Thread: SLR APS size lens

Default SLR APS size lens

Just curious how many out there have invested in APS size lens. With talk of newer DSLR coming out with full frame wouldn't APS size lens be made redundent.

Blog Entries

Default Re: SLR APS size lens

you talking about Sony/Nikon

you can always crop or the cam can detect and auto crop like the high speed crop mode in the D2X

I don't have any 3rd party cropped lenses but I do have 2 EF-S lenses, which actually makes the problem worse since they physically won't fit on non-1.6x Canon cameras. Furthermore i eventually plan to upgrade to a FF digital body. But as I see it, I don't think I have wasted my $$$ because:

1. I've enjoyed the use of these lenses and am continuing to until i finally upgrade, whenever that is. I think it's stupid to deprive yourself just to wait for some distant eventuality. Shoot now, worry later.
    2. Even after I upgrade, i still intend to keep my cropped-body. With the way the prices of digital bodies tumble, it isn't worth it to sell. Furthermore I always work with 2 bodies when shooting events, so I'll still need it (which is why i still have my old 300D).

Of course, this is just my personal feelings on the matter and there WILL be people out there that think i'm nuts. Who cares as long as I'm happy right?

I don't think I can afford full frame sensor DSLR in short coming time, so I will still be using APS size lens for the time being.

I also, don't foresee I will be bring heavy full frame lens and body to go for travel when APS-C sensor is lighter and costly in term of lost.

In future, probably will keep 1 APS and 1 close to Full Frame DSLR? Or 1 Full Frame camera with APS crop selection camera would be good
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Read this aricle.

http://photo.net/oped/bobatkins/full_frame.html

Quite interesting.

I still hold my old Canon EOS lenses and looking for the day when a 5D is available at S$1500. I presume the day is not very far.

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    Just curious how many out there have invested in APS size lens. With talk of newer DSLR coming out with full frame wouldn't APS size lens be made redundent.
    I don't think with full-frame that APS-C tailored lenses will be redundant at all.

Consider the costs of buying a full-frame system - firstly, the camera body (at this present time) will cost a bomb. Secondly, you must remember that the full-frame sensor can detect flaws VERY easily especially at the corners which our APS-C sized sensors have cut off. This means you have to buy very expensive, high-end lenses (ie L lenses / EX series lenses) to be able to achieve the same quality that perhaps a "slightly more than consumer-grade" lens would produce on an APS-C sized sensor.

If you're REALLY serious about photography, do photography professionally or simply damned rich, I don't see a reason why, at this point anyone should even consider buying a full-frame camera at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mysum View Post
    If you're REALLY serious about photography, do photography professionally or simply damned rich, I don't see a reason why, at this point anyone should even consider buying a full-frame camera at all.
    Relatively awesome high-ISO performance and the potential of better dynamic range?

Consider the costs of buying a full-frame system - firstly, the camera body (at this present time) will cost a bomb. Secondly, you must remember that the full-frame sensor can detect flaws VERY easily especially at the corners which our APS-C sized sensors have cut off. This means you have to buy very expensive, high-end lenses (ie L lenses / EX series lenses) to be able to achieve the same quality that perhaps a "slightly more than consumer-grade" lens would produce on an APS-C sized sensor.
    I think u misunderstand the characteristics of the FF camera. It definitely won't make the quality of your "expensive, high-end lens" become only "slightly more than consumer-grade lens". You will experience more vignetting, maybe more distortion and possibly more corner softness (which you do get with APS sized lenses anyway) but things like center sharpness, colour, contrast, flare resistance, fringing resistance won't get worse (they may actually get better since the sensor doesn't have to squeeze out more pixels from smaller area of glass). Furthermore, what about fisheye lenses (don't count the tokina APS sized one), tilt-shift lenses, etc? You will only experience their full effect on a FF camera.

Don't be too quick to dismiss FF as a rich-man's toy, there are real advantages to be had.

I think the main advantage of full frame is no more len multiplier. Consider that most DSLR have a crop factor of 1.5. A 28mm would be come a 42mm. For a FF all our FF lens will no longer have the multiplier.

and, the viewfinder is just so much larger, making it so much easier to compose!

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24 View Post
    With the talk and rumors of FF ( N camp ) i have to admit i am more conscious of not getting DX lenses and to get the comparable FF lenses. It might be a long wait but i can always work with some other lens.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you talking about Sony/Nikon

you can always crop or the cam can detect and auto crop like the high speed crop mode in the D2X
    but these are still rumors... besides we don't know for sure that there will be a hi speed crop mode (in the case of sony) / that the crop mode is in the size of an aps-c... how long before you go nuts if you have to crop every shot you took....still better to go for FF lenses imo, saves you loads of trouble....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    but these are still rumors... besides we don't know for sure that there will be a hi speed crop mode (in the case of sony) / that the crop mode is in the size of an aps-c... how long before you go nuts if you have to crop every shot you took....still better to go for FF lenses imo, saves you loads of trouble....
    the cropped size is the same and can do a batch process to auto crop for you.
    but i think eventually the price point will come down and FF cameras will become
    affordable.

but until then ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    the cropped size is the same and can do a batch process to auto crop for you.
    but i think eventually the price point will come down and FF cameras will become
    affordable.

but until then ... ...
    ya lor, shoot with whatever we have now and be merry, for some, prefer to wait, maybe waiting is more fun than shooting, and cost less also..
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by CPA Jahir View Post
    Read this aricle.

http://photo.net/oped/bobatkins/full_frame.html

Quite interesting.

I still hold my old Canon EOS lenses and looking for the day when a 5D is available at S$1500. I presume the day is not very far.
    when is that article dated?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

FF doesn't cost a bomb now. 5D is selling 3k+ in HK. Which is about the price most of us pay for D100(N) or D60(C) back then.