Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chindogu

Default Re: Chindogu

capitalism without democracy is useless. The chase of the material and the maximisation of profits without consideration of social effects is the precise reason why governments implement laws that are beneficial for the people and country. To describe a country as a corporation brings to mind that one question, what happens to the people that are retrenched?

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    i read the lexus and the olive tree by friedman, was abt to pick up the world is flat before a return flight but i felt that it to be a little too dense for a long flight back
    It's alittle dense but its a good book to read...majes you review your life and pushes you to avoid complacency...how was the other 2 books? was thinking of checking them out.

Quote Originally Posted by shojibake View Post
    capitalism without democracy is useless. The chase of the material and the maximisation of profits without consideration of social effects is the precise reason why governments implement laws that are beneficial for the people and country. To describe a country as a corporation brings to mind that one question, what happens to the people that are retrenched?
    that's a question for communism don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    haha yes it would seem democracy & communism all have the same end result in mind. But i was furthering that analogy of LKY's quote on corporate capitalism.

You no need to go the either end of the extreme left or right, somewhere in the middle would do. Capitalism but abit of social welfare for the needy, its how much that is in debate.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    You no need to go the either end of the extreme left or right, somewhere in the middle would do. Capitalism but abit of social welfare for the needy, its how much that is in debate.....
    there's no such thing as social welfare in captialism.

Yes, which is why there's democracy.

It's alittle dense but its a good book to read...majes you review your life and pushes you to avoid complacency...how was the other 2 books? was thinking of checking them out.
    both books are good.

i'm a fan of weber, and i read a little more into robert bellah's interpretation.

the lexus and olive tree's talking abt the balance of globalisation, and that of the olive tree, something that keeps us firmly rooted, i.e. religiousity etc.
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by shojibake View Post
    Yes, which is why there's democracy.
    problem with that is in a real democracy every one is supposed to have a voice, but the reality of it is that what democratic nations have is representative democracy where someone is elected to speak for the interests of everyone...which may not be the case once that elected person assumes office. The good thing though is that most country's democratic systems hold the elected person accountable for their actions in office.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12