Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast

Thread: SBS Transit, SMRT ask to raise bus and train fares

Default Re: SBS Transit, SMRT ask to raise bus and train fares

Unreasonable + Bo bian....

Really jia lat nowadays to see so many things go up and higher.

With the increase of this and that, perhaps more people will turn to the "weekends hope" (4D) for help

I am really unhappy with the roof leaking and the spoilt seats in some of the buses. If we pay more and more for the same service, I feel that it is not the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    That's seem to be the view of the rich/elite group of people
    Too bad most of us are not rich and have to even buy 2nd hand stuff to save money, and even more poorer people out there where 10-20 cents saving mean they have money to feed their young
    The poor need all our help. Please, give to charity, don't complain when taxes go up, they are meant to help the lower wage earners. If you are indulging in photography, you can afford a few cents of transport fare increase. Rather than the g-ment subsidising transport completely, in which case all will benefit from the subsidy, whether they need it or not. Far better for a efficient self-sustaining system to be run, so that the g-ment can focus on giving to those for which it really matters. Thank you for thinking about the poor, please give generously to charity and support the g-ment's social policies. Pay your fares so that the g-ment can target subsidies where they matter.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    2. Until you show detailed figures of yoru comparison, I can easily say that it is not true or proven that it is that affordable based on countries of equilvalent economic development.
    Have done so in previous posts, don't care to repeat myself. Where's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Do you realise most of the people who actually do write well-argued and reasoned complaints which are read by many people tend to be the more educated folks and the richer folks? Your average poor person does not often get his views heard. Do you also realise some are writing complaints for the sake of others who may not be articulate or educated enough to write well reasoned arguments?
    If folk were writing from the perspectuve of helping the poor, I am ALL in favour. The problem is, it is the stingy middle-class s'porean, indulging in PHOTOGRAPHY, which in my younger days, was a too expensive to even countenance and a sure sign of prosperity, complaining about a few cents hike in transport fares, which BUGS me. IMO, if you demand a subsidy for yourself which you do not really need, and in the process reduce the space for the g-ment to target help to the REAL poor, then you are STEALING form the poor. Some people here hijack the problems of the poor as a smokescreen for their own agenda, because they are too stingy, despite having enough disposable income to indulge in a nice hobby, to pay a few cents increase in bus fare. That's what IRKS me.

I fully support social policies for the poor. If you subsidise across the board, all will benefit, rich or poor, except that the effect is diluted for the poor. The better way is to price services at their true value, so that those who can afford will pay the full value (that's you and me, by the way), and the g-ment can truly focus the subsidies in the way that is meaningful for the low-income.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    The poor need all our help. Please, give to charity, don't complain when taxes go up, they are meant to help the lower wage earners. If you are indulging in photography, you can afford a few cents of transport fare increase. Rather than the g-ment subsidising transport completely, in which case all will benefit from the subsidy, whether they need it or not. Far better for a efficient self-sustaining system to be run, so that the g-ment can focus on giving to those for which it really matters. Thank you for thinking about the poor, please give generously to charity and support the g-ment's social policies. Pay your fares so that the g-ment can target subsidies where they matter.
    In which way that you think we have not donate to the charity? In which way do you know that we didn't help the poor? Don't argue just for argue sake....

We are feedback and discuss on how to improve the system....
    wait why your tone sound like the govn....
    It make me really suspect all "those rumours" on the internet are true
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

The poor need all our help. Please, give to charity, don't complain when taxes go up, they are meant to help the lower wage earners. .......
    Are you sure the increase of taxes is to help the lower wage earners?
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Is it known if some of the COE is transferred into the public transport in Singapore? I think this is one way of helping those who can't own a car and yet need the transport. Those who drive a car do use an expensive way to move around especially in a city state like Singapore where it is easy to roam around in taxis and buses/MRT.....

HS

In which way that you think we have not donate to the charity? In which way do you know that we didn't help the poor? Don't argue just for argue sake....

We are feedback and discuss on how to improve the system....
    wait why your tone sound like the govn....
    It make me really suspect all "those rumours" on the internet are true
    If that's where you are coming from, that's fine, but don't presume to speak to the rest of the posters.

As for my origin, you are not the first to use that tactic; "if you can't argue the point, attack the individual". Believe what you will, I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Are you sure the increase of taxes is to help the lower wage earners?
    That's what they claim, which I stil don't see the rationale of it.

The GST relief package come for a few years only, then new increment in GST again in a few years time, however the GST relief package only will be there for a few years only and doesn't increase proportionally. The poor are unfortunately need to help themselves out. While the middle income keep feeling the squeeze, while the higher income/elite won't feel as much pinch.

Get back to the tropic, the raise in the public transport fees will hit the poor people most.... that's is no denial about it.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

That's what they claim, which I stil don't see the rationale of it.

The GST relief package come for a few years only, then new increment in GST again in a few years time, however the GST relief package only will be there for a few years only and doesn't increase proportionally. The poor are unfortunately need to help themselves out. While the middle income keep feeling the squeeze, while the higher income/elite won't feel as much pinch.

Get back to the tropic, the raise in the public transport fees will hit the poor people most.... that's is no denial about it.
    Not only the poor but also those in the lower middle income group. With wage stagnant and everything increasing, soon those will fall into the poor group.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

so what has the govt done to subsidy the poor?
    i think i saw the poor taking n paying the same bus fare,
    they pay the same value of the HDB flat,
    they pay utilities and maintainance,
    they pay hospital bill when they ill,
    they pay everything the same rate like many,

they were given GST package with value base on the size of flat they're living in,
    but some rich also living in those similar flat and they drive merc.

so what has been done to the poor har?
    Taoism 你知[道]吗?http://yeobt.multiply.com
    Read With An Open Mind And Surely You Will Be Benefited.

should " public transport " be privatised and public listed in the first place ? any views ?
    Last edited by raincool2005; 3rd August 2007 at 10:44 AM.

You have very interesting views indeed. Perhaps there are members here who do not own a DSLR or even an SLR in this community called "Clubsnap."

Since you are good at analyzing, can you then comprehend the root cause of hiking bus fares since the announced profit well exceeds many large corporates? Don't give me the rational that its due to raising salary and fuel prices. Given that they are GIC and monopolies, they have big buying power and cost cutting efforts can be alot more creative. Adjusting schedules and outsourcing are just a few simple moves without cutting corners. SMEs, on the other hand, are strapped with higher operating costs and they get trapped for the simple fact that they do not have buying power.

Hence, the focus here is on transport fares and not whinning photographers with a camera hung on their necks. For eg, you dont screw a branded school kid who participates in debates about social woes during a debate session. His dad may have a spare BMW 740l sending him to school, yet he can rake how poor the poor gets when they are down to a few coins a day deciding whether to take a bus or buy a loaf of bread for his family. He shouts about the unfairness of society and how people should reach out to the poor.

Social issues are best viewed with a heart.

If folk were writing from the perspectuve of helping the poor, I am ALL in favour. The problem is, it is the stingy middle-class s'porean, indulging in PHOTOGRAPHY, which in my younger days, was a too expensive to even countenance and a sure sign of prosperity, complaining about a few cents hike in transport fares, which BUGS me. IMO, if you demand a subsidy for yourself which you do not really need, and in the process reduce the space for the g-ment to target help to the REAL poor, then you are STEALING form the poor. Some people here hijack the problems of the poor as a smokescreen for their own agenda, because they are too stingy, despite having enough disposable income to indulge in a nice hobby, to pay a few cents increase in bus fare. That's what IRKS me.

I fully support social policies for the poor. If you subsidise across the board, all will benefit, rich or poor, except that the effect is diluted for the poor. The better way is to price services at their true value, so that those who can afford will pay the full value (that's you and me, by the way), and the g-ment can truly focus the subsidies in the way that is meaningful for the low-income.
    Last edited by contaxable; 3rd August 2007 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    should " public transport " be privatised and public listed in the first place ? any views ?
    Err.. I'm buying into SMRT stocks, this one sure make more money....

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    do not buy now..

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    do not buy now..
    But but....why? The financial report indicate that their profits for the last quarter has improved again. More and more profit for this company, especially with the almost "imminent "increase in fare, it should be a must buy....

But but....why? The financial report indicate that their profits for the last quarter has improved again. More and more profit for this company, especially with the almost "imminent "increase in fare, it should be a must buy....
    wait around Aug-Sept, not now.

Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    but these company belongs to the gov partly...complain also prices going up...look at NETS...CASE also step in...but prices still goes up...
    Yes...people power. If everyone complains, and get the government to open up the market, then these people have to think twice before any price increase, because the people will have a choice.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

If that's where you are coming from, that's fine, but don't presume to speak to the rest of the posters.

As for my origin, you are not the first to use that tactic; "if you can't argue the point, attack the individual". Believe what you will, I don't care.
    I agree with Ola, ZCF, Vince123123 point of view....

Most of us pay our taxes, we donate to charity, we buy expensive stuffs like camera just to pass our time as our hobbies to help us releasing stress and pressure from work and i don't see what is wrong getting expensive stuffs like camera and how often we get them?

Most of us save many months just to get the camera and lens we want, what is wrong with that? I believe a lot of us having pay freeze for the past few years but price keep increasing.

So in the end........ the one suffers is us.....

Liew.... i don't even have money to buy stocks ah..... but i need to get some socks later....

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2567891217 ... LastLast