Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle With Lic Number Plate

Default Re: Bicycle With Lic Number Plate

I think imposing a license requirement for bicycles is necessary. That is because they are on the road most of the time, unlike pedestrians who just cross the roads once in a while. As such, they must be familiar with the highway code. It is very dangerous to be on the roads without knowing the code because you don't know what is the correct way to react in situations. Road users follow the code so that there is order on the roads and people know what to expect of other road users.

If you don't know the code and ride whatever way you like, then you subject yourself and others to danger...

I hate to see motorcylist on the paveway, they do that often on a one way street and to get free parking. They are taking much more spaces than bicycle and are definitely more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Cyclist cycle on the pavement, also bo pian although I am against it in the first place. But when u saw motorcyclist on pavement, u more fedup. No choice la, unless every where got TP, if not, we got to bear with it. Don't tell me that u want to take law on ur own hand is it?

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    I think imposing a license requirement for bicycles is necessary. [...]
    If you don't know the code and ride whatever way you like, then you subject yourself and others to danger...
    This is a very Singaporean suggestion as it would put more rules & regulations in place, but not solve the problem. Look at motor vehicles whose drivers are licensed: a very significant part if not the majority of drivers don't respect traffic lights or yellow boxes, don't bother to turn on lights at night or signal when turning/changing lanes, keep yakking (or worse, SMS-ing) on handphones, ignore road markings and cut lanes when turning, driving the wrong way through one-way roads/lanes, etc. They know the code, but they deliberately ignore it out of laziness, selfishness, or thoughtlessness.

What Singapore needs is less rules, but more enforcement. And not only in traffic matters, but also things like littering, hygiene (spitting), jumping queues, fraud, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    This is a very Singaporean suggestion as it would put more rules & regulations in place, but not solve the problem. Look at motor vehicles whose drivers are licensed: a very significant part if not the majority of drivers don't respect traffic lights or yellow boxes, don't bother to turn on lights at night or signal when turning/changing lanes, keep yakking (or worse, SMS-ing) on handphones, ignore road markings and cut lanes when turning, driving the wrong way through one-way roads/lanes, etc. They know the code, but they deliberately ignore it out of laziness, selfishness, or thoughtlessness.

What Singapore needs is less rules, but more enforcement. And not only in traffic matters, but also things like littering, hygiene (spitting), jumping queues, fraud, etc.
    Amen to that.
    Take a look at the jagged yellow lines too. I see people parking on them now.

Put in too many rules and regulations and people start to take them less seriously

Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    worse...they ride (WITHOUT SLOWING DOWN), zipped into the BUS STOP and everyone have to jump out of their way.!
    The worst is they ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring like the pavement belongs to his grandfather and everyone on the pavement owes him a pathway... Anyway, I'm deaf to such repeated rings anyway. I feel the general trend is that people here are losing their courtesy. Many have already forgetten the Ps and Qs.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    My first bike had a licence plate. That tells you how old I am.

The licence plate was for the bicycle, not for the rider. It simply indicated who owned the bike. You did not need a riding licence then, neither do you need one now.
    Haha... you are giving your age away...so how many winters have you gone thru????

I think imposing a license requirement for bicycles is necessary. That is because they are on the road most of the time, unlike pedestrians who just cross the roads once in a while. As such, they must be familiar with the highway code. It is very dangerous to be on the roads without knowing the code because you don't know what is the correct way to react in situations. Road users follow the code so that there is order on the roads and people know what to expect of other road users.

Put a chip into the bicycle... so that when it stolen, you can get it back.. or best GPS

It is a 'FINE' City... good of bad?

Can somebody upload a pic of the Number Plate...

I drive, walk, take the bus/MRT/NEL, and cycle..

Personally, I find cycling most shiok experience, totally powered only by ME...
    Not liable to train stoppage, expressway jam, ERP, parking coupons, empty cashcards etc..

Problem is that cycling on roads macam dicing with death..
    I almost got run over many times by bus, car, lorry, trailer and everything in between..

I would vote for a dedicated cyclist lane, but know the reality that, since bicycles dun need COE or pay road-tax, the possibility of island-wide cyclist lanes are absolutely ZERO..
    Besides if everyone goes green and cycles, our petrochemical industries how?

Actually if you watched the NDP broadcast on the telly y'day, you can see black/white vintage footage of lotsa cyclists on roads.. I can almost bet that those bikes got license plates..

Licensing people is not really putting very much more rules and regulations in place. Most of the rules and regulations are there. Licensing is to make sure that cyclists are trained to the minimum roadworthy standards and know the rules. True, skills and knowledge is the most important. Which is why there must be tests associated with licenses. It is a bit more on the enforcement side brought up by you.

People flouting rules are just people being bad. But at least, with licenses, we know that they are aware of the rules, and they know how to drive a car properly at some point in their lives. That is, they have the necessary skills. Imagine what it would be like if drivers did not need licenses.

Well, this is the situation with cyclists. They do not need licenses. They don't know the rules, and some of them can't even ride straight. But they are on the road. I fear for their lives.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 10th August 2007 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Put a chip into the bicycle... so that when it stolen, you can get it back.. or best GPS
    Yeah, now dogs must chip so bicycles also must chip and have license plates so if hit-and-run, can identify.

Quote Originally Posted by mystudio View Post
    I hate to see motorcylist on the paveway, they do that often on a one way street and to get free parking. They are taking much more spaces than bicycle and are definitely more dangerous.
    In my experience, bicycle on pavement more dangerous than motorcycle on pavement. Motorcycle on pavement normally they move very slowly (they know they are not supposed to be on the pavement) and they do lookout for pedestrians. They usually do it only when they need to park or take a shortcut. Bicycle on pavement act like the pavement belong to them and expect pedestrian to give way. Being a parent myself, I'm especially worried about children, who may change lane suddenly while walking and bicycle coming from behind/front will not be able to avoid them if they travel fast (like they usually do).

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    The worst is they ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring ring like the pavement belongs to his grandfather and everyone on the pavement owes him a pathway... Anyway, I'm deaf to such repeated rings anyway. I feel the general trend is that people here are losing their courtesy. Many have already forgetten the Ps and Qs.

same here...i just walked sideway, swaying left to right and hopefully when he keep siaming me, he falls off his bike..

Quote Originally Posted by mystudio View Post
    you must be a non motorcyclist
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

People flouting rules are just people being bad. But at least, with licenses, we know that they are aware of the rules, and they know how to drive a car properly at some point in their lives.
    Does it make the roads safer if you *know* that people deliberately ignore the rules, instead of just not being aware of them? And you can't tell me that unlicensed bicyclists are as naive as not to know the meaning of a red traffic light either. I would also find it hard to believe that some basic traffic safety education isn't part of the primary/secondary school curriculum.

The fundamental problem is that large parts of this society are utterly selfish, inconsiderate, and don't have any sense of civic responsibility - in my view a case of decadence/"spoilt brat syndrome".

A democratic society requires its members to support democratically legitimised rules, even if you personally don't agree with every detail. If this willingness to compromise and self-restrain is not there, it degrades into anarchy - until someone pulls the emergency brake, and you end up with a autocratic state or, worse, dictatorship. When citizens here recite the pledge, do they actually understand what they're saying? It's not "to happily die for the country", or "to hang a flag out of the window in August", but "to build a democratic society", and this begins by respecting and, if needed, speaking out for and enforcing democratic rule. (Whis is the opposite of the typical "not by business" mentality here).

They don't know the rules, and some of them can't even ride straight. But they are on the road. I fear for their lives.
    I am confident that the average unlicensed cyclist knows the applicable rules to a comparable extent as the average licensed motorist. Most safety relevant rules (e.g. turning on lights at night) are little else but common sense anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    currently, cyclists are taking the laws into their own hands, like, eg. riding against the flow of traffic, riding across pedestrains crossings, etc.
    U are right. I nearly met with an accident when a rider, went against the flow of traffic, use the footpath and he claimed that I was wrong.

I just ignore him and move on. No point arguing wiht him.

Yappy and happy

hmmm, then if a little 5yr old girl rides a bicycle ? must ride on road anot ? hmmm haha
    Canon EOS "Luxury"
    [flickr]

Quote Originally Posted by StrifeYun View Post
    hmmm, then if a little 5yr old girl rides a bicycle ? must ride on road anot ? hmmm haha
    The rider is more than 60 yrs old. Sorry to say that there are rules in everything you do. When come to reasoning, rules rule.
    If the little 5 yr old girl did it, I think the parents ought to be blame. The little girl is never wrong. She is innocent.
    Are we not supposed to teach her do the thing right?

Yappy and happy

Does it make the roads safer if you *know* that people deliberately ignore the rules, instead of just not being aware of them? And you can't tell me that unlicensed bicyclists are as naive as not to know the meaning of a red traffic light either. I would also find it hard to believe that some basic traffic safety education isn't part of the primary/secondary school curriculum.

The fundamental problem is that large parts of this society are utterly selfish, inconsiderate, and don't have any sense of civic responsibility - in my view a case of decadence/"spoilt brat syndrome".

A democratic society requires its members to support democratically legitimised rules, even if you personally don't agree with every detail. If this willingness to compromise and self-restrain is not there, it degrades into anarchy - until someone pulls the emergency brake, and you end up with a autocratic state or, worse, dictatorship. When citizens here recite the pledge, do they actually understand what they're saying? It's not "to happily die for the country", or "to hang a flag out of the window in August", but "to build a democratic society", and this begins by respecting and, if needed, speaking out for and enforcing democratic rule. (Whis is the opposite of the typical "not by business" mentality here).

I am confident that the average unlicensed cyclist knows the applicable rules to a comparable extent as the average licensed motorist. Most safety relevant rules (e.g. turning on lights at night) are little else but common sense anyway.
    You are right. It is common sense. We are responsible for our lives, we are also responsible for the lives of the other.
    I once saw children taught traffic safety rules, bicycles were used. The children happily ride the bicycles in the Park. Unfortunately we can't teach everybody.
    They just got to know that they are not alone. There are so many people out there using the same road. It is about sharing. Sharing the limited resources we have!

Yappy & happy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast