Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to look out for in getting a Tripod?

Default Re: What to look out for in getting a Tripod?

I went to CP at Peninsular today too, and there was an offer for the Manfrotto 785B. The usual price is supposed to be $170, but it's now going for $99. Considering the price, I bought it after making very sure there aren't any better deals in Funan. I think it's great for traveling if you have a fairly light setup, only pity is the ball head locking mechanism isn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Liangerism View Post
    hi,

just updating u guys.

i've went down to cathay photo at peninsula plaza to check out the tripods.
    and was recommended this model, manfrotto 725B (ball-head).
    i liked it and bought it straight away. it costs me $160 after discount.
    Great to hear that you had bought a tripod that you like.

When I was CP last week and trying to buy a tripod, the manfrotto set that the sales executive tried to sell me cost before discount was already $700+, way too deep and beyond my shallow pocket... thus, I decided to go for the cheaper option. Hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    I went to CP at Peninsular today too, and there was an offer for the Manfrotto 785B. The usual price is supposed to be $170, but it's now going for $99. Considering the price, I bought it after making very sure there aren't any better deals in Funan. I think it's great for traveling if you have a fairly light setup, only pity is the ball head locking mechanism isn't that great.
    Hi Gengh u bought @ $99 and what does it come with? including the hybrid head? can list down the whole package. I'm quite interested, given the $99 price tag

Thanks

I heard there are many light tripod with adjustable height, cost about $20
    Is it really so? I need a tripod for a canon ixus izoom.

Light tripods can go for below $20. Visit Challenger and knock yourself out. They're flimsy, tho...but I think that isn't an issue with the Ixus. Ultra light =p

Ehh...for light 'n compact tripods with some strength, I'm using a Velbon Ultra Luxi-F kit. It cost me $170 at Comex (maybe a bit higher in stores now). Fits in my pack and weighs about 1.5kg with the pan head. Most importantly, it can extend to my height and is reasonably stable for light lenses. I haven't tried it with heavier stuff, but the site rates it as a tripod that can comfortably support 2kg load.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Light tripods can go for below $20. Visit Challenger and knock yourself out.
    Err.. Challenger also sells tripod?

Hi guys..

How do u choose the height of your tripod? (after considering your camera and ballhead)

Example I am 1.8m, then what height should i get.

Do u bend ur body when using your camera or is your viewfinder close to ur eye level??

Pls advice

THks

For me, I look for one which can reach eye-level or higher without center column extended. IMO, eye-level tripods allow you to take photos with same perspective as when you are standing and higher tripods can take care of situations where ground is uneven and you still wish to take photo at eye-level.

If you wish to get an eye-level tripod, factor in your camera, ball head and battery grip (if used) height. Do note that when switched to portrait, the viewfinder will be at lower position if you are not using an L-bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    i think can use for compacts only right?? max load only 1kg, mi eyeing 190prob+486rc2 setup. anyone knows the estimated cost?

what you actually need to look out for is a sturdy tripod and a good ball head, in fact a very good one, if you've long lens.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sexalicious/
    Life starts at the speed of 240km/h

dun mind me asking a stupid question but as long as a tripod is stable, weight is enough for u to carry, head is able to rotate freely wat else must one look out for?
    Canon 400D / Rebel XTi Gripped EFS 17-85mm / 50mm f/1.8
    http://jerryyang.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySH View Post
    dun mind me asking a stupid question but as long as a tripod is stable, weight is enough for u to carry, head is able to rotate freely wat else must one look out for?
    A few other things to consider:
    1. Ball head must be able to support your heaviest setup. (think about the heaviest camera/lenses/flash you may get in future)
    2. Tripod must be able to support your ball head + your heaviest setup.
    3. Maximum height without extension of center column. Extending the center column reduces the stability of the mounted ball head and camera.
    4. Does the leg-locking mechanism releases easily for you to setup the tripod?
    5. Can the center column be placed horizontally? (if you require that ability)
    6. Type of release plate used by the ball head.
    7. Most importantly, does the price falls within your budget?

May have missed out some other stuffs...
    Last edited by Randius; 18th October 2007 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    A few other things to consider:
    1. Ball head must be able to support your heaviest setup. (think about the heaviest camera/lenses/flash you may get in future)
    2. Tripod must be able to support your ball head + your heaviest setup.
    3. Maximum height without extension of center column. Extending the center column reduces the stability of the mounted ball head and camera.
    4. Does the leg-locking mechanism releases easily for you to setup the tripod?
    5. Can the center column be placed horizontally? (if you require that ability)
    6. Type of release plate used by the ball head.
    7. Most importantly, does the price falls within your budget?

May have missed out some other stuffs...
    thanks for sharing, definitely missed out. will take into consideration on my next buy for i've got a free canon tripod bought together with my cam. =\

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySH View Post
    thanks for sharing, definitely missed out. will take into consideration on my next buy for i've got a free canon tripod bought together with my cam. =\
    free things normally dont last long. just look at those lighter and others' etc...... from beer promotions. v fast upz the car ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkchua79 View Post
    free things normally dont last long. just look at those lighter and others' etc...... from beer promotions. v fast upz the car ones.
    lol, noted. i havent used the tripod at all. up car, lol, more used to seeing up lorry~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12