Thread:

Just a shot taken with my 50mm f/1.8. Called it "独" because of the seed existence at a place where it should not be. However, this also makes it stand out from the rest. Sort of remind me of myself and those who are working overseas...especially on national day.

Default Re: 独

Subject a little too small and the green at the background a little distracting for me. Maybe you like to go closer.

Hi grumpy, thanks for giving me some comments. Do you mean go closer to take the shot or maybe i should crop more to bring out the subject? Ya, i agree the background is distracting but was hoping to bring out the "bokeh" and the stone block seems hard to show the difference in the DOF. Would love to hear more pointers from you! Thanks!

I meant go closer.
    If your original shot still got room for zooming in, then might be possible to crop, but I really doubt it.

hmm, point noted. ya, i tried to crop, but the quality of the pic goes down when i blow up the cropped image. Will be more careful in my composition next time. Thanks for your pointers again~

I am still learning.
    BTW, you have a good collection in your flickr.

Same here mate. Still learning. Shoot more! And thank you for viewing my flickr collection. Just some humble shots, hope you enjoy viewing it.

i think the seed is a bit too bright or overexposed (i may be wrong) and the seed seem lost in the stone. I can't really find the seed til 4 or 5 secs later (then again, could be my slow brain processing)

<Edit: Yup. confirm my brain was a bit slower earlier...could find the seed faster when i relook again>

but if the seed does not reflect too much light (is there such a stone? maybe marble? or?), it will be nice (for me...).

but then again, it's just my views from a super noobie amateur here.....
    Last edited by godzilla60; 10th August 2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: confirmed...
    G

you need to make you subject stands out more, but your idea of 独, solitary.. here,
    going closer may don't really work well,
    you can try other means like contrast of shape, texture, size, color, or form, lines to tell the relationship between the subject and surroundings.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla60 View Post
    i think the seed is a bit too bright or overexposed (i may be wrong) and the seed seem lost in the stone. I can't really find the seed til 4 or 5 secs later (then again, could be my slow brain processing)

<Edit: Yup. confirm my brain was a bit slower earlier...could find the seed faster when i relook again>

but if the seed does not reflect too much light (is there such a stone? maybe marble? or?), it will be nice (for me...).

but then again, it's just my views from a super noobie amateur here.....
    True, i agree the seed is a bit overexposed due to the reflection of the sunlight. Another point noted. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you need to make you subject stands out more, but your idea of 独, solitary.. here,
    going closer may don't really work well,
    you can try other means like contrast of shape, texture, size, color, or form, lines to tell the relationship between the subject and surroundings.

hope this help.
    Hmm, i think what grumpy meant is go closer so that the green background will not be seen and at the same time brings out the difference between the seed and the stone block (oh ya, godzilla 60, it is a stone seat at the fountain of the Sky Garden in Suntec anyway) such that it stands out to suit the title.

Good suggestion! The thought of using the contrast between shape, texture, size and form didn't cross my mind! All along, i basically only thought of lines and colour in abstract shots.
    Thanks for your pointer, catchlight!