Thread: wide angle lens/ macro converter

Default wide angle lens/ macro converter

Hi,

I'm a dSLR newbie, and thinking of getting a wide angle lens/ macro converter to try my hand at macro/ wide angle shots. Any idea how much they cost, and where in Singapore I can purchase such converters?

Thanks.

Default Re: wide angle lens/ macro converter

Quote Originally Posted by purpledino View Post
    Hi,

I'm a dSLR newbie, and thinking of getting a wide angle lens/ macro converter to try my hand at macro/ wide angle shots. Any idea how much they cost, and where in Singapore I can purchase such converters?

Thanks.
    DSLRs dun need wide angle converters, as there are wide angle lenses, fish eye lenses, zoom leses, telephoto lenses, wide angle with macro lenses, etc. DSLRs can change to any of these lenses.

DSLRs differ from prosumers as prosumers require converters bec of their fixed lenses. Meaning, prosumers cannot change lenses.

Cheers ...

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    DSLRs dun need wide angle converters, as there are wide angle lenses, fish eye lenses, zoom leses, telephoto lenses, wide angle with macro lenses, etc. DSLRs can change to any of these lenses.

DSLRs differ from prosumers as prosumers require converters bec of their fixed lenses. Meaning, prosumers cannot change lenses.

Cheers ...
    Dude, he's looking for a cheaper alternative to buying lenses.

You can add a "macro converter" (the term is closeup lens) to you lens to give you a certain degree of magnification depending on the dioptre of the closeup lens.

You should be able to get these conversion lenses at any of the camera shop giants. I got my +4 closeup filter at Cathay Photo Marina not too long ago.

Regarding the wide converter, I do have a screw-on one for my A710IS, but I'm not sure if it'll work on top of SLR lenses. You might want to check it out at the camera shop.

Quote Originally Posted by purpledino View Post
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Firstly, can you please tell us what system you are using and what lenses you have. Then we can see if you've got a wide enough reach.

I know that you can do macro using the reverse lens method (Costs: $0)
    Or you can get a close-up filter
    Or you can get some extension tubes

Wide Angle, so far the best bet is to get a wide angle lens becasue I have not heard of wide-angle converters for SLR lenses since you can get a wider angle lens.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

There is a useful FAQ here. A few recommended add-on lenses mentioned there too.

Hi,

thanks for all your replies.

My system is an Olympus E510 with 14-42mm kit lens, and 40-150 lens....

Yup, am looking for cheaper alternatives to getting new macro/wideangle lenses...

are wide angle / closeup converters like these

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...?sku=SAKDOWA58

any good?

thanks!

I'm finding one of such for my G2 too!! wahahaha... how much does it cost for one
    Last edited by bokeh1.8; 25th July 2007 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo