Thread: Voltage Regulator

Lightbulb Voltage Regulator

Appealing to the collective wisdom that is Kopitiam

Does anyone know much about voltage regulation? I may be posted to a 3rd world country for >6 months and based on my research, the electric supply there may be a rather volatile.

I intend to bring my personal laptop and also my camera gear (dSLR + tripod + some lenses) but I'm afraid of that they will get fried during surges. Repair for these 2 key items is not an option even though my items are all under warranty (it's somewhere really ulu).

I know that a UPS will help alot and they are not expensive. But it is likely that my luggage limits will not be enough to cover the weight of a UPS.

Any suggestions? I hear that there are power strips with built-in protection... Are those effective? I'm willing to invest in a better quality one if such an option exists.

Default Re: Voltage Regulator

buy this... quite light...

Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Which 3rd world country ... not all of them are equal.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

@Del_CtrlnoAlt: That looks promising! Do you know if it's available retail, e.g. in SimLim perhaps?

@Deadpoet: Will it be enough to say that it is a South Asian country? For personal reasons, I'm not terribly comfortable with revealing the exact location...

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    @Del_CtrlnoAlt: That looks promising! Do you know if it's available retail, e.g. in SimLim perhaps?

@Deadpoet: Will it be enough to say that it is a South Asian country? For personal reasons, I'm not terribly comfortable with revealing the exact location...
    ya... can get in sim lim, i bought a few before... about 100+
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

@Del_CtrlnoAlt:

That's great news. Wanted to PM you for more details, but I figured it's not a bad idea to share the info here in Kopitiam.

Did you buy them from Sim Lim Tower (as opposed to Sim Lim Square)? I remember Sim Lim Tower is better for electronics stuff. Any shops names for reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    ya... can get in sim lim, i bought a few before... about 100+

sim lim square.

most shops have.

Thanks for the tips. Will check out SLS this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    sim lim square.

most shops have.

Hi,

That looks like it would be a usefull product to use.

May I suggest also investing in a small/cheap voltage spike protector as well ?

I know that that one does it anyway, but, it might be usefull to have a sacrificial one in front of it

If you know what I mean
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Hi Pablo,
    I'm interested to hear more about "a small/cheap voltage spike protector". The more options, the better!

I'm quite the electronic-idiot, so pardon me if I sound like stupid. Is this what you're referring to?

That is from APC (thanks to the tip-off Del_CtrlnoAlt, I've been checking out their website). Can I find similar alternatives at the neighbourhood hardware store?

Personally I suppose the power surge protector recommended by Del_CtrlnoAlt would be a better choice. You'll probably need to bring more of those surge protector plugs compared to the recommended power strip, just a thought.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

I'm leaning towards that as well, but just keeping my options open since I'm such a newb at stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Personally I suppose the power surge protector recommended by Del_CtrlnoAlt would be a better choice. You'll probably need to bring more of those surge protector plugs compared to the recommended power strip, just a thought.

you know what .... can't help ...

this is a big world ... no one knows who you are ... no one is about to find you out there wherever you are.

this is paranoia to the max!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

@Del_CtrlnoAlt:

That's great news. Wanted to PM you for more details, but I figured it's not a bad idea to share the info here in Kopitiam.

Did you buy them from Sim Lim Tower (as opposed to Sim Lim Square)? I remember Sim Lim Tower is better for electronics stuff. Any shops names for reference?
    I find that Sim Lim Tower sells stuff much cheaper than Sim Lim Square.

Quote Originally Posted by syl View Post
    I find that Sim Lim Tower sells stuff much cheaper than Sim Lim Square.
    1 inside CBD, 1 outside CBD, u think leh?

besides that, this 1, so far i only see around SLS, cos SLS sell more into IT items, this 1 is more for computer stuff, SLT is more into electrical/electronics, you can find a surge protector, UPS, but normally for different function. and well, sometimes even if you can find, they might chop your carrot in either places...