Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: good enough for friends wedding?

Default Re: good enough for friends wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    it's OK.........
    Everybody love to shoot a wedding...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duinchlfc View Post
    Thanks for the advice,i have placed those factors into considerations way before.
    Quick questions for you. Have you ever shot a wedding? Are you ready to shoulder the responsibility to deliver the pictures for your friend's most special day?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Quick questions for you. Have you ever shot a wedding? Are you ready to shoulder the responsibility to deliver the pictures for your friend's most special day?
    I should have said i'm just shooting for fun in the first place in order to avoid all these type of questions haha.

Seriously, I don't understand why when somebody asks about equipment for wedding, everybody must come in and ask "if this is your first time", "are you main photographer" or say better not take the risk, etc.

The original question was not "shall I take up the job?". Sometimes I suspect it's not because people are concerned about the photographer or the couple. If the couple asks some Joe to shoot for them, they should know full well the standard of this particular Joe and what to expect. I just think some people feel threatened that someone else is stealing their ricebowl. Give them a break, man!

To answer the threadstarter,

Yes, your set up is plenty good. In fact, any DSLR with kit lens would be good enough. I know of a full-time wedding pro with more than a decade experience who shoots with little more than a Nikon D40. I'd even go as far to say that some prosumer cams can do the job well enough. You'll need to invest in a good flashgun though, and that you already have. But eqpt is only part of the equation. Don't be too fixated about it.

Apologies if my post sounds abrasive. It's just my opinion.
    Last edited by synapseman; 8th August 2007 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Seriously, I don't understand why when somebody asks about equipment for wedding, everybody must come in and ask "if this is your first time", "are you main photographer" or say better not take the risk, etc.

The original question was not "shall I take up the job?". Sometimes I suspect it's not because people are concerned about the photographer or the couple. If the couple asks some Joe to shoot for them, they should know full well the standard of this particular Joe abd what to expect. I just think some people feel threatened that someone else is stealing their ricebowl. Give them a break, man!

To answer the threadstarter,

Yes, your set up is plenty good. In fact, any DSLR with kit lens would be good enough. I know of a full-time wedding pro with more than a decade experience who shoots with little more than a Nikon D40. I'd even go as far to say that some prosumer cams can do the job well enough. You'll need to invest in a good flashgun though, and that you already have. But eqpt is only part of the equation. Don't be too fixated about it.

Apologies if my post sounds abrasive. It's just my opinion.
    May the Lord praise your soul my good man! I wanted to say it but i've got enough warnings from the admins already haha.I know i've limited experience using DSLR's,but to get those kinds of replies only serves to dishearten me,however there's still kind souls out there who's more than willing to help than hurt.Cheers
    Last edited by Duinchlfc; 8th August 2007 at 11:27 PM.

May the Lord praise your soul my good man! I wanted to say it but i've got enough warnings from the admins already haha.I know i've limited experience using DSLR's,but to get those kinds of replies only serves to dishearten me,however there's still kind souls out there who's more than willing to help than hurt.Cheers
    We all gotta start somewhere.

The first few weddings, I shot solo. I had no portfolio to speak of. The only thing I had to work with was the faith my good friends had in me (they've only seen my landscape, etc shots). And what did I shoot with? A borrowed Nikon CoolPix 990/995! Then I've gone on the shoot with the Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi and A2 and right now, merely a Sony A100 + Dynax 5D set up. Using kit lens. Over time, I slowly upgraded my lenses, but they're still nowhere considered "top-end". I'm not say a very good wedding photographer. Not at all! But right now there are people willing to pay me to take photos for them, and they don't go "yee! Why your camera like that one?"

(But I guess those who have probs with my gear won't even hire me at all. Haha!)

And also, I don't believe you need spanking expensive/exotic lenses to carry out a wedding shoot. Sure, those lenses are nice to have, and they could help you achieve certain shots with greater ease, but as a lowly-paid civil servant by day, I am a strong believer in stretching your dollar and pushing your gear to the max. Even with modest equipment, as long as you can play to its stregths and work around their weaknesses (and assuming good basic composition), I really don't think your shots will be bad enough to ruin somebody's day. My guess is that if there's going to be any printing, it'll be mostly in 4R size, so any technical imperfections will not be obvious anyway.

As long as you've worked things out with the couple, I say GO AND SHOOT. Have fun! Nobody can guarantee a perfectly problem free day, but I say that's the best way to learn.

All the best.
    Last edited by synapseman; 8th August 2007 at 11:46 PM.

No offense, the fact that you need to ask such a question means you're not ready for such a task/assignment.

Unless your friend is not being billed or they are willing to risk of not having an experienced pro to cover their most important event, then you should consider not taking the job and just offer as an assistant to the pro (or extra photos for your friends ON TOP of the real photographer's sets).

There's a difference between being pessimisting and giving realistic advice. Everyone has to start somewhere, but covering once-in-a-lifetime events unprepared will be of no one's benefit.

Clarify your friend's expectations, if you have that straightened out, then by all means, go with it...

The lesson i have learnt here is when i do post,i have to post very specifically...Next time i'd type : Are these equipments enough? I am just shooting for fun,my friend has her own photographers,she is not paying me,she is fine with me taking her wedding photos,i am willing to miss out on the "fun" of eating and drinking..what else did i miss out?

But nevertheless thank you to those who genuinely gave me advice.

The original question was not "shall I take up the job?". Sometimes I suspect it's not because people are concerned about the photographer or the couple. If the couple asks some Joe to shoot for them, they should know full well the standard of this particular Joe and what to expect. I just think some people feel threatened that someone else is stealing their ricebowl. Give them a break, man!

do you really think photographers will get threatened that someone else will steal their ricebowl by shooting cheap or free weddings??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC macro and 580EX Mk II? Am thinking of getting a battery grip as well cause even on normal shooting days shooting at nothing particular,i'd rattle off 600+ shots.

Am using 30D so any comments? Cheers

Hardest part of a wedding are the indoor shots due to insufficient lighting.
    Practice lots of bounce flash indoors to get the correct settings for enough exposure.
    For outdoors, its all about composition/framing and knowing the aperture and focal lengths to use, might need fill flash sometimes.

Once u master the above (which isn't easy), u r quite set to go. Lastly, no need 600+ shots. 1 perfect shot taken carefully beats a 1000 average ones.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    do you really think photographers will get threatened that someone else will steal their ricebowl by shooting cheap or free weddings??
    They shouldn't. And those who have a particular target audience would have nothing to worry about.

But I suspect some do, just based on how newbies get hantam'ed on a regular basis for offering free or cheap services. The phrase "spoil market" tends to crop up, too. I'm just trying to put two and two together. I may be totally wrong in my assumptions.

Again, it's just an opinion.
    Last edited by synapseman; 9th August 2007 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoV View Post
    Hardest part of a wedding are the indoor shots due to insufficient lighting.
    Practice lots of bounce flash indoors to get the correct settings for enough exposure.
    For outdoors, its all about composition/framing and knowing the aperture and focal lengths to use, might need fill flash sometimes.

Once u master the above (which isn't easy), u r quite set to go. Lastly, no need 600+ shots. 1 perfect shot taken carefully beats a 1000 average ones.
    Thank you kind Sir.

The lesson i have learnt here is when i do post,i have to post very specifically...Next time i'd type : Are these equipments enough? I am just shooting for fun,my friend has her own photographers,she is not paying me,she is fine with me taking her wedding photos,i am willing to miss out on the "fun" of eating and drinking..what else did i miss out?

But nevertheless thank you to those who genuinely gave me advice.
    Duinchlfc, you say that as if clear and complete communications is a bad thing, and something to be avoided. I believe that most problems start out with, or because of poor, or incomplete communications. I also believe the bombing of Hiroshima was the result of a long line of events that was first sparked off because of a break in communications, but I'm not a historian.

I guess if you look beyond the surface of the 'pessimism', most who replied such were probably more concerned that:

1) you may screw up the documentation of a couple's very special and supposedly once-in-a-lifetime celebration, and

2) that a result of such things happening in the past have caused valuable friendships to sour.

I believe it was, for all intent and purpose, said in good faith to try and help you avoid unpleasant possibilities that others were unfortunate enough to suffer.

Perhaps there was too much stress on being ready and able to shoot such a significant (to many) event. Afterall, we are all adults, or at least most here are (no offence to those below 21 hor!), and everyone is capable of, and has a right to make their own decisions.

If your friends trust you to chronicle their wedding celebrations despite being fully aware that you have little or no experience in that field, that is their decision.

Just do as much research as you can before the fact, and if possible, shoot at any possible 'event' you can get permission for. It could be your friends at a hawker center; some relatives meeting on a weekend, or a family outing. Treat them as if they were 'actual weddings' and hone your skills as best as you can before the wedding. If there are any reharsals, ask to be included and shoot those with as much seriousness and purpose as if they were the actual day itself!

I hope the whole experience turns out well for you and your friends, and that you all enjoy yoruselves and the photographs turn out well. I know I did when I shot friends' weddings as a gift to them despite my inexperience, and despite all of us being very much stone drunk by the end of the day! LOL! I did deliver at least technically competent photographs though, and somwhow or another, the perfectly sharp, diagonally oriented close-up photographs of the bride's askew shoe and her feet never fail to bring about a bout of humiliating laughter! LOL!

CHEERS!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 9th August 2007 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Duinchlfc, you say that as if clear and complete communications is a bad thing, and something to be avoided. I believe that most problems start out with, or because of poor, or incomplete communications. I also believe the bombing of Hiroshima was the result of a long line of events that was first sparked off because of a break in communications, but I'm not a historian.

I guess if you look beyond the surface of the 'pessimism', most who replied such were probably more concerned that:

1) you may screw up the documentation of a couple's very special and supposedly once-in-a-lifetime celebration, and

2) that a result of such things happening in the past have caused valuable friendships to sour.

I believe it was, for all intent and purpose, said in good faith to try and help you avoid unpleasant possibilities that others were unfortunate enough to suffer.

Perhaps there was too much stress on being ready and able to shoot such a significant (to many) event. Afterall, we are all adults, or at least most here are (no offence to those below 21 hor!), and everyone is capable of, and has a right to make their own decisions.

If your friends trust you to chronicle their wedding celebrations despite being fully aware that you have little or no experience in that field, that is their decision.

Just do as much research as you can before the fact, and if possible, shoot at any possible 'event' you can get permission for. It could be your friends at a hawker center; some relatives meeting on a weekend, or a family outing. Treat them as if they were 'actual weddings' and hone your skills as best as you can before the wedding. If there are any reharsals, ask to be included and shoot those with as much seriousness and purpose as if they were the actual day itself!

I hope the whole experience turns out well for you and your friends, and that you all enjoy yoruselves and the photographs turn out well. I know I did when I shot friends' weddings as a gift to them despite my inexperience, and despite all of us being very much stone drunk by the end of the day! LOL! I did deliver at least technically competent photographs though! LOL!

CHEERS!
    Well said and thank you kind Sir

Oh cut the kind sir thingy.

Go and prepare yourself as best as you can! And have fun.

CHEERS!

Haha alright..thanks again.

They shouldn't. And those who have a particular target audience would have nothing to worry about.

But I suspect some do, just based on how newbies get hantam'ed on a regular basis for offering free or cheap services. The phrase "spoil market" tends to crop up, too. I'm just trying to put two and two together. I may be totally wrong in my assumptions.

Again, it's just an opinion.
    Those couples willing to take to risk to ask/look/try cheap and free photography, they will not hire any professional, cos couple not will to pay $$$, and professional can't do for cheap and free, so there is no ricebowl issue here..

those who suffer are your dearest fellow photographers want to do freelancing or just turning to full timer. many of them are charging very cheap already, and their customers willing to save $20, $50 and just try on anything..

Many people like to shoot weddings, get their hands try on one time or twice and give up, they don't know that this one or two assignments also mean something to many freelancing photographers, in the end, many can even last for one or two years, so tell me, who never give who chance??
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I think he already indicated that the couple already hired a PRO to cover their wedding and Duinchlfc is just tagging along to take pics to learn and give the couple extra photos as well.

If that's the case, go have fun dude... Just make sure you don't bother the paid photographers too much.

Oh, congrats to your friends as well

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    I think he already indicated that the couple already hired a PRO to cover their wedding and Duinchlfc is just tagging along to take pics to learn and give the couple extra photos as well.
    That nuggest of information was buried deep in post #27. Had it been stated upfront in post #1, or sooner, it would have thrown an entirely different light on perspectives, and people's replies.

Yatlap in post #3 asked Duinchlfc is he was the main or 2nd photog. There was no reply.

A lot of 'grief' could have been easily avoided if it wern't for the incomplete picture.

Catchlights is making a very valid statement. A lot of times, the action of one person, unknowingly, may have negative impact on many others. Culminatively, it could affects an entire industry. But Duinchlfc may not be that person here, as is hazily revealed in post #27 which I am sure many of us missed.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 9th August 2007 at 11:30 AM.

Yup... hehe probably got too excited to post the first post, no biggie, we're all just voicing out our opinions.

Any pro mind having me tag along too? Heh. I am kind of free up till 22nd Aug before I am due to fly out of Singapore again for a long duration.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast