sensor?

    Not that your typical consumer notices anything other than the number of pixels anyway; it is the easiest way to sell their rubbish PnSes.

  8. #68

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    I still can't decide. So help me.
    Anything. Whatever.

  9. #69

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by rodel View Post
    EOS 1Ds Mark II
    Might as well ... EOS 1Ds Mark III... Anyhow shoot can still get good colour.
    :blah: D80, Sigma 18-50/f2.8, 70-200/f2.8 (HSM).

  10. #70

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    What's even worse is that they are squeezing way too many pixels on a too small sensor - all marketing BS. Right now it is what? 12mp crammed into a 1/2.5" sensor?

    Not that your typical consumer notices anything other than the number of pixels anyway; it is the easiest way to sell their rubbish PnSes.
    Nikon just did the other way round... They spread 12MP over the entire 24mmx36mm FF area.

  11. #71
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    1,406

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    My 0.01 cent suggestion.

    Go read up more on the different brands and functions of the camera first. Also if ur friends are also shooting, go out with them and borrow their cameras to try out b4 deciding which one to buy.

  12. #72

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Maybe now it should be change to:

    "Jump straight to mid range like D300, 40D, save upgrading money"

    Actually me decided on D200.. but after looking at the specs of D300.. i m willing to push abit more on my budget.. (if the different is not much eg.$500)

    Alot of comment is given on spending more $$ on lens and not the body.. so still thinking should i spend eg. $2.7 (hopefully) on a body as a beginner?

    pls advise..

  13. #73
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by adrianng View Post
    Maybe now it should be change to:

    "Jump straight to mid range like D300, 40D, save upgrading money"

    Actually me decided on D200.. but after looking at the specs of D300.. i m willing to push abit more on my budget.. (if the different is not much eg.$500)

    Alot of comment is given on spending more $$ on lens and not the body.. so still thinking should i spend eg. $2.7 (hopefully) on a body as a beginner?

    pls advise..
    bUy the D300 since u haven buy D200. Given the 2 choices, i will choose the D300. Better specs. Dun worry beginner or not.. If u can afford and like to use a better cam, simply get and save money on upgrading. =D

  14. #74

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    bUy the D300 since u haven buy D200. Given the 2 choices, i will choose the D300. Better specs. Dun worry beginner or not.. If u can afford and like to use a better cam, simply get and save money on upgrading. =D
    Now just got to wait and see the actually price of the D300.. my budget is about $4k..

    Another thing is.. it is a good idea to buy it when it 1st launched..? eg high price and got prob in the 1st few batches..

    i will be pairing it up with 18-200VR for its range.. so that i will know what focal length i need for my liking.. then i will upgrade to a better lens in the future.. Do u guys think is a good idea?

  15. #75

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Wow what a big budget. please make sure i am the first one you contact when u get fed up with your new hobby.

    Just bought my 400d less than 2 months, even after reading 3 books and the manual countless times (not to mention help sites), i am still learning something new everyday. and once in awhile i still flip back through the manuals. all this at the expense of shutter count.

    my opinion is, if you are new, buy something from the entry level, then spend on eq (lenses, flash, etc). if your budget is 4k, and you blow it all on a good body, i m afraid you may dig out another 2-3k for lenses and flash. the BBB virus will attack soon after. so better get a 1k body, and spend 2-3k on lenses and flash. also never buy with kit lens

  16. #76

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by sherman1979 View Post
    Wow what a big budget. please make sure i am the first one you contact when u get fed up with your new hobby.

    Just bought my 400d less than 2 months, even after reading 3 books and the manual countless times (not to mention help sites), i am still learning something new everyday. and once in awhile i still flip back through the manuals. all this at the expense of shutter count.

    my opinion is, if you are new, buy something from the entry level, then spend on eq (lenses, flash, etc). if your budget is 4k, and you blow it all on a good body, i m afraid you may dig out another 2-3k for lenses and flash. the BBB virus will attack soon after. so better get a 1k body, and spend 2-3k on lenses and flash. also never buy with kit lens
    Haha i also think 4K is abit big.. think spending 2.7K for a cam is abit expensive also..

    Then i think i wan a good cam to prevent future upgrade in 3-5yrs time.. (i hope..). I was thinking of D200, 18-200 and SB800.. but then suddenly the D300 come out.. so there is a change of plan.. anyway i m buying it slowly.. decided to get the cam n lens 1st.. later then flash n tripod.. as i maybe going to jap in the future.. maybe get it there? (izzit cheaper har??)

    pls advise..

  17. #77

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    technology is only going to get better and better cameras will be out there later for more affordable prices so i say:

    get a cheap (but good) one now, learn the skills and develop the interest. then when you really know and like the improvements in the new tech, upgrade.

    just think about it~

    -my 2 cents

  18. #78
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by adrianng View Post
    Now just got to wait and see the actually price of the D300.. my budget is about $4k..

    Another thing is.. it is a good idea to buy it when it 1st launched..? eg high price and got prob in the 1st few batches..

    i will be pairing it up with 18-200VR for its range.. so that i will know what focal length i need for my liking.. then i will upgrade to a better lens in the future.. Do u guys think is a good idea?
    4k is a good budget to start. u can surely buy the d300. as the lens, it is good lens for this focal range by nikon, u can buy this 2 together. add a flash unit and diffuser if need. and u all gd to go. =D

  19. #79
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by adrianng View Post
    Haha i also think 4K is abit big.. think spending 2.7K for a cam is abit expensive also..

    Then i think i wan a good cam to prevent future upgrade in 3-5yrs time.. (i hope..). I was thinking of D200, 18-200 and SB800.. but then suddenly the D300 come out.. so there is a change of plan.. anyway i m buying it slowly.. decided to get the cam n lens 1st.. later then flash n tripod.. as i maybe going to jap in the future.. maybe get it there? (izzit cheaper har??)

    pls advise..
    buy a gd cam and save on upgrade is gd.. currently the specs of new cams are much better than the past, so u can save on upgrade for a few years.

    Japan is a gd place to shop for cameras. pay by cash, u can get cheaper price. Reason is because SLRs are produced in Japan, u can save on taxes - import tax and gst. i save 700 on my body grip, i can save 250 more if i had bring cash there.

    Japan is a must go for all photographers... +D DSLR bodies and lenses on display on the shelves for u to try out ~~

  20. #80
    Senior Member xunjas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapura
    Posts
    6,490

    Default Re: First dSLR - what to get???

    Quote Originally Posted by sherman1979 View Post
    Wow what a big budget. please make sure i am the first one you contact when u get fed up with your new hobby.

    Just bought my 400d less than 2 months, even after reading 3 books and the manual countless times (not to mention help sites), i am still learning something new everyday. and once in awhile i still flip back through the manuals. all this at the expense of shutter count.

    my opinion is, if you are new, buy something from the entry level, then spend on eq (lenses, flash, etc). if your budget is 4k, and you blow it all on a good body, i m afraid you may dig out another 2-3k for lenses and flash. the BBB virus will attack soon after. so better get a 1k body, and spend 2-3k on lenses and flash. also never buy with kit lens
    kit lens is a good lens for ppl who dun know wad they want to shoot and wad they want to buy. Try shooting with kit lens and discover about wad to shoot.

    gd body is expensive, but it has better specs compared to entry level ones.. some users can take even better photos if they use a better cam than a entry level ones.

    Simply buy what u can afford and need and beginner or not is no issue, as long user enjoy photography =)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •