Thread: Help needed

Default Help needed

Hi guys i need some help here. i m a new bird to this DSLR line. i buy the D80 last wk. Don;t ask me hw much it cost . I just went to this shop at sim lim square to buy t tripod and the dry box which cost me total $78 for both. Then the salesman ask me some q abt the photography.

Ask me whther i m working or student. Cos it is a expensive hobby, nt cheap to keep. Then the salesman popped another question to me. What sort of photographs i wana to take. Do i have a filter lens to protect my lenses. And if filter is needed, what is the prefered type to get for the D80kit lenese, the 18-135 f3.5-5.6G lens ?

I hear of my friend that, is best to buy a filter lens to protect it from scatach. And do we just take photos just liek that, no need to attached anything to the lenses. What i hear from the salesman is that, if we just take photograph just like that, it will spoil the camera very soon.

What other equipment do we need to protect the D80 camera. I have myself a cleaning kit and a dry box and a newly purchased tripod.

Now i m very broke liao, surving on water and bread to earn the money back. True, once you buy it, don;t ever loook back

Thanks

Default Re: Help needed

Hi,

I just started out not too long ago also. I feel that I will spent a lot of $$ but when I think of the fun and satisfaction i get out of it you will feel that you want more from your camera. One example is the recent indoor shot I tried recently and I realised that I really need better equipments. Living on kit lens do have its limitations.

I use UV filter to protect my lens all the time, some filters can produce better effects on certain occasion. You should find out more by and experimenting with it.

Just a few personal opinion , I cant help you much coz I am also a newbie haha

Hi

Thanks
    seems that UV filter is very important. So must we attached the UV lens on the lenses it self ? And even taking picture with it ?

If UV filter is a must to get it. What will be the reasonably price to get one and protect it ? And hw do we install it ? Is it using the lens Hood which is provided ?

thks

Hi,

So must we attached the UV lens on the lenses it self ? And even taking picture with it ?
    For me yes I do that,but there are some thread that has these views:
    Good lens with filter spoil image
    Lousy lens with filter waste $$

I got an CPL to play around with it, you can try it out I think it should be quite fun.

If UV filter is a must to get it. What will be the reasonably price to get one and protect it ? And hw do we install it ? Is it using the lens Hood which is provided ?

I got my CPL for $30 at CP so I guess it should be around $20-30 for a lousy one. You can just screw it on the lens. As for the hood, according to my friend, he says that kit lens no point put hood. And I think it is quite true. But I havent got a chance to use a hood as my kit lens doesnt comes with one.

I am using 350D btw , I got it 2nd hand here.

These are my opinion and I think there are probably better ones around here.

Member/Tangshooter

What kind of person do u consider urself to be?
    A. A very very careful person
    B. A very very careless person
    C. A normal person

If ur answer is A, then u will need a filter
    If ur answer is B, then u definitely need a filter
    If ur answer is C, then u might want to consider a filter

UV filter is just a protection to ur front element of ur lens against scratches due to cleaning, accidental knocks, etc...other then that not much purpose..besides that if u get poor quality filters it might affect ur image, like flaring..

My advise is shoot first..when u have a more comfortable budget then u consider the filters..but do take care of ur lens..careful use and fitting the lens hood are part of good practise.
    Last edited by blazer_workz; 27th July 2007 at 10:43 PM.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

I think it depends... Most of the time, the filters, especially the cheap ones, can make your image a softer. Further, you lose about 1/3rd stop of light as well... Further, there are occasions where I find that if I leave the filter on, there is slight backfocsing.

Blog Entries

i have removed all my filters from all my lenses

i belong to the "why put a lousy piece of glass in front of your good lens"
    and i only use the hood when it is needed

and are you that clumsy, if you are then
    the filter would not be enough to protect your lens in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence T View Post
    Hi

Thanks
    seems that UV filter is very important. So must we attached the UV lens on the lenses it self ? And even taking picture with it ?

thks
    If you want to get one to protect the front element in case of debris, salt, etc.. then you better get the best you can afford as it is a piece which will affect the light transmission to the sensor. If you get a poor quality one, might as well not use one...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Nt sure will this thread be appropriate to show the pictures that i have taken.

first time bringing my camera to NDP preview to take the photograhps,, Virgin trip

i did not use any filter at all, just busying capturing. But i feel that, wat i take out of ard 60 plus, less then 10 can be displayed. hai .. pls give some comments, pls,

http://ahcheng.blogs.friendster.com/photos/new_camera/

This has little to do with whether that extra piece of glass is there. I am no expert here, so I can't really comment. Perhaps it is something to do with the composition? Or exposure techniques? Where do you think that the pictures cannot be displayed? And perhaps improve from there?

Get the nikon NC filter.