Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

  1. #1

    Default Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    Does anyone know which brand of set top box works with Starhub Digital? There's a card in the set top box right? I imagine if I take it out, and slot it into another similar box, it would work.

    I am trying to set up 2 points in my house to have Starhub. No need to be at the same time because there are only 2 people in my home... So, all I need is 1 card which I can bring around... but very troublesome to bring the box here and there leh...

    Does anyone know where I can buy a box that works with the Starhub card?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    well... dun think so...

    if have, i sure buy 1 with hdmi or component... the one with recording function have component, but kinda sucks as it does not have 16:9 and the normal digital have 16:9 but seem redundant...

    overall... these set top suxs...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well... dun think so...

    if have, i sure buy 1 with hdmi or component... the one with recording function have component, but kinda sucks as it does not have 16:9 and the normal digital have 16:9 but seem redundant...

    overall... these set top suxs...
    Yah... they suck, and they make you pay lots of money to rent it. If you want a 2nd one, they will charge you $12+GST per month for it.

    The normal digital box does not have hdmi or component. For my DVD player, I connect both HDMI and component. the HDMI transfers the signals to integrate the remote, while the component gives better image and sound. Don't think HDMI can ever compare with good component cables. The contact surface alone would suffer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Yah... they suck, and they make you pay lots of money to rent it. If you want a 2nd one, they will charge you $12+GST per month for it.

    The normal digital box does not have hdmi or component. For my DVD player, I connect both HDMI and component. the HDMI transfers the signals to integrate the remote, while the component gives better image and sound. Don't think HDMI can ever compare with good component cables. The contact surface alone would suffer.
    depends lah... doesn't mean contact surface wins... its the technology...

    look at Sata vs IDE cable...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    depends lah... doesn't mean contact surface wins... its the technology...

    look at Sata vs IDE cable...
    Sata and IDE are carrying digital data. The data coming out of DVD players, CD players, set top boxes, etc... are usually analog. So, the quality of the cables become very important. I spend more for the CD player interconnect because there are more details there, and I like music.

    I spend less on DVD/TV interconnects because I don't care very much if the helicopter sound, or bomb blast sounds, etc... are not as good as they can be. As long as reasonably good can liao.

  6. #6
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Does anyone know which brand of set top box works with Starhub Digital? There's a card in the set top box right? I imagine if I take it out, and slot it into another similar box, it would work.

    I am trying to set up 2 points in my house to have Starhub. No need to be at the same time because there are only 2 people in my home... So, all I need is 1 card which I can bring around... but very troublesome to bring the box here and there leh...

    Does anyone know where I can buy a box that works with the Starhub card?

    Thanks.
    Dun think u can get one ( legally )

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Sata and IDE are carrying digital data. The data coming out of DVD players, CD players, set top boxes, etc... are usually analog. So, the quality of the cables become very important. I spend more for the CD player interconnect because there are more details there, and I like music.

    I spend less on DVD/TV interconnects because I don't care very much if the helicopter sound, or bomb blast sounds, etc... are not as good as they can be. As long as reasonably good can liao.
    not really leh...

    HDMI & DVI are well, digital cables, component and such are analogs... thats y i say compare with Sata & IDE...

    SATA is alot more thinner with i think 4-8 cables compared to about 40 cables... difference is, 1 is running on serial & 1 on parallel... its the technology behind it...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    not really leh...

    HDMI & DVI are well, digital cables, component and such are analogs... thats y i say compare with Sata & IDE...

    SATA is alot more thinner with i think 4-8 cables compared to about 40 cables... difference is, 1 is running on serial & 1 on parallel... its the technology behind it...
    I am not 100% sure of the technology involved in HDMI because I'm new to it. If what you say is true, then you will need a digital to analog converter in the TV for the DVD player to work through the HDMI cable. So, the digital signals are sent through the HDMI cables, and converted at the TV end. If that is indeed true, then the money you spend on high-end DVD players (with good digital-analog converters, capacitors, regulating clocks, etc) will go to waste.

    My suspicion is... the HDMI cable carries both digital and analog signals. But I will check when I have time.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    I just read that HDMI transmits Transmission Minimized Digital Signal (TMDS). So, I would imagine the quality of the signal would depend on the quality of the coding/decoding.

    So, I think if you use a good DVD player with a good Digital to Audio converter, it would be better to use quality component cables. However, if you use a regular DVD player, then a suitable HDMI cable will yield the same result as components.

    I use the Samsung LA32R71BX LCD monitor in my bedroom, paired with a Samsung DVD-R155 DVD recorder. Personally, I think the quality of the image is slightly better using my Belkin component cables (Blue Series) compared to the Samsung supplied HDMI cable.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    I am not 100% sure of the technology involved in HDMI because I'm new to it. If what you say is true, then you will need a digital to analog converter in the TV for the DVD player to work through the HDMI cable. So, the digital signals are sent through the HDMI cables, and converted at the TV end. If that is indeed true, then the money you spend on high-end DVD players (with good digital-analog converters, capacitors, regulating clocks, etc) will go to waste.

    My suspicion is... the HDMI cable carries both digital and analog signals. But I will check when I have time.

    Why do you think HDMI is only available in LCD/Plasma TVs? It's because LCD is digital and you don't need a DAC if you HDMI. You would need an ADC inside the TV if you're putting in analog signals.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Alternative Starhub Set Top Box

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Why do you think HDMI is only available in LCD/Plasma TVs? It's because LCD is digital and you don't need a DAC if you HDMI. You would need an ADC inside the TV if you're putting in analog signals.
    Yah hor...

    So the only difference would be in the sound...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •