Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Help, what is router?

  1. #1

    Default Help, what is router?

    I bought a back up system for my hard disk but purchased a wrong system. It is My book world edition III. It is NAS sytem not the USB type where you can connect directly and start to back up. I have to connect the ethernet cable directly into a router or network switch port.

    My home computer is connected to broadband asdl and station at my kitchen. How to make it work and get connected. I know nothing about computer router.

    Thanks for your advice.

    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=340

    Question.

    1 What is a router? What brand to buy?
    2 If I buy a router what else I need in order to make it work?
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Wrong forum to ask. This is photography forum. You will get better answer on this forum:
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com/

    Regards,
    Arto.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    I bought a back up system for my hard disk but purchased a wrong system. It is My book world edition III. It is NAS sytem not the USB type where you can connect directly and start to back up. I have to connect the ethernet cable directly into a router or network switch port.

    My home computer is connected to broadband asdl and station at my kitchen. How to make it work and get connected. I know nothing about computer router.

    Thanks for your advice.

    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=340

    Question.

    1 What is a router? What brand to buy?
    2 If I buy a router what else I need in order to make it work?

    I'd suggest you to go back to the store to exchange it for an USB version. Otherwise, you might want to get a router to create a network in your home. With the router, should you have more than one computer at home, they can share the same internet connection.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    NAS device are very useful...keep it...the GUI should be web based IIRC...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In the East
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    NAS (Network Attached Storage)~ If you wan portable storage that can bring along with u, then u have purchase e wrong one.

    NAS is like a storage server itself. You can connect it to a router or switch then any other computer in your network can access to it. Better features is that you can setup as a FTP server and access outside through internet.
    Canon 400D + 50L - Everyone was once a Noob

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Quote Originally Posted by namespace View Post
    I'd suggest you to go back to the store to exchange it for an USB version. Otherwise, you might want to get a router to create a network in your home. With the router, should you have more than one computer at home, they can share the same internet connection.
    Bought at sim lim square. I will try to exchange but need more info incase cannot return the product. And need to know what is the best options.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ichigo2 View Post
    NAS (Network Attached Storage)~ If you wan portable storage that can bring along with u, then u have purchase e wrong one.

    NAS is like a storage server itself. You can connect it to a router or switch then any other computer in your network can access to it. Better features is that you can setup as a FTP server and access outside through internet.
    Ok If I buy the router can it work. I have only asdl broadband at home. Don't have whatever network only one computer connected to asdl broadband.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In the East
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Yes, getting a router will share e internet access. Your pc and NAS will connect to the router. Router to the broadband modem.
    Canon 400D + 50L - Everyone was once a Noob

  9. #9
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    There are a few brands out there that are pretty common in the shops like Dlink, Linksys, Netgear, etc. Just be sure to configure the security settings if you're getting one that also supports wireless. Best if you could change your NAS to a portable USB storage device, would save you all the trouble.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  10. #10

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    Bought at sim lim square. I will try to exchange but need more info incase cannot return the product. And need to know what is the best options.
    check the exchange warranty...see what they say

    Quote Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
    Ok If I buy the router can it work. I have only asdl broadband at home. Don't have whatever network only one computer connected to asdl broadband.
    it will confirm work...

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In the East
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    There are a few brands out there that are pretty common in the shops like Dlink, Linksys, Netgear, etc. Just be sure to configure the security settings if you're getting one that also supports wireless. Best if you could change your NAS to a portable USB storage device, would save you all the trouble.
    Seriously speaking, i also agreed with him. Buying router is one thing, setting up is another thing. Although nowadays router is quite idiot proof, still i feel that getting a portable HDD is easier. I can just carry it around anywhere i like~
    Canon 400D + 50L - Everyone was once a Noob

  12. #12

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    If I remember correctly, you will need to install the software that comes with My Book World Edition III into the computer that you wish to access the drive remotely and limited to 5 computers.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    In addition, if you decided to get the router, make sure your ADSL broadband modem output is a network port (RJ45 jack) not USB. Not sure whether there are USB input connection for router but in general it accept only network connection as input (usually labelled as WAN or ADSL).

    You might want to advise me what is the make and model of your ADSL broadband modem.

    NOTE: RJ45 look similar to your normal phone jack, but instead of 4 copper pin it has 8 copper pins.
    Last edited by namespace; 25th July 2007 at 03:59 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Quote Originally Posted by namespace View Post
    NOTE: RJ45 look similar to your normal phone jack, but instead of 4 copper pin it has 8 copper pins.
    not all phone jack got 4lines...

  15. #15

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Quote Originally Posted by westwest2 View Post
    not all phone jack got 4lines...
    oops... miss out this... sometime 2 pins.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Help, what is router?

    Thank you. All of you were very helpful and will take note of the advise. Now I have to make a decision.
    Think of concepts and work towards it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •