Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do people argue about camera brands?

Default Re: Why do people argue about camera brands?

Many of us gone through lots of thinking and deliberation before making the decision to purchase any system or lenses. Suddenly u have some people putting their viewpoints and arguments and pro and con. And consciously / unconsciously participate in hours of lengthy discussion .. human nature . google it and u can find such discussions aplenty

As for equipments, IMHO, there is really no crime in buying faster lenses or equipments

I am not too bothered about people who purchase their expensive toys who do not make their mark either.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    are you sure about that? you need to surf more
    Maybe I do New member for a reason I think I hail from other forums where there is, hard as it is to imagine, even more finger pointing over gear.

Definitely no sin in buying good gear. I too have enjoyed my share of the good stuff and head-turning hardware. No sin in shooting with very little hardware either - you can get great images without too much investment. Agreed that toys are fun though.... if they weren't fun, we wouldn't buy them

Dream Merchant: I like the points you made about 'no camera'. If only I could frame grab straight out of my mind's eye. Good stories about your Lumix and the hawker too.

Actually, Mataini was correct in defining the ideal camera - it's one that is virtually 'non-existant' so there are no technicalities, no limitations etc to get in the way of creating what the mind and heart sees. If only...

I also remember one UK photo mag's review of the Canon F-1n. This guy described it in 'not too glamarous terms' (as compared to the bells and whistles cameras from other manufacturers at that time).

Yet, he admitted, to going back (subconsciously), again and again to what he referred to as 'an ugly, grubby brick' (I still have that magazine and review).

His conclusion was that the F-1n did it's job so unassumingly and unobtrusively that it did not imbue it's design characteristics and limitations onto the photographer, allowing him more time to focus on the real crux of the matter - creating photographs.

Guess that description of the F-1n was as close to the 'ideal' that Mataini envisioned.

A camera is just a tool to me; nothing more, nothing less. At the end of the day, I just dump it back in the 'tool-box' and get imprisioned by that other bloomin tool - the computer, editing work.

CHEERS!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 24th July 2007 at 08:35 PM.

Hahaha... if I were buying a car, can I be faulted for wanting to compare different manufacturers and models, to see which one is better or suits my needs? In my very humble opinion, the equipment itself is NOT UNimportant, but we should look at the overall picture (no pun intended) ie photographer's skills and his 'software'/ soft equipment.

Actually I find it a pity, I think we would all benefit if some discussions on pros and cons of various brands could be more mature (hope no one flames me for using this word).

But all in all, great forum to be in and to learn from. Peace

ps This thread has garnered quite a bit of interest. Since the thread was started about 6 hours ago, there have been 20 over replies.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish View Post
    Hahaha... if I were buying a car, can I be faulted for wanting to compare different manufacturers and models, to see which one is better or suits my needs? In my very humble opinion, the equipment itself is NOT UNimportant, but we should look at the overall picture (no pun intended) ie photographer's skills and his 'software'/ soft equipment.

Actually I find it a pity, I think we would all benefit if some discussions on pros and cons of various brands could be more mature (hope no one flames me for using this word).

But all in all, great forum to be in and to learn from. Peace

ps This thread has garnered quite a bit of interest. Since the thread was started about 6 hours ago, there have been 20 over replies.
    Good wisdom and certainly valid points. In the absence of the 'technically perfect' camera (that everybody would buy and nobody would argue about!), we have to be aware of the compromises we choose to make.

This thread has been a good, productive and very responsible discussion too.

Default Re: My Waaan Beeger Than Yaaaw Wan!!!

Well it is usually the same old few people, not really a lot of that crowd prance around the place. If you're really interested about WHY; the answer's simple, it's to defend their choice, to feel that they should justify why they have bought what they bought, why they are putting in so much money. In some cases they are not convinced themselves.

I don't know about you, but I would love to see more pictures on CS than argumentative, comparison threads, I agree they are not needed. Like espion once told me, neither the pessimist nor the optimist are correct - one should neither see just the half-full glass, nor the half-empty glass - they should see that the glass is both half-full and half-empty.

It's photography, so just shoot. If someone asks what the pros and cons are, just answer truthfully, no camera brand/model is perfect, you give some you lose some always.

^^er, how come the post title become like that, lol

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ....the answer's simple, it's to defend their choice, to feel that they should justify why they have bought what they bought, why they are putting in so much money. In some cases they are not convinced themselves.....
    I totally agreed to that. Who would spend thousands then say aiya Brand X is better actually huh ... then it will just show that he is "gong gong" buying without finding out more about the product, very loss face 1 lah. It is also the KS syndrome in SIN...therefore cannot loss, always mine is better mentality.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    Why do people argue about camera brands?
    I think the Japs are trying to start another world war by creating Nikon and Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think the Japs are trying to start another world war by creating Nikon and Canon.
    Then what about the other brands? =D What is their purpose?

Competition is good for the consumers. Choices choices and choices.
    Prices go down even when the GST goes up.
    It would be boring when we only have one camera brand/model available to us.
    Ah the beauty of Capitalism.

PEacE
    Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis of a government
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dithiolium View Post
    Competition is good for the consumers. Choices choices and choices.
    Prices go down even when the GST goes up.
    It would be boring when we only have one camera brand/model available to us.
    Ah the beauty of Capitalism.

PEacE
    People argue much here. See them in person and they'll argue less.

Good points Stonefish.

I remember trawling through endless pages at dpreview and other sites just to try and figure out the pros and cons of certain models. It didn't help that I was (and probably still am) digitally gundu.

I have simple needs. Gimme anyone oso can ... unless an assignment calls for very specific technical needs. Dun haf, rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Good points Stonefish.

I remember trawling through endless pages at dpreview and other sites just to try and figure out the pros and cons of certain models. It didn't help that I was (and probably still am) digitally gundu.

I have simple needs. Gimme anyone oso can ... unless an assignment calls for very specific technical needs. Dun haf, rent.
    That is, provided you have the time to rent and familiarise yourself with it first.

Sometimes no choice but of course go for those familiar with mah. Not macam I familiar with X brand, go and purposoly rent Y brand.

Sometimes no choice but of course go for those familiar with mah. Not macam I familiar with X brand, go and purposoly rent Y brand.
    No lah. Even Nikon to nikon cameras can differ in button placing.. if you need to change setting quickly you may press the wrong button out of "instinct".. eg d40 and d80 difference. Worse still, d40, d50, d70/s, d80 and the D200 and D2x/h even bigger difference.

Not that you don't know how to use.. sometimes there can be "instinct" problem. Happened to me before-I missed the shot. So now I reserve D2x for studio where I can take my time, and even if gabra never mind, but use my D40 for main.

Sorry, only know how to quote Nikon. I'm not familiar with Canon Digital SLR, only Canon film SLR.

Yah, I know what you mean/ Not like last time I have use 3 different brands on a single shoot (because i had no other bodies, so beg borrow or steal LOL!). Nowadays it almost takes a programming genius to understand all those buttons and worst still, one button on the same model not always the same function!

For the most important shots, I use all manual. But still must know what parameters are set. Digital age velli headache sometimes.

because one brand has everything inverted from the other.

i dropped an expensive nikon lens once thinking it was "tight" while turning in a direction meant for canon lenses. huge, heavy, and expensive lesson.

Yah, I know what you mean/ Not like last time I have use 3 different brands on a single shoot (because i had no other bodies, so beg borrow or steal LOL!). Nowadays it almost takes a programming genius to understand all those buttons and worst still, one button on the same model not always the same function!

For the most important shots, I use all manual. But still must know what parameters are set. Digital age velli headache sometimes.
    Me lazy bum use P mode all the time, otherwise A or S (P, Av, Tv). Manual is reserved for studio or when I'm using multiple flashguns (I'm cheapo, I don't use multiple SB 800s with TTL.. I use multiple $60 flashguns )

Default Re: My Waaan Beeger Than Yaaaw Wan!!!

I remember nong nong ago, when I first got my Panasonic Lumix FZ-10 (black of course!), I had a LARRGE blaaack rubber hood attached to it. The hood had a red red ring in front. At Chinatown I take photo, a group of youngish photogs all carry fierce fierce DSLR peek peek to see my cam. After awhile, heard one comment to the others "Chey! Lumix only lah!" and they walk away. I just smile and continue to shoot.

Also, remember the posting of one CSer oso nong nong ago after take photo went Newton Hawker Center to makan? One ah pek hawker serving the guy food saw his DSLR and said something like "Wah! U got deegital ah? I also got! My one 1Ds har!" LOL!
    Wah piang, own DSLR need to be so how lian ah? lol. Dun think camera brands are much of an issue, so long as the pics are decently clear and I'm comfortable with the built and handling. Its true that due to technical implications imposed by the design and choice of components, some cameras may not perform on par with other cameras in certain aspects. Well i guess the marginal difference in performance ain't too serious nowadays. You take some you lose some.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by psychobiologist View Post
    a very large portion of CS is about equipment :P
    SImple lor.. post more pictures to silence these people lor...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12