Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about maintaining a Metz Dryfit battery

Default Re: Question about maintaining a Metz Dryfit battery

oh whooops!

didnt read properly that night.. stay up too late.. :P
    didnt realize this battery is a SLA batt not a lithium batt.

hope no inconvenience/confusion was caused
    chezburgr i can haz?

Hahaha...no probz. How did your marketing paper go?

B, the only concern I would have with that set-up would be contact integrity if the bag moves around. But if the bag is stationary on a light-stand as you mentioned, then lesser chance of contacts coming loose. Just thinking aloud ... one possibility is to use ribbon films like those in computers and secure them to your dummy batt. At least that way it eliminates one source of danger of it coming loose at a critical moment because you don't have to solder any joints where the ribbon terminates (holder end). Dunno if this makes sense or not.

Ok, my idea is making a dummy like the size of original battery, has the contact point on top, but it is just a empty casing, so when the dummy is inside the compartment with the cover attach, wire is go thru the holes on the cover, and there is a connector to connect it to the SLA battery, so the SLA battery can replace it by simply unplug it.

I have make a DIY battery pack for my SB28, SB80DX and SB800, this is the DIY 6V SLA battery. can re use it for the Metz 60.

I also try to DIY a 9V battery pack for my Metz 45 before, but can't find a 9V SLA battery and charger, in the end I give up.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

That looks like a super job you did there B!

I was thinking more about the inside part where the wires have to end up in the dummy. I think you will be able to do a much better job hard-wiring it to two small plates with your expertise and experience!

Hmm..'torture' testing my fully charged batt now. So far fired:

about 100-120 1/1 M shots - recycling time takes about 7-7.5 sec. Got a lot of shots fired on AUTO at short distance also.

Now fired about 150 shots - recycle time 11-12 sec.

After another 20 1/1 shots (170 total), the distance scale and ISO LED at the back are not lit. Recycle time 22 sec; the LED on the batt pack is a very very low glow during recharge, then after recharge, it blinks brightly again.

After another 15 1/1 shots (185 total), it takes 26 sec to recycle.

The LED on the batt pack slowly come back to life, flicker a bit, then blink stronger and faster.

Another 10 1/1 shots (195 total), 32 sec to recycle. Batt shld be quite drained by now but the LED still blinking brightly on the batt pack. ???

Another 10 1/1 shots (205 total), 57 sec to recycle. OK, now the batt a soft, steady glow. WTH...now blinking strongly again.
    Is that good for an old batt?
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 27th July 2007 at 10:00 PM.

surely better than mine..
    oh dear, my matz batt is like gone case liao
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

OK lah. At least I dun haf to so kan chiong look for another batt just yet. Still got 45 CL as back-up anyway.

Let's hope if I'm vigilant about firing/fully charging every 3 months, it will last long long. I read of one guys batt that lasted 15 years with no problems.

In between, should I 'top-up' everytime I use?
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 27th July 2007 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    The entire set-up is 2nd hand, but in excellent condition.

Here's a pix of the batt:

http://clprodn.smugmug.com/photos/177475280-M.jpg
    Hmmm.. They probably changed supplier then. Used to be Sonnenschein who supplied them.

Guys, I found this when I was researching maintaining a Metz Batt. It talks about rejuvenating an old SLA.

It's above me at the moment, but it might be helpful to you. If you figure out how to do it, please share with us so that others may benefit as well.

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2004-06/msg01412.html

CHEERS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12