Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

  1. #21
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    True, but I remember one comment was that their photographers were very very young. =D
    maybe some of them are from here.....
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  2. #22

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    maybe some of them are from here.....
    ...Don't scare me la, skally is go there for free?

  3. #23
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ...Don't scare me la, skally is go there for free?
    no lah, got collect salary one, but I'm sure the sale persons are on commission one, so they can spend hours talking to persuade people buying their packages.

    one of my customers told me that they don't even interested to sell him enlargement prints and others orders, just keep asking him to sign up package on the spot.. sound fishy isn't it?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #24

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Yeah, and then they ONLY offer one type of album, their kind. In different sizes. Layout can vary lor, but then I mean, not everyone wants the type of paper/material they use what. Even though it may look good.

    Very hard sell, from what I hear; it's like sign up or lose your chance to be part of our organisation forever! And once you're out of that door, we do invited-shoots only! <3 <3 <3 And I'm not too sure about the pricing, never done prints/shoots before but it did sound like it was on the high side, but like I said, I'm not sure so can't comment.

  5. #25
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    invited shoot only......

    cos once you know it, sure you will not want to come back again..
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #26

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    invited shoot only......

    cos once you know it, sure you will not want to come back again..


    Why your site only have infrared landscapes, I know you shoot colour landscapes quite swee also lor.

  7. #27
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post


    Why your site only have infrared landscapes, I know you shoot colour landscapes quite swee also lor.
    customers need come 1st. too busy to upload my works, and no time to shoot for my own also.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #28

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    customers need come 1st. too busy to upload my works, and no time to shoot for my own also.
    Hrmph, your first site profiles not all updated yet right.

    =( I hope I get enough time to shoot when I start work.. Which is nowhere near, but well, in a way too near.

  9. #29

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    FYI, I have lots of customers complaint about this type of business strategy, and they swear will not go back there again. Some of them bought their so call life long packages, paying so much yet in the end didn't go back and take the shots again, cos all the shots are so so only.
    The way retail photography worked is very different from commercial photography. While commercial photography worked with a few hours of shoot, taken hundreds of shot and choose only a few for advertising purposes, retail photography is not. Retail photography worked with a shorter shoot period but still taking hundreds of shot or multiple poses so as to create as many different pictures as possible in order to sell more.

    The shots can only be so so as considering the pricing that customers pay. How can commercial rate pictures be the same as retail rate pictures? How can model pictures in magazine be compared with people on the street pictures? The type of setup, investments and target customer group are completely different.

    These complaints about their business strategy are well known. Yet, it is still surprising to see them making profits. Some of our clubsnap members are/were people working for these companies also (I had seen some of them posting here, asking for services.) and they are probably reading what we are posting here.....ha ha.
    Last edited by Yezrah; 29th July 2007 at 10:43 AM.

  10. #30
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah View Post
    The way retail photography worked is very different from commercial photography. While commercial photography worked with a few hours of shoot, taken hundreds of shot and choose only a few for advertising purposes, retail photography is not. Retail photography worked with a shorter shoot period but still taking hundreds of shot or multiple poses so as to create as many different pictures as possible in order to sell more.

    The shots can only be so so as considering the pricing that customers pay. How can commercial rate pictures be the same as retail rate pictures? How can model pictures in magazine be compared with people on the street pictures? The type of setup, investments and target customer group are completely different.


    These complaints about their business strategy are well known. Yet, it is still surprising to see them making profits. Some of our clubsnap members are/were people working for these companies also (I had seen some of them posting here, asking for services.) and they are probably reading what we are posting here.....ha ha.
    I'm not sure what's you reply has to do about my opinion to the quality their photos? any portraits studio cater photography service for people from all walks of life, this does not mean the photographer can't produce nice photos from the customer cause there are not models.

    so in this case, can the photographers tell the customers this way if the photo turn out not nice?? "I can't produce nice photos for you cause you only pay very little and your face suck!"


    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    FYI, I have lots of customers complaint about this type of business strategy, and they swear will not go back there again. Some of them bought their so call life long packages, paying so much yet in the end didn't go back and take the shots again, cos all the shots are so so only.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #31

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Yes just got a call from them. One of the first lucky 300 customers... Told them 'not interested'.

  12. #32

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    I'm not sure what's you reply has to do about my opinion to the quality their photos? any portraits studio cater photography service for people from all walks of life, this does not mean the photographer can't produce nice photos from the customer cause there are not models.

    so in this case, can the photographers tell the customers this way if the photo turn out not nice?? "I can't produce nice photos for you cause you only pay very little and your face suck!"
    Nope, I don't mean photographer can't produce nice photos for people on the street. But I do mean so long there is one factor that is missing from creating a good photo, quality will be affected. In retail photography, many of these factors are missing. These factors are not missed unknowingly but deliberately for the simple fact that a business has to survive.

    There are many pro or non-pro photographers out there who think that our arguments here are senseless. I share their thoughts. But oh well, let me find something interesting to shoot and I probably write lesser.

  13. #33

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Yezrah has a point.. of course, you don't need models to produce nice photos. But when you go into a portrait or lifestyle studio and demand your pictures to look like a high fashion ad campaign - it's pretty unrealistic.

  14. #34
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: $$$$ so ez to 'earn' meh ? .....NBN, SNAPZ ....TPG ???

    Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah View Post
    Nope, I don't mean photographer can't produce nice photos for people on the street. But I do mean so long there is one factor that is missing from creating a good photo, quality will be affected. In retail photography, many of these factors are missing. These factors are not missed unknowingly but deliberately for the simple fact that a business has to survive.

    There are many pro or non-pro photographers out there who think that our arguments here are senseless. I share their thoughts. But oh well, let me find something interesting to shoot and I probably write lesser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic View Post
    Yezrah has a point.. of course, you don't need models to produce nice photos. But when you go into a portrait or lifestyle studio and demand your pictures to look like a high fashion ad campaign - it's pretty unrealistic.
    these are two different issues, and two different market segment.

    put in a simple word, you can't compare an apple to an orange.

    my comment about the pictures quality of these hardsell studios are compare to other portraits studios which I know of and I have seen their works, either their prints in the labs or framing workshop, these photos which I saw are their daily work of normal customers, not specially chosen to be display on web site kind of stuff.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •