Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where's the four million smiles?

Default Re: Where's the four million smiles?

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    The lady looked me in the eyes and then looked into my passport. When she again looked up at me, I asked her “Where’s the million dollar smile”. She stared into me and said “the delegates have gone home and the smiling campaign is over lah”.
    she could have smiled in embaressment & just get it over with you... her remark could be seen as quite rude, when i read it here... i can imagine she wouldn't dare to say it to an ang mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Sky View Post
    I find Singaporeans very practical and obedient lots.
    We smile when we are asked to and save the smile on most others occasions.

Once, I came into Singapore during wee hours via T2. I took a rather fast pace and was the first to reach the immigration counters. As I descended from the escalator, I saw two sets of grinning white behind the counters greeting each other. The ladies turned toward me as I approach, the smiles was immediately wiped off from their faces. The lady looked me in the eyes and then looked into my passport. When she again looked up at me, I asked her “Where’s the million dollar smile”. She stared into me and said “the delegates have gone home and the smiling campaign is over lah”.
    When I walked away I looked back again only to see the two sets of grinning teeth greeting each other again.
    For once, I am dead sure I am back home, in Singapore.

I have similar experiences when getting into Singapore via the Woodlands check points.
    Is it a practice for those immigration officers to put up a stern look?
    Did you smile first? Or ask her about her million dollar smile with a stern face also?
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    In some countries if you smile at the immigration officer and they smile back sooner or later you and a few policemen are going to have a nice cup of coffee under the suspicion of bribery.

Immigration/customs officers are supposed to be stern, as far as I know, they have to depersonalise everyone they process. Smiling at one and not smiling at another might result in equally nittypicky people spreading rubbish about them letting the people they like go through easily, etc.

Don't know, don't anyhow spread rubbish and nitpick at everything. You like smiles so much, go and smile in the mirror. SPREAD THOSE LIPS! I bet if they smile at you you'll start a thread saying that they try to seduce you, and so unbecoming of a civil servant. Some people just can't be pleased, eh, will twist anything anyway they want. I hope the admin finally realises what a blatant troublemaker you are, and carries out positive action. If you ask me, the quality of these forums are lowered by your malicious presence.
    There is a happier life waiting for you, if you try to be less of the bananaman.
    Please do not see all opposite sentiments and views as complaint or malicious lies, because every one of us has difference experiences and needs.
    Let go of me and those people who form the opposite views from you. I suggest you put me in your ignore list.
    By the way, who are we to judge others, there’s a teaching “Do not judge and you will not be judge”.
    It is also important for you not to prognosticate too much into other people thinking, because it really makes you look like a bananaman. I feel that smiling is a very important part of social etiquette, and I will not think that when people smile at me, they are trying to seduce me or something like that.

Look at your previous statement and you can judge your own personality:

This one of your response to Waileong thread, neither Par Chiao nor I is interested in your engagement with others. But I can tell that you have me in your heart. You really have to let me go.
    And then after a while, a Silent Sky would descend, along with a few Par Chiao people; and all will run amok before a big bad Gang of Wolves comes in to carry out crowd control.”

This one belong to the PM’s Son thread, seriously I see no one complaining in the whole thread except for yours. Get some good friends to help you read and then form a better opinion.
    “Ha, well it takes one to know another; it started off as complaining, now it's just bored mudslinging.”

This one belongs to shs thread which says something was stolen. This is how you branded Singaporean compared to me saying we lack of smiles.
    “That's sad, shoplifted it off? Sick Singaporeans”
    “Well, it is more likely to be Singaporean than anyone else! You don't see people going on trips to STEAL LENSES, do you?”

This one belongs to Ah Kiat thread. This is how you feel about fellow CSers.
    “For example, imagine Clubsnap in a non-digital age, if it even existed, you'd have to go to a billboard somewhere to read threads.. And people not happy with what you say they just tear your reply out and 'delete' it. Or just vandalise it with pictures of Porky Pig, etc.
    In fact, I don't think the billboard will exist after a while, since there are so many emo people in CS..”

You do not have to teach the Admin what to do, they will close this thread if they find it malicious. I have confidence in the Admin.
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 24th July 2007 at 11:37 AM.

In some countries if you smile at the immigration officer and they smile back sooner or later you and a few policemen are going to have a nice cup of coffee under the suspicion of bribery.
    Can you let me know which country you are referring to where smiling at officer will arouse suspicion of bribery? Or a smiling officer is actually asking for bribery?
    I will try not smile when I enter that country.

Immigration/customs officers are supposed to be stern, as far as I know, they have to depersonalise everyone they process. Smiling at one and not smiling at another might result in equally nittypicky people spreading rubbish about them letting the people they like go through easily, etc.
    May I know why in the first place officers have the practice of smiling at one and not at others? Are they practising discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    Did you smile first? Or ask her about her million dollar smile with a stern face also?
    Hello:

I can't remember did I smile first but I asked the question jokingly.
    I think it is very important for forntline service staffs to wear a smile at all time.
    It is where tourists and visitors form the first impression about our country.

I really do not know about the immigration code of conduct, are the officer told not to smile or what?

Talking abt smiling at the immigration counter, there was once i really tried very hard not to smile when i was in Hanoi airport. The officer at the counter has got one of the most retro hairstyle i've seen. And basket, my friend kept turning back to me and breaking out in laughters. I must tell you it's one of the most "tortured" clearance i've done, for i had to act really stern when it's my turn....in case i offended him and spend my trip in the airport...

aiyah. been in and out of airport so often. sometimes they smile, sometimes they just nod, sometimes they just take your passport, glance and you, then stamp and wave you on...

depends on the person, the day, the mood.

anyway i've never found the counter staff anything less than polite. often friendly, esp if you smile too.

the 4 million smile thing was silly, that's not really new.

why you wanna flog this horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng View Post
    Talking abt smiling at the immigration counter, there was once i really tried very hard not to smile when i was in Hanoi airport. The officer at the counter has got one of the most retro hairstyle i've seen. And basket, my friend kept turning back to me and breaking out in laughters. I must tell you it's one of the most "tortured" clearance i've done, for i had to act really stern when it's my turn....in case i offended him and spend my trip in the airport...
    Hahaha, I can imagine that.

I went to Ho Chi Ming and the officers place their Cap on the left hand side of the counter.
    Is it the same in Hanoi?

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    then what happened? was he released?
    probably dead.

the funny thing is that i never really get any smiles from immigration officers regardless of the country i'm landing in...but i always get smiles from and even chat up customs...

Too free? Too bored? Or do some of you feel the need to come online to pick a fight with cynical or sarcastic comments?

Honestly, grow up. Take this some where else or in PM. This forum wasn't set up for you to come here and bicker over issues such as these.

Any else starts anything along this line again will have have their account revoked.

I am sick and tired of reminding the usual suspects time and time again over what CS is for and what we do not allow. Take this as your final warning.

I always try to go to a woman immigration officer here in Singapore, and I always say 'hello!' when I approached her......

HS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12