Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle With Lic Number Plate

Default Re: Bicycle With Lic Number Plate

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    In my experience, bicycle on pavement more dangerous than motorcycle on pavement. Motorcycle on pavement normally they move very slowly (they know they are not supposed to be on the pavement) and they do lookout for pedestrians. They usually do it only when they need to park or take a shortcut. Bicycle on pavement act like the pavement belong to them and expect pedestrian to give way. Being a parent myself, I'm especially worried about children, who may change lane suddenly while walking and bicycle coming from behind/front will not be able to avoid them if they travel fast (like they usually do).
    Worst, they travel in both directions and drunked manner....

Actually if the bicycle parking lots at those MRT are taken out, more blocking on pavement etc... the cyclist amount sure goes down. Ever now and then got honk by those cyclist n they are riding FAST! If they ride slow, they should able to avoid other but they ride too fast, should be on the road instead.

Till now no one dare to stop them n ask them to get down. Think police side should send out few plain clothes, block the road n if kenna honk, stop them n fine them, they sure scare liao.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Actually if the bicycle parking lots at those MRT are taken out, more blocking on pavement etc... the cyclist amount sure goes down. Ever now and then got honk by those cyclist n they are riding FAST! If they ride slow, they should able to avoid other but they ride too fast, should be on the road instead.

Till now no one dare to stop them n ask them to get down. Think police side should send out few plain clothes, block the road n if kenna honk, stop them n fine them, they sure scare liao.
    It is good that the government is always trying something new. However, some of the people just abuse, misuse and wouldnt care less when they are using the road. If only people are just considerated, how nice would it be to see a cyclist passing by you.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post

The fundamental problem is that large parts of this society are utterly selfish, inconsiderate, and don't have any sense of civic responsibility - in my view a case of decadence/"spoilt brat syndrome".

I am confident that the average unlicensed cyclist knows the applicable rules to a comparable extent as the average licensed motorist. Most safety relevant rules (e.g. turning on lights at night) are little else but common sense anyway.
    I'm sorry, but I don't share your cynicism nor your confidence. I am a part of society, but I don't think the people around me are so bad. They are not angels, but certainly not as decadent and spoilt as you describe. Also, I am a driver, and I know that the rules are not that simple.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 14th August 2007 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    no matter what, I still think it is skill that is the most impt, not law.
    I think respect other road of pavement users are even more important
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    My first bike had a licence plate. That tells you how old I am.

The licence plate was for the bicycle, not for the rider. It simply indicated who owned the bike. You did not need a riding licence then, neither do you need one now.
    We are the same generation BUT I don't know how to ride a bicycle

I think I must salute a guy when I went for my IPT yesterday.

Was on the bus 167, saw a guy cycling on the pavement at a reasonable speed. Then I saw him do the best thing which every cyclist hardly do. He AVOID people at the bus stop n he go by the back of the bus stop. That area, quite small but yet, he cycle over there. What I like is his speed, slow n steady, really must salute this type of considerate cyclist. If every one cycle like him, PEACE!

I think I must salute a guy when I went for my IPT yesterday.

Was on the bus 167, saw a guy cycling on the pavement at a reasonable speed. Then I saw him do the best thing which every cyclist hardly do. He AVOID people at the bus stop n he go by the back of the bus stop. That area, quite small but yet, he cycle over there. What I like is his speed, slow n steady, really must salute this type of considerate cyclist. If every one cycle like him, PEACE!
    This is one of the good example. Just hope that everyone ride like him Considerate, slow and steady... do U know that pilot has the same unwritten rule.. should there be an emergency, during a plane crash.. avoid crowded area...

Quote Originally Posted by 1Ds View Post
    We are the same generation BUT I don't know how to ride a bicycle
    These are the possibilities:

1. U are not a guy.
    2. U are loaded e.g. a lot of $$$$$$

Just some guess work.. hahaha!

Can anybody post a pic of the Lic PLATE... If not must try ROV or LTA...

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    I think respect other road of pavement users are even more important

Mutual respect is important.. so that everybody is safe

Don't know how many of you have seen this:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/faqs/traffic_footways.htm

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Don't know how many of you have seen this:

http://www.spf.gov.sg/faqs/traffic_footways.htm
    Do you think Singaporean bothers on such rules/law n did the police did regular enforcement to give out warning to cyclist on pavement? NEVER! For me, for sure, I never see a policeman stopped a cyclist n fine him/her for cycling on the pavement.

I ever did encounter a couple, cycling fast down a gentle slope, ringing their bells heavily and expect other to give ways. If they want fast, go on the road but they didn't n think they have the rights n own the road.

Some time, I really want to take this kind of laws into my own hand. Stop those cyclist, esp on mountain bike or road bike. And if they want to fight with me, I will call police, see they dare to not. Why Police force don't have some safety office on the pavement to fine those cyclist? Even my area with no cycling sign on it, ppl still cycle. WTF!!!

How nice if everybody is considerate.. the troubleis there is always black sheep in the group.. that is where rules come into play.. and we need enforcement. Cannot enforce better not to have rule..

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't share your cynicism nor your confidence. I am a part of society, but I don't think the people around me are so bad. They are not angels, but certainly not as decadent and spoilt as you describe. Also, I am a driver, and I know that the rules are not that simple.
    I support.

Our crime rate is low. Does it meant that we do not need the Police?

To me no new is good news.

Do you think Singaporean bothers on such rules/law n did the police did regular enforcement to give out warning to cyclist on pavement? NEVER! For me, for sure, I never see a policeman stopped a cyclist n fine him/her for cycling on the pavement.

I ever did encounter a couple, cycling fast down a gentle slope, ringing their bells heavily and expect other to give ways. If they want fast, go on the road but they didn't n think they have the rights n own the road.

Some time, I really want to take this kind of laws into my own hand. Stop those cyclist, esp on mountain bike or road bike. And if they want to fight with me, I will call police, see they dare to not. Why Police force don't have some safety office on the pavement to fine those cyclist? Even my area with no cycling sign on it, ppl still cycle. WTF!!!

I hate this persky "bike-where-I-feel-like" and "this-is-my-grandfather-pavement" mentality and being a cyclist almost all my life..if there were very stiff rule I have no problem with that if this is the only way to change the spolit selfish mentality of these individual. This was never so prevailant almost a decade ago. I blame this on the immigrant construction workers which started this ugly ball moving and then the locals started joining in. The problem is how do you implement something to enfore this? The police? I was in the Police National Services and Reservist and trust me, I have had more then my fair share of yelling and asking those cyclist to get their ass off their bike when I catch them riding recklessly in paved area where a lot of people walk and even those riding on the road and "tumpang" passenger on their woobly bicycle navigating traffic. Thise people are example of accidents waiting to happen. Now why are the police not helping enough? I can safely say it is not that they are not doing enough about it. How many housing estates are there? Do you know how many people are the in the Police Force? How many join per year and how many leave? Well I more or less can gauge when I headed back to the force every reservist. It is not that easy being a Poilce officer now. It is sometime very much a thankless job and not a job alot of people would like to take on or stay long.

And the bad cycling thingy is not isolated..it happens in every estate and every block. How do you have enough people to catch enough of them to set an example? Unless we do something like pass on the work to another organisation like the way they use URA to summon parking offences..we will not have enough people to enfore it sad to say. You know I have had this idea for sometime but I doubt any of the authorities would do it. Set up an organisation like URA and hire peole to go enforce it. Technology has come to the point where this can be done cheapily and collecting evident is not hard. Prices of digital camera has come done..so has small cheaper memory module for those video camera. Film them or shoot a picture of them, stop them, issue warning first time and the next time you summon the hell out of them. I did something liek this to discourage illegal packing along a double yellow line once during one of my reservist stint. I took out my camera and pretend to take picture, you should have seen how many people rush from the coffesshop to remove their cars. And that was like 5 yrs ago. Make the fine stiff to really drill in the messenge like $500. To encourage enforcement officers to do their job, give them a commision (evil grin) heheh.. the balance goes to running the organisation and the additional..use that to build proper bike path or ther benefitial stuff. Before long this will curtain this bad bahaour down to just the few hard core. Who do you think does this biking about the most? The contruction worker especially the chinese and indian who are the main culprit and the really old and laz who are already too old and woobling on their bike they are more dangerous not just to themselvels but to those around them. Already every week I witness at least one crashing into someone, cut in to the path of some shophouse shelving just at their doorway..etc I think ifyou give a commision and you ensure that they did catch you on camera doing the bad deed...there is hardly any reason to cry foul. heheh...seem like a silly idea but I was thinking if this might not work. There..my 4 yrs old ideas is out in the open ...anyone wanna try this out? heheh this can also creat jobs man...why not earn a living off the bad behavour of this idiots. I am getting fedup and it is getting worst everyday and as a cyclist this puts a bad shine on us who actually love the sport and do their part to be nice and play nice.

Just to say how bad I have this old lady who clean a few offices in my building, she would cycle with her small old bike with all the badly attached basket to it and kind of stuff hanging from it. This is how she gets to each office on difference floor. She literally rides her bike into the lift without getting off and she would ride or sit on the bloody saddle and push herself along on her bike all the way around each hallway to each office and park it ther to do her stuff. then gets on it and push herself on it to another office. This is not some raggety old lady who can't walk...she is cleanign office afterall...but why you need to do that? You have to be that lazy in between doing cleaning offices? And this is the kicker!..the other day..she was on the footpath that I was walking ( yes she WAS CYCLING ON THE FOOTPATH) we came to a pedestral crossing, this bloody car drove up right where we are suppose to walk across..so it was one of those bloody inconsiderate drivers..so we end up having to walk around the car to cross the road and of course as usual...I purposely walk around close to the car and stare at the driver jsut to make a point of him not supposing to be there. This women ride up to me and told me how bloody inconsiderate this car driver was and she kept flipping him the finger and saying how rude and inconsiderate he was for not giving way to us. heheh...THIS is the typical kaisu singapore. They always right and others always wrong. I kept quiet as she rode away.

To just leave it to the police to do anything is not enough lah. They are already loaded with alot of work that are basically alot more important in some way or flooded with too much paperwork. The police force has changed alot from my earlier times in it in the 80s. That is why the URA has taken over all the parking fines. Unless other origanisation or the ministry can come up with something....we have to take some action in some way without going over the law. What I do? I never ever give way to them. I force them to get off the bike or make them go around me. I get vocal too. I have told off quite a lot of them..hell if I care if they understood but at least I get my satisfaction. They will back down I have not one try to L-L with me..so they do know it is wrong but they want to push it if they can to see how far they can go with it. So stand your ground. I do the same with those bloody persky idiot who look at theri !@##$ handphone as they walk and expect everyone to make way for them. I don't give way I walk hard and just make enough around for you to also make a slight change in the walk to share the same path but if you still don't I am going knock you on your side when you brush up to me thinking I am going to go out of my way just to make room foryou to walk and enjoy palying with your phone or PSP. If not I will stand there till you see me. ALl these bad behavour is becoming too prevalent of late. I don't know if it is just me or I am too old school but really...I for one am not putting this off and just letting it go. I think if enough peopel stand up to them they will change or will get the authority to finally look up and take note and do something about it. Hell looks like another good way to "fine" someone and make more money man. heh.. Why I think fining them work...for the typical Singapore...Money talks. Nothing hurts them more then taking money out of their pocket. I am a true blue Singapore and I am all for that idea. I am just sick of it with all this people.

*get off my ranting soap box*

And for those who ride on path as they feel cars are out to "get them" . Firstly, yes I have seen some nasty car drivers who would not give a care to cyclist. I got slightly knocked twice and fall over in the last 2 decades or more. But sometime the mistake is not the CAR but us being stupid and not learning the proper way to cycle properly, using hand signal or setting up your bike and your attire right. Very basic simple things like this not done can lead to problem with riding on the road. But if you do take the time to learn them you find riding on road is not that hard and is more about your MIND then your bike on the road. You just have to be more careful and LEARN TO RIDE BETTER don't make the excuse that the road is so dangerous that you need to ride on foot paves..you can only go so far with that flimsy excuse.
    Last edited by sammy888; 18th August 2007 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I hate this persky "bike-where-I-feel-like" and "this-is-my-grandfather-pavement" mentality and being a cyclist almost all my life..if there were very stiff rule I have no problem with that if this is the only way to change the spolit selfish mentality of these individual. This was never so prevailant almost a decade ago. I blame this on the immigrant workers which started this ugly ball moving and then the locals started joining in. The problem is how do you implement something to enfore this? The police? I was in the Police National Services and Reservist and trust me, I have had more then my fair share of yelling and asking those cyclist to get their ass off their bike when I catch them riding recklessly in paved area where a lot of people walk and even those riding on the road and "tumpang" passenger on their woobly bicycle navigating traffic. Thise people are example of accidents waiting to happen. Now why are the police not helping enough? I can safely say it is not that they are not doing enough about it. How many housing estates are there? Do you know how many people are the in the Police Force? How many join per year and how many leave? Well I more or less can gauge when I headed back to the force every reservist. It is not that easy being a Poilce officer now. It is sometime very much a thankless job and not a job alot of people would like to take on or stay long.

And the bad cycling thingy is not isolated..it happens in every estate and every block. How do you have enough people to catch enough of them to set an example? Unless we do something like pass on the work to another organisation like the way they use URA to summon parking offences..we will not have enough people to enfore it sad to say. You know I have had this idea for sometime but I doubt any of the authorities would do it. Set up an organisation like URA and hire peole to go enforce it. Technology has come to the point where this can be done cheapily and collecting evident is not hard. Prices of digital camera has come done..so has small cheaper memory module for those video camera. Film them or shoot a picture of them, stop them, issue warning first time and the next time you summon the hell out of them. Make the fine stiff to really drill in the messenge like $500. To encourage enforement office to do their join, give them a commision (evil grin) heheh.. the balance goes to running the organisation and the additional..use that to build proper bike path or ther benefitial stuff. Before long this will curtain this bad bahaour down to just the few hard core. Who do you think does this biking about the most? The contruction worker especially the chinese and indian who are the main culprit and the really old and laz who are already too old and woobling on their bike they are more dangerous not just to themselvels but to those around them. Already every week I witness at least one crashing into someone, cut in to the path of some shophouse shelving just at their doorway..etc I think ifyou give a commision and you ensure that they did catch you on camera doing the bad deed...there is hardly any reason to cry foul. heheh...seem like a silly idea but I was thinking if this might not work. There..my 4 yrs old ideas is out in the open ...anyone wanna try this out? heheh this can also creat jobs man...why not earn a living off the bad behavour of this idiots. I am getting fedup and it is getting worst everyday and as a cyclist this puts a bad shine on us who actually love the sport and do their part to be nice and play nice.

Just to say how bad I have this old lady who clean a few offices in my building, she would cycle with her small old bike with all the badly attached basket to it and kind of stuff hanging from it. This is how she gets to each office on difference floor. She literally rides her bike into the lift without getting off and she would ride or sit on the bloody saddle and push herself along on her bike all the way around each hallway to each office and park it ther to do her stuff. then gets on it and push herself on it to another office. This is not some raggety old lady who can't walk...she is cleanign office afterall...but why you need to do that? You have to be that lazy in between doing cleaning offices? And this is the kicker!..the other day..she was on the footpath that I was walking ( yes she WAS CYCLING ON THE FOOTPATH) we came to a pedestral crossing, this bloody car drove up right where we are suppose to walk across..so it was one of those bloody inconsiderate drivers..so we end up having to walk around the car to cross the road and of course as usual...I purposely walk around close to the car and stare at the driver jsut to make a point of him not supposing to be there. This women ride up to me and told me how bloody inconsiderate this car driver was and she kept flipping him the finger and saying how rude and inconsiderate he was for not giving way to us. heheh...THIS is the typical kaisu singapore. They always right and others always wrong. I kept quiet as she rode away.

To just leave it to the police to do anything is not enough lah. They are already loaded with alot of work that are basically alot more important in some way. That is why the URA has taken over all the parking fines. Unless other origanisation or the ministry can come up with something....we have to take some action in some way without going over the law. What I do? I never ever give way to them. I force them to get off the bike or make them go around me. I get vocal too. I have told off quite a lot of them..hell if I care if they understood but at least I get my satisfaction. They will back down I have not one try to L-L with me..so they do know it is wrong but they want to push it if they can to see how far they can go with it. So stand your ground. I do the same with those bloody persky idiot who look at theri !@##$ handphone as they walk and expect everyone to make way for them. I don't give way I walk hard and just make enough around for you to also make a slight change in the walk to share the same path but if you still don't I am going knock you on your side when you brush up to me thinking I am going to go out of my way just to make room foryou to walk and enjoy palying with your phone or PSP. If not I will stand there till you see me. ALl these bad behavour is becoming too prevalent of late. I don't know if it is just me or I am too old school but really...I for one am not putting this off and just letting it go. I think if enough peopel stand up to them they will change or will get the authority to finally look up and take note and do something about it. Hell looks like another good way to "fine" someone and make more money man. heh.. Why I think fining them work...for the typical Singapore...Money talks. Nothing hurts them more then taking money out of their pocket. I am a true blue Singapore and I am all for that idea. I am just sick of it with all this people.

*get off my ranting soap box*

Yes I have seen some nasty car drivers who would not give a care to cyclist. I got slightly knocked twice in the last 2 decades or more.
    next time put more paragraphs and spacing. very difficult to read.

Quote Originally Posted by deckard View Post
    next time put more paragraphs and spacing. very difficult to read.
    duly noted hahahahah.....I when I get into a rant I typically am like this heheh....

Teach her a lesson by telling her off. She is using her age as an excuse and she think people owes her a living.
    She ought to behave herself before people show her the respect.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    duly noted hahahahah.....I when I get into a rant I typically am like this heheh....
    I like that...pse continue to do so...

Yappy & happy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast