Thread: Eye-piece leaks

Default Eye-piece leaks

Who got take into account of light leaking from the view-finder when taking photo in a very bright environment?

Default Re: Eye-piece leaks

Quote Originally Posted by Lightworkz View Post
    Who got take into account of light leaking from the view-finder when taking photo in a very bright environment?
    wat u mean?

Are you talking about light leak during long exposures when your face isn't against the back of the camera ? For this case, you are supposed to close the eyepiece shutter (if your camera has one) or cover the viewfinder peep hole with something.

ahhh i never do tat lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lightworkz View Post
    I assume you're talking about SLRs here. Traditionally, SLRs would either have a built-in eyepiece shutter, or come with a separate clip-on cover to use when the eyepiece is not covered by the photographer's head (e.g. when using a tripod).

The main concern is, however, about light leaks to the exposure meter for automatic cameras, as the light sensors are typically glued to the pentaprism, fed from the focusing screen, or similar. The light leaks through the viewfinder and the flipped up mirror to the film/sensor are usually negligible compared to the exposure through the lens. This is probably only a problem if the camera is in very bright light, but the subject is in dark shadow. An eyepiece shutter/cover would help here as well.

For film, you wouldn't know about the effect of the light leak-in until it's too late. For digital, check the LCD and try again lor.

If taking a shot in a bright environment, with the shutter speed being so fast, the effect would be negliable. If it's long exposures in the dark, and you are afraid to cause a shift of your camera position by removing the eyepiece cover, I use my Oakley specs cloth to cover the VF. Removing it to look through and covering it back, wouldn't cause any movement.

I strongly thinks that the spec cloth no need to be Oakley brand also can ba. ;-p
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

isnt the mirror/prism already moved during shutter shoot (mirror blackout), so lights from the eyecup is no concern?

Quote Originally Posted by michhy View Post
    isnt the mirror/prism already moved during shutter shoot (mirror blackout), so lights from the eyecup is no concern?
    for very dark conditions, long exposures, it is still possible for light leakage.

Just cover with the viewfinder cap provided.

Nikon used to package them with D70, i think they stopped with D200 and newer.

Canon's is rubber and able to be attached to the strap..

Quote Originally Posted by XC Pictorial View Post
    for very dark conditions, long exposures, it is still possible for light leakage.

they still pack it with the d40, d80, etc the little piece of plastic, dk-5 or something
    chezburgr i can haz?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    I strongly thinks that the spec cloth no need to be Oakley brand also can ba. ;-p
    I just mention what I use (Apart from shielding my VF, it's also my outdoor lens cleaning cloth), it so happens to be an Oakley. Anything that doesn't allow light to pass through will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by XC Pictorial View Post

D200 does come with eyepiece cap DK-5, so does D50, D80, etc.

D2 series have built-in viewfinder shutter.

BC