Great thread! Just wanna share some (random) tots.
1. It was Creative who first entered the market with a portable Harddisk MP3 player. Not Apple.
2. The first Creative MP3 player was designed in their California R&D unit. But once its was done, Creative 'downsized' the place and shifted R&D back to Singapore 'to save costs'. Apparently Apple hired most of the folks and they came up with the iPod later. (Can anyone verify this story? I read it online but not sure if its a fact). Bad karma from Creative...??
3. Creative MP3 players loosing mkt share in US becoz of 3 things: iPod, iTunes & iTunes Store. This three items just work/integrate better. I mean with a iPod I could just download the songs, podcasts and videos I wanna watch and it will be sync with my player. With Creative, maybe I need to buy the CD, convert to MP3 in my PC and then sync with my Zen.
4. When SWH announce Creative gonna spend US100Million to 'big' up Creative and get more market share, my first tots were, 'why not use the 100M to build a better product?'. imho, SWH is outta touch with the world out there, he is using 80's 90's marketing tactics (More Features! etc etc) in the new millenium. Lucky Creative was able to get back some of those money when Apple paid them for patent rights.
5. Apple actually wanted to work with Creative to do the iPod, but got rejected and then came the iPod..