Thread: Blue Door - Experiment in Post-Processing

Default Blue Door - Experiment in Post-Processing

I did some Photoshop work on this photo and would like comments on the result.

In the original capture, the wall was nearly pure white and it's texture was hard to make out. I adjusted the curves to get my desired colour for the door and step, then selected the wall and adjusted the brightness/contrast (couldn't get decent effects with the curves alone) to get this result. How's the outcome? I'm wondering if the photo looks underexposed now. My monitor isn't calibrated, so results may vary.

While not the main intention of my post, comments on the composition and other relevant areas are welcome. I know it's not dead center and yes, it's a bit crooked.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Default Re: Blue Door - Experiment in Post-Processing

I like it. But for my liking, I would prefer it to be tighter.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Like Galdor said, a tigher crop .

Otherwise, move further back, do a horizontal frame, show more of the white wall, place the subject off center.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebring View Post
    While not the main intention of my post, comments on the composition and other relevant areas are welcome.
    I'm not sure how much you can do with post-processing given the subject but i think adding vignetting would help alot. But immediately upon seeing this picture, i wanna put on my 12-24mm put my camera right at the bottom of steps to take a picture facing upward. Why? Because it's a thin tall door which would be streched even further with perspective distortion, then maybe it could be labelled Tall Blue Door.

looks a lil tilted... and can clone/crop out that pipe and smudge on the wall

Thanks for all the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor
    ...I would prefer it to be tighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by dw2chan
    .. and can clone/crop out that pipe and smudge on the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy
    Otherwise, move further back, do a horizontal frame, show more of the white wall, place the subject off center.
    Tighter crop I can do, will try to do some cropping over the weekend, if not a reshoot. As for moving further back, won't be able. The door is in a small alley and I was already pressing my back against the opposite wall to get this shot. Do you think having just part of the door (maybe around the handle) and placed off-center will be any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttergraphy
    ...vignetting would help alot. But immediately upon seeing this picture, i wanna put on my 12-24mm put my camera right at the bottom of steps to take a picture facing upward. Why? Because it's a thin tall door which would be streched even further with perspective distortion, then maybe it could be labelled Tall Blue Door.
    Vignetting? Another thing to try out this weekend

I unfortunately don't own a 12-24mm lens, but if I pass that way again I'll be sure to try your suggestion with my 18-70mm.

Do you think having just part of the door (maybe around the handle) and placed off-center will be any good?
    No harm trying right? I cannot visualise, so you can always try it out.

I unfortunately don't own a 12-24mm lens, but if I pass that way again I'll be sure to try your suggestion with my 18-70mm.
    I think u can achieve something similar with your 18-70.

Keep shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    No harm trying right? I cannot visualise, so you can always try it out...No 12-24? I think u can achieve something similar with your 18-70....Keep shooting.
    Thanks again, will try one of these days.

Just about the colour. I like the blue on the door. And why white wall cannot show the details? just burn the shadow and leaving the wall white will have more impact in my opinion....clean white with light blue...rather then grey with light blue....what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Just about the colour. I like the blue on the door. And why white wall cannot show the details? just burn the shadow and leaving the wall white will have more impact in my opinion....clean white with light blue...rather then grey with light blue....what do you think?
    That's something I'll have to try as well. In the original, the white wall had almost no detail visible. Burn the shadow as in use the burn/dodge tool? Looks like more experiment in PS for me.

If I have time this weekend I'll post a few more versions of the door. That's allowed, right?
    Last edited by Celebring; 3rd August 2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Misunderstood the post replied to

i think keeping the door in the center is better. it's a very simple picture and the symmetry helps enforce that. main focus of this picture is the colour contrast.

even bringing out more detail on the wall might be distracting

imo there are 2 ways to do this shot.

a landscape or pana where you have blank walls both side with the only door
    that looks lonely but colourful,

and tighter or closeup that was already mentioned.
    rgds,
    dawson

Yah, burn tool for selective shadow burning (i.e. the wall only) If you want the entire pic to have darker shadow, u can either use Level or Curve.

And update of the same pic will be allowed in the critique corner.

That's something I'll have to try as well. In the original, the white wall had almost no detail visible. Burn the shadow as in use the burn/dodge tool? Looks like more experiment in PS for me.

If I have time this weekend I'll post a few more versions of the door. That's allowed, right?

Sorry folks, no time over the weekend. Just a quick Photoshop job, tighter crop, burned the shadows on the wall. Any better?

Hi, somehow personally I like to see the floor...it has nice texture. But its just my personal preference....may not be good "traditionally".

Sorry folks, no time over the weekend. Just a quick Photoshop job, tighter crop, burned the shadows on the wall. Any better?

Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Hi, somehow personally I like to see the floor...it has nice texture. But its just my personal preference....may not be good "traditionally".
    Just trying out a tighter crop, but maybe too tight this time.

Btw, what do you think of the burning? Seems to have a similar effect as adjusting brightness/contrast of the wall.

If you display the 1st and 2nd pic side by side, you will see that the first pic has grey wall while the 2nd pic has with all....so it is not the same. If you burnt more of the shadow of the cracklines, it will eventually be as obvious as the 1st pic while keeping the whiteness of the wall...

But as the others mentioned, some may prefer not to see the crack lines...while I like it. I find that this pics has a few nice textures (wall cracklines, floor, "doormat" mossiac and the door painting mark) and nice light colours (white, green and blue). Thats how I like it personally.

"]

Btw, what do you think of the burning? Seems to have a similar effect as adjusting brightness/contrast of the wall.