Thread: Laptop link to PC

Originally posted by ninelives
    make yourself a cross cable :

pin :

1 ----3
    2-----6
    3------1
    6------2
    4 and 5 straight through? Don't have the crimper also cannot crimp yourself.

Regards
    CK

You bought intel? Is it better than SMC. My intel wireless pcmcia can't get signal strength 1 floor above the Access Point, was think of trying SMC ... My Intel USB wireless is working fine though.

Originally posted by ckiang
    4 and 5 straight through? Don't have the crimper also cannot crimp yourself.

Regards
    CK
    use teeth lor.

Crossover cable color code is

1. White Orang
    2. orang
    3. white green
    4. green
    5. white blue
    6. green
    7. white brown
    8. brown

CK, u can buy a cheap crimping toosl cost you few dollar one, but u need to punch the pins one by one...
    I bought my crumping tools and tester last time cost me around RM500..but now is quite cheap oredi...

Originally posted by ninelives
    make yourself a cross cable :

pin :

1 ----3
    2-----6
    3------1
    6------2
    If only crimp this 4 and never follow color code will get only 10Mbps althought PC show 100Mbps connection...

Originally posted by Bluestrike
    hehhahaa,,,,..
    we got the same pro dude!
    hehhehheahhaaa
    I use Static IP tho and it happen when I plug into the other socket....
    Hi Bluestrike,

So, have you managed to solve the problem?

I am still trying to find out what I have missed out.

cheers!

ming Huei

--
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Wolfgang, have you decided on the LAN setup?

Not as yet... still waiting for my Laptop to arrive...

But most likely be using cross-cable method.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    Not as yet... still waiting for my Laptop to arrive...

But most likely be using cross-cable method.
    probably the best and most cost effective way...imho..

edit: if u are on winxp, i think u need not worry abt the configs...
    theres a wizard sorta thingy that will help you...

Wah where you buy the Intel Wireless PCMCIA for $57 for? i just bought one last month for $95...

If you guys want a cheaper solution to share a cable connection, can get a cheap switch (as low as $50) as well with 5 ports. SCV comes in and connects to one main computer, the signal goes out from this computer on a 2nd network card into a switch (yes the comp needs 2 network cards). the remaining computers (up to another 3 or 4 computers) can connect through this switch. Must enable internet connection sharing on the first computer. In this instance straight cables are used. Bandwidth is shared equally among the comps, but of course the first gateway computer always seems faster.

Originally posted by Minimalis
    Wah where you buy the Intel Wireless PCMCIA for $57 for? i just bought one last month for $95...

If you guys want a cheaper solution to share a cable connection, can get a cheap switch (as low as $50) as well with 5 ports. SCV comes in and connects to one main computer, the signal goes out from this computer on a 2nd network card into a switch (yes the comp needs 2 network cards). the remaining computers (up to another 3 or 4 computers) can connect through this switch. Must enable internet connection sharing on the first computer. In this instance straight cables are used. Bandwidth is shared equally among the comps, but of course the first gateway computer always seems faster.
    It'll actually be more cost-effective to get a 2nd-hand 4-port router/switch (~$70?) in the long run - consider the cost of leaving the first computer running almost all the time vs the keeping a router/switch on all the time.

Originally posted by mig37
    Hi all,

Since we are on routers, I am using the Linksys 4 port router with 2 PCs. Lately, I add a lap top to my network. The problem is, On its own, the lap top can connect to the network. But, when I turn all 3 of them on, only 2 can access the network at any 1 time.

Did I miss something?

Many thanks.

Ming Huei
    Did you set up the network yourself? I'm wondering if it's possible that the range of internal IP addresses has been limited to only 2.

Originally posted by Minimalis

from a popular shop in 5th floor....walk ard and check the price list lor....

btw, it is more worth it to get a router now.....they are around $100 for a new one....and everything simply plug and play....i never have to configure anything on the router or computer to surf net

setting up a host computer as router is quite troublesome...and i dun feel safe if i have to leave the computer on 24/7.....u also need to know what software to install and how to configure IP all that....
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Originally posted by imaginary_number
    Did you set up the network yourself? I'm wondering if it's possible that the range of internal IP addresses has been limited to only 2.
    not possible

Originally posted by Wai
    not possible
    Why not? If the number of DHCP users was set to 2 - wouldn't it mean that only 2 users can access the net?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by Wai
    setting up a host computer as router is quite troublesome...and i dun feel safe if i have to leave the computer on 24/7.....u also need to know what software to install and how to configure IP all that....
    Actually, with Windows XP, setting that up just requires a few clicks.

Originally posted by imaginary_number
    Why not? If the number of DHCP users was set to 2 - wouldn't it mean that only 2 users can access the net?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    by default shouldn't be that way

there isn't such option for my router, but i can speicify the starting and ending address for DHCP server

unless someone purposely set the range to somethig like

192.168.123.1 to 192.168.123.2 only....then the no. of users will be two

mig37 > can u coonect all the 3 PC and start a command prompt and type "ipconfig" and see if the router has assigned an IP address to the computer/laptop

if not type ipconfig /renew (for Win2k, XP) or ipconfig /renew_all (for Win9x) and see if it can obtain an IP address

if DHCP server working properly...u will see IP address, subnet mask and default gateway (gateway is your router IP)

if still cannot surf, try open your browser and type the IP addres of the gateway. eg. 192.168.123.254 for my case, and see if u can go to the router config menu
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Originally posted by Wai
    by default shouldn't be that way

there isn't such option for my router, but i can speicify the starting and ending address for DHCP server
    Well, it happens that there is such an option for my Linksys router.

unless someone purposely set the range to somethig like
    192.168.123.1 to 192.168.123.2 only....then the no. of users will be two

Ah... which is the reason I asked whether he set up the network himself.

Originally posted by Wai

mig37 > can u coonect all the 3 PC and start a command prompt and type "ipconfig" and see if the router has assigned an IP address to the computer/laptop...
    Alternatively, access the router's configuration page from one of the connected PCs that has access to the internet and check the DHCP Client's table under the DHCP menu.

You should see the names of your 3 computers registered in that table.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast