Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: Is this doctored?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian View Post
    I believe it's a fake... Where's the boy shadows or the shadows is not right? That's how I see it.
    The tank is real, the boy is fake. Look at his shadow (or rather the lack of) with respect to the tank's.

  2. #42

    Default No, it's not.

    I don't understand why many can't see the boy's shadow but it's there alright. Look again and you can see the shadow profile of the other leg which is above the ground. I'd figure it's early in the morning at sunrise where the sun casts long horizontal shadows and the from where the camera is, the shadows are what you see as they are.

    The heat wave above the tanks (from the gas turbine exhaust) shows well and this is no fake here. Nothing strange with DOFs here.

    It's just an image with bad quality.
    Last edited by mohdya; 10th August 2007 at 10:38 AM.

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: No, it's not.

    i think it is a fake,
    reason
    the boy was not part of pic in the begining,
    from the looks of the pic, the shot was taken at 3pm+ or 9am+
    the light would have been strong.
    the dark area around the boy could not been there.
    it looks like a when you use paintbrush, copy and paste.
    i do have that kind of effects when i edit a pic using pantbrush.

    just a guess.
    Member of the earth

  4. #44

    Default Re: No, it's not.

    Quote Originally Posted by mohdya View Post
    I don't understand why many can't see the boy's shadow but it's there alright. Look again and you can see the shadow profile of the other leg which is above the ground. I'd figure it's early in the morning at sunrise where the sun casts long horizontal shadows and the from where the camera is, the shadows are what you see as they are.
    I think those are cracks on the ground or shadow of a pole or something like that.. Not the boy's shadow, way too thin to be the boy's shadow plus it extends all the way under the boy's lifted foot.

    On closer look, it seems like the tank is also paste on. The shadows of the machine guns on the tank is not consistent with the tank's shadow on the ground. And a;so not consistent with the shadow on the signboard in the background on the left.

    If you do a ray trace based on the available lighting information on the tank itself, the shadow of the tank's barrel should fall somewhere around where the boy is also.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 10th August 2007 at 02:25 PM.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    the pic is real lah. just badly photoshopped niah!

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    the pic is real lah. just badly photoshopped niah!
    photojournalism should not even have photoshop in the 1st place...

    maybe start an online petition for raw unedited images for journalist next time... all in 3:2 format... for u special... 4:3...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Smokey Mountain
    Posts
    453

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    photojournalism should not even have photoshop in the 1st place...

    maybe start an online petition for raw unedited images for journalist next time... all in 3:2 format... for u special... 4:3...
    agree.. maybe they want a fashionable/ glamorous look.. BTW bro. do you think journalist really need photoshop? just to add lighting drama or color drama?? i think gives it also gives impact. but is it still considered as journalism??

  8. #48
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by peanutbeer View Post
    agree.. maybe they want a fashionable/ glamorous look.. BTW bro. do you think journalist really need photoshop? just to add lighting drama or color drama?? i think gives it also gives impact. but is it still considered as journalism??
    it is still journalism if it does not alter the reality of the contents within the frame. however, it will invite questions and doubts, for which we can only based on trust or mistrust of these people.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    perhaps just a case of "Journalist with bad PS skills should not try to 'improve' their photos...?" lol

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by peanutbeer View Post
    agree.. maybe they want a fashionable/ glamorous look.. BTW bro. do you think journalist really need photoshop? just to add lighting drama or color drama?? i think gives it also gives impact. but is it still considered as journalism??
    fashion & glamour are for celebrity studio/product shoot with commercial purposes... for photojournalism, its the truth we want, its what you see is what you get... it doesn't even matter if its slightly blur, very blur, or completely blur, as long it brings out the story from the viewpoint of the photographer. totally unbiased...

    but what we normally do see is pics that the media want us to see... often distorted...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SINGAPORE
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    the boys shadow is clearly evident in the photo - if you look you will even see the shadow of his raised leg mimicked by the thin shadow to his left.

    regarding the shadow around the boy - this is partly coincidence because you can see that the bottom of the tank has soot probably from fires etc which is more visible on the right side however it does not come up as far as it does on the side of the boy where what we see could actually just be the results of this black paint damage from a fire bomb or similar " blacking" the underside. It is possible to conclude that this is coincidence and we may interpret this as a poor photoshop job.

    In my opinion the real question is whether there was the possibility of the boy being paid to throw a stone at the tank. Again you would have to go on what you honestly feel and I have to conclude that this particular journalist must have the integrity not to have done this - although this could never be ruled out.

    I would find it highly unlikely that a photo journalist with even the smallest ethical integrity would pay a boy to do something as potentially dangerous as this.

    my 5 cents worth,

    cheers,

    d

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northen part of Sing a pore
    Posts
    2,153

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    photojournalism should not even have photoshop in the 1st place...

    maybe start an online petition for raw unedited images for journalist next time... all in 3:2 format... for u special... 4:3...
    "photojournalism should not even have photoshop in the 1st place"... but they do.. most of the photojournalism photos are more realistic cos they are better PSed than the mentioned ones.

    They cant add more sensuality to the pictures if they just put up a flat photo on the web. i dont think i want to see a flat 4/3 format photojournalism pics.

  13. #53
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    "photojournalism should not even have photoshop in the 1st place"... but they do.. most of the photojournalism photos are more realistic cos they are better PSed than the mentioned ones.

    They cant add more sensuality to the pictures if they just put up a flat photo on the web. i dont think i want to see a flat 4/3 format photojournalism pics.
    how does a 4/3 or 3/2 format makes a difference to sensuality or impact?

  14. #54

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by firestone View Post
    Just for fun, what do you think? Could this be photoshopped?



    http://editorial.gettyimages.com/search/detail.aspx?axd=DetailPaging.Search|1&axs=0|513496 54,2573065,51392854&id=2573065
    We can't see the boy's face,we don't what he well be.Oh,god!
    Thank you for this picture!

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    I think it's a real photo that's badly PP-ed. Very badly PP-ed.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Sorry to reply to such an old post but this thread was linked to one of my threads in another forum.


    This photo is not fake. There is a series of these shots. I will post one of the other angles here:

    http://www.bintjbeil.com/images/slid...eishe_boys.jpg

  17. #57
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by validphoto View Post
    Sorry to reply to such an old post but this thread was linked to one of my threads in another forum.


    This photo is not fake. There is a series of these shots. I will post one of the other angles here:

    http://www.bintjbeil.com/images/slid...eishe_boys.jpg
    is that taken by another photographer?

  18. #58

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by validphoto View Post
    Sorry to reply to such an old post but this thread was linked to one of my threads in another forum.


    This photo is not fake. There is a series of these shots. I will post one of the other angles here:

    http://www.bintjbeil.com/images/slid...eishe_boys.jpg
    If he fake 1 picture, he would fake another picture also.

  19. #59
    Senior Member zoossh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,725

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by lenrek View Post
    If he fake 1 picture, he would fake another picture also.
    it is unusual of the same photographer to apply totally different approach to a series of pictures in the same set. i have seen some pictures from times and reuters posted online that is processed in slightly different crop or enhancement, often one looks original and the other slightly better than that one, and not two differently processed work, but the two in this thread smells very differently of different taste. actually i thought they may be taken by the same photographer but the processing may not be performed by him or not both by him. does the newspaper agents "edits" photos further? not sure of that. but i note that he is a stringer.

    anyway, all these are just guess work. i think some informed personnels who know better of the agents, the photographer involved and the industry can shed better light, but hopefully not otherwise to mislead us. like i say much earlier, sometimes we have to rely on the credibility and professionality of the reportage photographers. they are supposed to show both sides of the stories as witnessed by them without bias. whether personally they have their own biased belief is one thing, but that should not be brought over to their work. there had been one young american war photographer that decided to put his camera aside halfway and picked up a pistol to fire, and i think that will endanger the lives of other war photographers when such principles are compromised. likewise, photographic enhancement needs to be judicious and manipulation need to be strictly forbidden.
    Last edited by zoossh; 25th February 2009 at 12:34 PM.

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Is this doctored?

    Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    it is unusual of the same photographer to apply totally different approach to a series of pictures in the same set. i have seen some pictures from times and reuters posted online that is processed in slightly different crop or enhancement, often one looks original and the other slightly better than that one, and not two differently processed work, but the two in this thread smells very differently of different taste. actually i thought they may be taken by the same photographer but the processing may not be performed by him or not both by him. does the newspaper agents "edits" photos further? not sure of that. but i note that he is a stringer.

    anyway, all these are just guess work. i think some informed personnels who know better of the agents, the photographer involved and the industry can shed better light, but hopefully not otherwise to mislead us. like i say much earlier, sometimes we have to rely on the credibility and professionality of the reportage photographers. they are supposed to show both sides of the stories as witnessed by them without bias. whether personally they have their own biased belief is one thing, but that should not be brought over to their work. there had been one young american war photographer that decided to put his camera aside halfway and picked up a pistol to fire, and i think that will endanger the lives of other war photographers when such principles are compromised. likewise, photographic enhancement needs to be judicious and manipulation need to be strictly forbidden.
    Photographers are just photographers.
    Agencies have their own photo team to edit the photos (i.e. hue, contrast, saturation, etc). That includes cropping if need. In theory this allows the photographers to concentrate on their forte, which is to take photos. In practice (i.e. Beijing Olympics) it speeds up things up at an amazing rate that the time to print is largely reducced.

    Most times, the editors tell the stories they want, not the photographers. They choose the photos, they dictate the story flow, and match pictures to stories.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •