Thread: taking photos on dim light

Default taking photos on dim light

Hi Guys,

May I know what technique you use to take photos if the ambient environment is not enough to satisfy the 1/focal length rule for shutter speed (aperture wide open and iso max already)?

Thanks.

Default Re: taking photos on dim light

Can any pro provide the link to learn about this focal length rules??? Many many thks.

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Hi Guys,

May I know what technique you use to take photos if the ambient environment is not enough to satisfy the 1/focal length rule for shutter speed (aperture wide open and iso max already)?

Thanks.
    Use a tripod or have something stable to support the long exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by leechungfatt View Post
    Can any pro provide the link to learn about this focal length rules??? Many many thks.
    Just google it.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Either use tripod or use flash... depending on your subject

Quote Originally Posted by fz30_user View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks.
    1) Use tripod
    2) Use flash
    3) No other real choice, unless you want to spend big money to get lens with bigger aperture which will cost a lot but not really help much in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by leechungfatt View Post
    Focal length rules are just very rough, especially with the introduction of VR/IS/SR (vibration reduction/image stabilisation/shake reduction) technologies of today. Proper shooting technique as well as making use of the surroundings around you can help add a few more stops, i.e. when your elbows are supported by a railing they would definitely be more stable than when they are not.

Shoot more, and you will know roughly YOUR capability and what to do to help with this problem. If all else fails, just take tripod lor, especially for landscapes, if you ask me the tripod not only serves purpose for giving sharp pictures, but also allows you more time to think your shot over as you previsualise it.

1. If I have a tripod, I will use the lowest ISO and use manual settings for aperture and shuttle speed.
    2. If I do not have a tripod, I will use the highest ISO possible and use the largest possible aperture, with any sturdy grounds to support as much as possible.