Thread: Choosing Speedlight

Default Choosing Speedlight

A newbie over here who had trouble choosing over speedlight

will be taking photograph for events , potraits and macro

currently using D80
    caught between Nikon SB-600 and SB-800

SB-600 is cheaper , cycle time shorter

SB-800 is more ex , heard that it can tilt down -7 degree which is suitable for macro shots, comes with a diffuser if i am not wrong

or should i go for other speedlight such as Metz

anyone care to give any advice?Thanks alot in advance
    http://www.dreamstime.com/Ionsoon_info
    So much Creativity So much Technology

Default Re: Choosing Speedlight

the myth that sb600 cycles time is shorter than sb800 is error.

u must read the specs *carefully*.

first point to note: U must see that the guide number of the SB800 is higher than SB600. higher guide number = stronger the flash.

second point to note: Both units use 4 batteries.(Assume sb800 never use the 5th battery).

conclusion: If both units use the same number of batteries, and SB800 has a higher guide number, wat does that mean? It means that if both flashes are fully discharged, the SB800 will of coursetake a longer time to recharge back to its max power. IF the SB800 is to recharge back to the power level of a SB-600 (guide number 32), the cycle time is the same.

And dun forget that sb800 can attach a 5th battery to it, and it shortens the cycle time by a reasonable amount of time.

Of course the sb 800 comes with the white diffuser, the in built bounce card and wide angle diffuser and the coloured gels. U can start shooting right away.

And not to mention, sb800 got other functions like stroboscopic flash, and a lower power setting at 1/128 compared to 1/64 of the sb600. at a lower power setting, u can use a faster shutter speed for those water droplet freezing scenes.

And if u got the money, u can buy the quantum battery or nikon sd-8a battery pack and connect to the sb-800. It allows an almost instant recharging of the flash. On the SB-600 there is no socket for u to pluck the battery packs.

and yes the SB800 can tilt down -7 degrees for macro shots, but to me its not really effective, i would rather use the flash off camera.

Metz is good too, but u may have a hard time findin the metz ppl to repair ur flash should it spoil
    Last edited by kcuf2; 7th August 2007 at 09:55 PM.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

kcuf2 has said it...

I've tried both the SB-600 and SB-800 and honestly if you have the cash, go for the 800. It's a much better piece of tool to work with.

And I would reccomend that you stick with Nikon flashes, less problems with future bodies if you need to upgrade later...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    the myth that sb600 cycles time is shorter than sb800 is error.

u must read the specs *carefully*.

first point to note: U must see that the guide number of the SB800 is higher than SB600. higher guide number = stronger the flash.

second point to note: Both units use 4 batteries.(Assume sb800 never use the 5th battery).

conclusion: If both units use the same number of batteries, and SB800 has a higher guide number, wat does that mean? It means that if both flashes are fully discharged, the SB800 will of coursetake a longer time to recharge back to its max power. IF the SB800 is to recharge back to the power level of a SB-600 (guide number 32), the cycle time is the same.

And dun forget that sb800 can attach a 5th battery to it, and it shortens the cycle time by a reasonable amount of time.

Of course the sb 800 comes with the white diffuser, the in built bounce card and wide angle diffuser and the coloured gels. U can start shooting right away.

And not to mention, sb800 got other functions like stroboscopic flash, and a lower power setting at 1/128 compared to 1/64 of the sb600. at a lower power setting, u can use a faster shutter speed for those water droplet freezing scenes.

And if u got the money, u can buy the quantum battery or nikon sd-8a battery pack and connect to the sb-800. It allows an almost instant recharging of the flash. On the SB-600 there is no socket for u to pluck the battery packs.

and yes the SB800 can tilt down -7 degrees for macro shots, but to me its not really effective, i would rather use the flash off camera.

Metz is good too, but u may have a hard time findin the metz ppl to repair ur flash should it spoil

thank you for ur precious advice. looks like i go for the SB-800.

Quote Originally Posted by IONSOON View Post
    thank you for ur precious advice. looks like i go for the SB-800.
    prices about 570~620

Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    prices about 570~620
    thanks..