Thread: A little help on macro

Default A little help on macro

Hi wanna shoot macro shots but dun have the cash to get a macro lens. Someone offered an alternative like a close up filter.

Will it really help me take good macro photos with my crappy kit lens? I know there will be picture degration but its a trade off im willing to take.

What dioper would you recommend? Mines a 14-45 Zuiko Digital Olympus. Thks

Default Re: A little help on macro

how can you calculate the amount of focusing distance reduced like using the dioper number? like for example a macro 150mm lens take around 38 cm minimum to focus and lets say a similar lens that is zoom 200 takes around 110 cm to focus, how much distance would the close up filter reduce? Thks

i tink +4 filter divides the distance by 4 and you go closer?
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Social View Post
    how can you calculate the amount of focusing distance reduced like using the dioper number? like for example a macro 150mm lens take around 38 cm minimum to focus and lets say a similar lens that is zoom 200 takes around 110 cm to focus, how much distance would the close up filter reduce? Thks
    You can find the answer at Macros & Close-ups FAQ # 7
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Hi wanna shoot macro shots but dun have the cash to get a macro lens. Someone offered an alternative like a close up filter.

Will it really help me take good macro photos with my crappy kit lens? I know there will be picture degration but its a trade off im willing to take.

What dioper would you recommend? Mines a 14-45 Zuiko Digital Olympus. Thks
    I'm also using closeup filters for closeup photography. I use 2 of them instead and results are fairly gd, but with a tad soft.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Hmm read online that some pll buy filters larger than their lens size and size it down with a adapter to reduce noise and they always put the appectual very small. Will putting a larger close up filter reduce the distortion but also reduce the filter's effect? Thks for teh guild too

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    I'm also using closeup filters for closeup photography. I use 2 of them instead and results are fairly gd, but with a tad soft.
    Oh ya what value are you using?

Oh ya what value are you using?
    Two +4 closeup filters. Here's an example taken today with a WhaleTail.

Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Say...how much do diopters for Oly ZD 58mm lenses cost nowadays? I don't recall seeing them on the 4/3 pricelist

CLose up filters degrades your pictures and stacking 2 or more filters is for me... Best is still to use extension tubes!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

The image is definitely soft with 2 close up filters. For your case, perhaps a 50mm extension will do the job better.

Yeah it is a tad soft but i'm fine with the results as i'm not so much into macro. By the way i focused on the body and not the eyes.