Thread: Patterns

Default patterns

I've always been fascinated by patterns. Was walking along a walkway and took this shot.

tokina 12-24mm, 22mm, f/4, 1/20s, iso200
    Last edited by jet; 6th August 2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Update

Default Re: Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by jet View Post

I've always been fascinated by patterns. Was walking along a walkway and took this shot.
    i think generally the patterns are not obvious here, in the sense that they do not stand out enough. What I'm thinking, you go a bit lower, shoot slightly upwards and zoom in abit more.. then that should bring attention to the repeating patterns

Quote Originally Posted by jkaiser View Post
    i think generally the patterns are not obvious here, in the sense that they do not stand out enough. What I'm thinking, you go a bit lower, shoot slightly upwards and zoom in abit more.. then that should bring attention to the repeating patterns
    I concur. Shots taken at eye level often struggle for effect. It is simply too 'everyday' and ordinary to make an impact. Try either a close up or a very wide angle, perhaps tilting rather than straight up. Presumably using a wide angle Tokina? Zoom out all the way and shoot from ground level, see what happens.

Thanks for the comments.

I pictured the shot in my mind but when I took it it turned out different. I also feel that the details on the right are rather distracting. Will try a different angle and incorporate all your advice.

I can see the intention. What's lacking is in the design of the composition to make the repetitive pattern work.

1st, you've got to identify what should be in your composition and what should not be. In this case, there isn't really any reason for you to include the planting and building on the left. They will only take the viewer's attention away from the intended subject and once they glance through the photo, its just a boring shot of some construction hoarding.

Exercise care in selecting the elements you want. For abstracts, try to limit yourself to not more than 3 elements in each photo. Study the area you are photographing and experiment with different angles. To eliminate the building and planting, I suggest you to move to the left and set the white supporting structures against the hoarding. That might just read stronger.

How many elements you see in this shot?