Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs advice1

Default Newbie needs advice1

Hi,
    took this shot at Pulau Ubin last sunday. your advice much appreciated. thanks for looking.

Taken using F80 and Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-4
    Last edited by giddygoat; 15th April 2003 at 10:56 PM.

looks abit under leh dude

maybe the stewpid service scanned it damn lousily

sigh...i'm waiting for mine to be developed

it looks... 'empty'. what was your intention in this shot? i get the feeling of 'there's nothing here, and nothing's going on'.

Originally posted by d7t3
    it looks... 'empty'. what was your intention in this shot? i get the feeling of 'there's nothing here, and nothing's going on'.
    i guess i would call it 'peace and quiet'' or something like that.
    just wanted a shot of the sea and sky. have other shots with kelongs and all that in the view but i prefer this cos it just feels very serene.

Originally posted by plsoong
    looks abit under leh dude

maybe the stewpid service scanned it damn lousily

sigh...i'm waiting for mine to be developed
    yah lor, it's my exposure setting. too bright so i metered on the sky then just adjusted down a bit. that's why the background is too dark. had others that have the foreground nicely exposed but the sky a bit over. not enough skill any advice?
    this is my fave of the few shots since i like the way the sky looked and the light is not too glaring unlike the others.

hmm.. personal take here, i tend to agree with d7t3 that it looks empty, devoid of a focus. maybe its the under exposure, the dark forground and rather dirty looking water does not give me a sense of serenity.

maybe if u crop out the left without the bush may be better.

just my two cents worth. ..no offence.

ego bruised
    just kidding.

Originally posted by dehuis
    hmm.. personal take here, i tend to agree with d7t3 that it looks empty, devoid of a focus. maybe its the under exposure, the dark forground and rather dirty looking water does not give me a sense of serenity.

maybe if u crop out the left without the bush may be better.

just my two cents worth. ..no offence.
    hokay. point noted. agree with you about the trees to the left. a bit distracting. wish i didn't include them. seemed a good idea at the time to have some trees there but i think it's a little distracting.
    still kinda like the emptiness though. maybe next time will try it with a point of focus and see the difference.
    need to work on the exposure too. any advice on how to get the exposures right? still kinda unsure on that especially with very bright backgrounds.

agree with you about the trees to the left. a bit distracting. wish i didn't include them. seemed a good idea at the time to have some trees there but i think it's a little distracting.
    not necessarily. at least it anchors the scene; it's also the bluest part of the sky, and the trees are a sign of life. without them, it might be less serene?
    still kinda like the emptiness though. maybe next time will try it with a point of focus and see the difference.
    yep, what you see/feel is often not easy to express thru a picture. it does need thought, and photos usually need a focus.
    need to work on the exposure too. any advice on how to get the exposures right? still kinda unsure on that especially with very bright backgrounds.
    1. film can usually take a brightness range of around 5 stops. using your f80's spot meter, gauge the brightness of the different areas. if the range exceeds 5 stops, you're probably going to have shadow areas too dark or bright areas washed out. our eyes have a much better tonal range than film. we can see much more variation than it can.
    2. decide which parts you want to be the medium tone. you will need to find a point between the brightest & darkest levels which you're happy with. e.g if the sky is 1/500 f5.6, and the sand at your feet is 1/30 f5.6, you can choose 1/60 f5.6, in which case there will be some detail & colour in the sand, but the sky will be washed out, or you can choose 1/250 f5.6, in which case the sky will be a nicer blue, but the sand will definitely be too dark.
    3. early morning and late afternoon are the times many photographers prefer becos the contrast between sky and land is not so great then. the light quality is also warmer & richer.

thanx for all your advice.really appreciate you guys for all your feedback. will try and do better next time.
    d7t3; thank you so much. always had problems figuring out the proper exposures.

RedDevil7
    Guests

gives me the feeling of an empty place, devoid of happiness. the foreground has 2 much details shrouded in shadows. it can still work depending on wat theme u working at.

RedDevil7
    Guests

Originally posted by giddygoat
    i guess i would call it 'peace and quiet'' or something like that.
    just wanted a shot of the sea and sky. have other shots with kelongs and all that in the view but i prefer this cos it just feels very serene.
    if peace n serenity's wat u aiming for, maybe a much cleaner image can b captured. the sticks sticking out of the water n the shadows in the foreground really doesn't make yr theme work. imho.

RedDevil7
    Guests

yah lor, it's my exposure setting. too bright so i metered on the sky then just adjusted down a bit. that's why the background is too dark. had others that have the foreground nicely exposed but the sky a bit over. not enough skill any advice?
    this is my fave of the few shots since i like the way the sky looked and the light is not too glaring unlike the others.
    if its 2 glaring maybe u can try using a nd filter n meter somewhere 2 give u a better exposure overall.

thanx. points noted. the shadows definitely have to go. but i actually kinda like the stick, a bit of a counterpoint to the wide open space.aiyah, maybe it's just i have funny taste. maybe go home and photoshop and get rid of the sticks and see the diff.

i guess i like the emptiness cos you dun see much of it in singapore. it's just very closed up here. i kinda feel free and uncluttered when i look at the pic.

umm, not real sure how the nd filter works actually.

thanks everybody!

The ND filter reduces the amount of light that enters the lens, thus allowing u to use a lower shutter speed under bright lightning.

Originally posted by RedDevil7
    if its 2 glaring maybe u can try using a nd filter n meter somewhere 2 give u a better exposure overall.
    You meant polariser right?

have a hoya circular polariser. is that the same?

have a hoya circular polariser. is that the same?
    Same as what?

Originally posted by imaginary_number
    You meant polariser right?
    You were refering to red devil's ND filter. i have a circular polariser and it does cut out the glare a lot. is that whjat you mean? is that similar to the ND filter?
    soo many types of filters

RedDevil7
    Guests

thanx. points noted. the shadows definitely have to go. but i actually kinda like the stick, a bit of a counterpoint to the wide open space.aiyah, maybe it's just i have funny taste. maybe go home and photoshop and get rid of the sticks and see the diff.

i guess i like the emptiness cos you dun see much of it in singapore. it's just very closed up here. i kinda feel free and uncluttered when i look at the pic.

thanks everybody!
    no prob lah bro. the bottomline is u muz like the shot yrself. doesn't really matter wat others think. cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast