Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Orchids

  1. #1

    Default Orchids

    Sorry i hope i m not double posting. I jus pick up photography recently n the reason behind is my orchids......the flowers don really last.....n i really wanna capture their best moments......i last posted this in the macro sub-forum but m not getting too much critique(maybe i posted at the wrong thread) I really need advise on lighting n composition of pics.



    The camera i m currently using is the canon S5IS. Pics r shot in manual mode.
    Last edited by eikin; 12th August 2007 at 09:54 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Orchids

    1st pic. becareful with exposure.. looks like you blew the highlights. underexposing a bit will bring back the highlights and darken the background, which will be good because it will 'clean' up the picture. also maybe clean the leaf, and possibly a tighter crop on the flower. i like this pic best.

    2nd. pic doesnt look sharp? and possibly take from a different angle to make it more interesting

    3rd. again..not that sharp, i'd get closer to the flower and have a smaller depth of field. also with the water beads. you could try using those spray bottles to get smaller droplets which i think would look better

  3. #3

    Default Re: Orchids

    awesome i love orchids I must take some pics of ours when there out

  4. #4

    Default Re: Orchids

    i thin kyou should burn the highlights on the flower.. i kinda like the lighting of the surrounding.. maybe with some pp it will come out nicer..
    Nikon!
    flickr

  5. #5

    Default Re: Orchids

    Quote Originally Posted by dw2chan View Post
    1st pic. becareful with exposure.. looks like you blew the highlights. underexposing a bit will bring back the highlights and darken the background, which will be good because it will 'clean' up the picture. also maybe clean the leaf, and possibly a tighter crop on the flower. i like this pic best.

    2nd. pic doesnt look sharp? and possibly take from a different angle to make it more interesting

    3rd. again..not that sharp, i'd get closer to the flower and have a smaller depth of field. also with the water beads. you could try using those spray bottles to get smaller droplets which i think would look better

    Pic 1. The lighting was being thrown from the top to create a burn highlight.....trying to create the effect of a glowing orchid........about the leaves i tried to wash them but the ferterlizer stain jus won't go off......don dare to rub the leaves as this might kill the plant.......

    About the sharpness in the pics........i m still trying to get the hang of it.....will try to improve........but i think there is limitation to wat a S5IS could really do......i might consider getting a dslr. Btw bro thanks for the much needed advises.....really appreciate them.....

  6. #6

    Default Re: Orchids

    Quote Originally Posted by littlejt View Post
    i thin kyou should burn the highlights on the flower.. i kinda like the lighting of the surrounding.. maybe with some pp it will come out nicer..
    Bro Thank u for the compliment.....but sorry i really newbie so can u tell me wat does pp stand for?
    Last edited by kel1ng; 8th August 2007 at 10:17 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore, West
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Orchids

    Quote Originally Posted by kel1ng View Post
    Bro Thank u for the compliment.....but sorry i really newbie so can u tell me wat does pp stand for?
    post processing. e.g. photoshop

  8. #8

    Default Re: Orchids

    Quote Originally Posted by bnalbino View Post
    awesome i love orchids I must take some pics of ours when there out
    Bro do share ur pics coz i really like to c them bloom.....

  9. #9

    Default Re: Orchids

    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post
    post processing. e.g. photoshop
    OIC will try to learn how to use photoshop........but first thing first i must go get the software ....he.....he......low on vit M liaoz.......jus bought the S5IS a few weeks ago n my finance minister olredy making so much noise....i have to buy a coach handbag to applease her......

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore, West
    Posts
    478

    Default Re: Orchids

    Quote Originally Posted by kel1ng View Post
    OIC will try to learn how to use photoshop........but first thing first i must go get the software ....he.....he......low on vit M liaoz.......jus bought the S5IS a few weeks ago n my finance minister olredy making so much noise....i have to buy a coach handbag to applease her......
    Yeah, better learn to shoot perfect than learn Photoshop :P
    Its like, hmm.. (no offence to PS fans) dunno how to drive properly and hence learn panel beating

  11. #11

    Default Re: Orchids

    Quote Originally Posted by kel1ng View Post
    OIC will try to learn how to use photoshop........but first thing first i must go get the software ....he.....he......low on vit M liaoz.......jus bought the S5IS a few weeks ago n my finance minister olredy making so much noise....i have to buy a coach handbag to applease her......
    are you even thinking of buying the photoshop software? your finance minister might be pleased to note that the original software would cost more than your camera. about 3-4 times more.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Orchids

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenEggs_n_Ham View Post
    are you even thinking of buying the photoshop software? your finance minister might be pleased to note that the original software would cost more than your camera. about 3-4 times more.
    Bro if u got lobang can pm me or not. Thank u

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Orchids

    1 picture per week please, thanks.

    2nd and 3rd image have been removed.
    Last edited by eikin; 12th August 2007 at 09:55 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Orchids

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    1 picture per week please, thanks.

    2nd and 3rd image have been removed.
    Sorry bro didn't read the sticky properly.....I coack eye lah........ BTW both pic 2 and 3 can be found here http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=300746 do keep more CnCs coming.......Thanks
    Last edited by kel1ng; 20th August 2007 at 10:04 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •