Thread: Printing a 3m x 4m Wall Picture, Need Advice

Default Printing a 3m x 4m Wall Picture, Need Advice

Hi, I'm intending to print a 3m x 4m picture for a wall.

It's black and white so a bit of grain is okay.

How many megapixel camera do I need to use in order to print such a size? Do I need a medium format? Or can a 10 megapixel camera do the job?

If lets say, I use a 10 megapixel camera, is there ways to print it to 3m x 4m size? Because I can't get my hands on a medium format camera.

Please offer your advice. Thanks!

Default Re: Printing a 3m x 4m Wall Picture, Need Advice

You got lots of money?

if u can find a shop that offer that service than good for u
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

wah...so frking rich are bro...no wonder everytime no time for us....hais....eh...abit dun link hor.... .. .wadeva

spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam
    spam Spam Spam Spam

Quote Originally Posted by sugary88 View Post

How many megapixel camera do I need to use in order to print such a size? Do I need a medium format? Or can a 10 megapixel camera do the job?

If lets say, I use a 10 megapixel camera, is there ways to print it to 3m x 4m size? Because I can't get my hands on a medium format camera.

Requirements
    - What's the resolution u need? Viewing distance?
    - What's the material u wanna print on? Photo paper with lamination?
    - Do you accept panelling?
    - What's your budget?

Solution
    Option 1
    - With a 10 Megapixel camera, raw converted up to 36 bit RGB color space picture file printed on Durst Lambda (@400 ppi = approx 4000DPI) with auto panelling and auto interpolation via its superb software. Viewing distance, less than 1m

Option 2
    - With a 12 or greater megapixel large sensor DSLR or Medium format digital back (>16 megapixel) printed on best inkjet printers (eg EPSON Stylus Pro 9800 or Canon IPF 9000). Resolution of at least 2880 DPI will also allow a viewing distance less than 1m also.

Hope this will help u

Hi there, I will agree with buckteeth on the questions to be answered. However, I think that the source pix is still essential to the sharpness and clarity of the prints.
    Personally I do not think that digital photography, at current technology, will be able to achieve prints of acceptable resolution of that size, thou I will agree that they have made vast improvements in recent years.
    I'm in the business of large format digital printing and i think that your only acceptable solution will be to shoot on MF or 6 x 7 trans, scan it and reproduce it to your required size.
    Lamda prints- max width to print to in Sing is 54" so therefore you will have 3 tiles, meaning 3 pcs (2 joint)
    Inkjet prints- max width printable is 59" which means you will only have 2 tiles with 1 joint
    Outdoor solvent prints- this has the lowest resolution in terms of dpi for prints, the only consolation is that you are able to print 1 single pc at 3m W on PVC banner material
    Hope my experiences helps

Hi sugary88,
    Are you intending to shoot something in particular and have it printed to that size? If so, I might be able to help. I make commercial medium format pictures and provide printing servieces as well. my rates are reasonable do email me at graytone@gmail.com

i think the mamiya 22mp camera which cost us 13k should suit ur need!
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

Quote Originally Posted by sugary88 View Post

A 10mp cam is more then enough if the amount of info in the pixel is enough. pixel count is nothing compared to pixel quality. u can have a 12mp sensor which captures little detail in each pixel but when u blow it up....as compared to one of a lower pixel count but each pixel is able to capture loads of detail. anyway, do bear in mind that with a pic that size, there is a minimum viewing distance. upclose view wld render what many would probably term as rubbish/lousy/CMI kind of quality. The picture wasn't made for upclose viewing anyway, also I don't think u would view it that close.

Do a search on how u can expand/enlarge view picture to tt size. have a bit of patience as it wld take time and effort to slowly obtain the o/p u desire. have fun and enjoy the fruits of ur labour

ps: do a search @ sportshooter.com.. IIRC, there's a billboard in the states, an advert for Nike which was obtained from a Canon 1D, which is a 4mp body

Thanks for all the great advice so far!

Really appreciate all the kind help. CS is great!