Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National Day Parade?

Default Re: National Day Parade?

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    possible for public to go suntec and view the uncasing of colours?
    Not sure about today as it's the actual day, previously, I was inside Suntec, but they don't allowed the photographers (even with pass) to among the G.O.H contingents to take photos, so I went up to second floor to captured my shots, which are what you can in my Flickr gallery.

But no harm trying just to go to Suntec second floor and try.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    Stand at the bridge linking Citylink Mall to Suntec City and shoot downwards?
    That's the only choice, 1st floor will be enclose due to security reasons.
    Last edited by jnet6; 9th August 2007 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    Not sure about today as it's the actual day, previously, I was inside Suntec, but they don't allowed the photographers (even with pass) to among the G.O.H contingents to take photos, so I went up to second floor to captured my shots, which are what you can in my Flickr gallery.

But no harm trying just to go to Suntec second floor and try.
    I was there just over 3pm today and it's already soooo packed everywhere!! To my disappointment, i left without taking today's NDP and fireworks.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Yar....due to the uber larger crowd. Its hard to get in and get out!
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

I arrived at the open ground next to One Marina around 2pm, managed to find myself a very good spot, so good that it was later jammed packed with too many inconsiderate blangas and other locals as well.

It was great that manage to met up with some CS member who was there later, and manage to find a space next to me.

Thankfully, was there earlier, so the crowd behind us couldn't blame us for standing up as they saw our 'weapon' of tripods... Haha... So they know we are there to take photos.. But when other tried standing up, all kena shouted to sit down again. Haha...

Some photographers who came late were somewhat inconsiderate as well, they came late, and they forced their way in among the corner where we were, and there were already few families set up their ground sheet and sat there, but these photographers simply ignore their food stuff on the ground and just walk and cross over the food stuff just like that, ended up kena scolded by the families sat down there, yet they still can argue their way through while few of them simply pretend hear nothing and force their way through next to us, totally ignored our tripods that were already there.

Still, it was kind of fun to see what went on and happening there. But the crowd eventually got so crowded, and due to darkness, many actually took the risk and climb outside the railings and sat just at the edge of the coastal wall.

Taken quite a lots of shots on fire works, but didn't turn out too well, need lots of PP work. The smoke was not too bad as the wind was on our favour as it was blowing the smoke away from us and towards Esplanade side, so, managed to get few clean shots.

i was there at 3pm, where the old outdoor theater used to be. set up behind a family who was out in full force (all wearing red). had a great time chatting with them and their kids.

the chinhook hover above the water right infront of us, super cool man, water was spraying in all direction.

only problem i had is, both batteries went flat just before the fireworks starts.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored Dad View Post
    I arrived at the open ground next to One Marina around 2pm, managed to find myself a very good spot, so good that it was later jammed packed with too many inconsiderate blangas and other locals as well.

It was great that manage to met up with some CS member who was there later, and manage to find a space next to me.

Thankfully, was there earlier, so the crowd behind us couldn't blame us for standing up as they saw our 'weapon' of tripods... Haha... So they know we are there to take photos.. But when other tried standing up, all kena shouted to sit down again. Haha...

Some photographers who came late were somewhat inconsiderate as well, they came late, and they forced their way in among the corner where we were, and there were already few families set up their ground sheet and sat there, but these photographers simply ignore their food stuff on the ground and just walk and cross over the food stuff just like that, ended up kena scolded by the families sat down there, yet they still can argue their way through while few of them simply pretend hear nothing and force their way through next to us, totally ignored our tripods that were already there.

Still, it was kind of fun to see what went on and happening there. But the crowd eventually got so crowded, and due to darkness, many actually took the risk and climb outside the railings and sat just at the edge of the coastal wall.

Taken quite a lots of shots on fire works, but didn't turn out too well, need lots of PP work. The smoke was not too bad as the wind was on our favour as it was blowing the smoke away from us and towards Esplanade side, so, managed to get few clean shots.
    Was there too quite early. I must say that the atmosphere was spoiled by inconsiderate people around, not only foreigners but some Singaporeans as well. There was a Mr Jeep who just refused to sit down despite all the crowd booing at him.

Which part were you at?

hmm...singapore many inconsiderate people nowdays...esp the bangala...today rite when the firework start a fight was right behind me and when a guy asked them to stop the girl shouted say "he molest me!" and i stunt but i think that the firework was much interesting therefore continue to shoot the fireworks first...haha...the girl is a malay...her friedns pinned that molestor down and all was malay...i cant see the molestor...but i think if the molestor is guilty, he should be beaten up then put behind bars...LOL...saw few photographers who were well prepared but late...so stand behind but i think they had nice shot...haha...in between them got 1 tall ang mo...their camera so big...haha...must be pro manz...ahaha

i just back from there there have some light look jelly fish beside the sea....
    i cant shot any nice photo because i am behind the wall

may i know who have take nice shoot for sharing?

Yeah i strongly agree abt the inconsideration of banglas and also the locals too.

From the looks of the fireworks from the news, seems like very smoky again, similar to the preview one.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

I am not trying to be unfriendly to the foreign workers, BUT these guys are really INCONSIDERATE! They squeeze in whatever empty space that they can stand and even obstruct other people's view.

I think another open area should be set up strictly for them only, so they can all squeeze together and do whatever nonsense that they like.

Quote Originally Posted by nantasy View Post
    I am not trying to be unfriendly to the foreign workers, BUT these guys are really INCONSIDERATE! They squeeze in whatever empty space that they can stand and even obstruct other people's view.

I think another open area should be set up strictly for them only, so they can all squeeze together and do whatever nonsense that they like.
    I doubt this will be abolished cos we're in a public place altogether.

perhaps for them squeezing in tight spaces is a way of life!?!!! look at it from their point of view mate...they come highly overpopulated countries where space is really scarce and life is a bag full of squeeze everywhere. So for them they dont think it inconsiderate to squeeze into any available space. if they were to read what you wrote...they may even think you're being inconsiderate for complaining about them squeezing in despite there being some small place available around you.

Easy to complain mate but it's amazing once the frame of reference is shifted how these same observations can vary....think in totality and then act / comment.

And to someone who suggests a separate area for them...that is so highly insensitive!! are you going back to apartheid...indeed pathetic! quite sad that some people in this forum have such a shallow point of view! my two cents ...go ahead and flame me all you want!

Quote Originally Posted by nantasy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jeffng28 View Post
    Was there too quite early. I must say that the atmosphere was spoiled by inconsiderate people around, not only foreigners but some Singaporeans as well. There was a Mr Jeep who just refused to sit down despite all the crowd booing at him.

Which part were you at?
    I can safely say that I was at the corner foremost tip of the open ground. I was quite surprised too when I reach there, as it was not occupied. There were already some families set up their 'pinic' site around there but no one actually take that forward most tip corner, so I just move forward and put my gear down and set up my tripod there. Slightly later, a young CS member came along and we started to had chats, and later, few more young photographers whom I believed are also CS members joined us there too.

Slowly and surely, the crowd gathered there was really beyond my expectation. Never thought that this open grund can be so jam pakced with people, it's as good as having another 'viewing gallery' for NDP, it can be easily more than few thousands people there.

Perhaps, the relevant authorities can consider to set up a giant screen and sound for the crowd there, cause they had no idea of what's going on at the parade ground and they can see the performances during the NDP.

As for those foreign worker that sequeeze through, while I can understand their mentality of sequeezing like what daydreamz had mentioned, but I guess what they should learn is not to 'overrun' others, they want to sequeeze to watch, just stay where they can and not purposely move forward, stomping over people's stuffs, ground sheets/mat, food stuffs, and then ended up blocking those who were there earlier. That will only provide others to be angry with them.

Setting up an separate place for them is not a wise choice to make as it will deemed as discrimination against them. Furthermore, I do think that some local Singaporeans behaved much worse than these foreign workers.

All we need is a little more tolerance, understanding, co-operation and respect for each other and enjoy the amtosphere and event together. Let our multi-racial spirit and harmony be extended towards the foreign workers as well.
    Last edited by Bored Dad; 10th August 2007 at 06:10 AM.

not to side with anybody in this foreign worker issue, I feel if you just exercise normal courtesy and ask them to move out from your framing, I am sure they will oblige . Yes, they will get in the way initially but tap on their shoulder. At most you lose that one frame of fireworks. But seriously those latecomers squeezing like nobody business, must not give way to them. So much for a gracious society.

The crowd control by the police was pathetic. They closed here and there, end up people got packed like sardines and the police dont really care as long as the traffic flow smoothly on the roads.

Why not they just close the roads in the vicinity of padang, fullerton, esplanade. Let the citizens soak in the atmosphere instead of having to squeeze body to body along the pavement. It is only once a year affair, but i think if this doesn't benefit the economy, the government will not do it unlike with the coming F1. Its the nation birthday after all. Geez!!!

Arrow Re: National Day Parade?

It was a truly great birthday celebration

Went with a couple of friends to catch the "warmth" (not that of the tropical sun).

Singapore has truly come a long and prosperous 42 years. Love this year's slogan:

Short write-up and more pics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12